Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to the forum and I have played a few battles with the Chaos marines so far. The more I read through the codex the more I want to go with some raptors over my berzerkers. The reason is because A Raptor squad with furious charge along with their daemonic flight, daemonic visage, and hit and run rules looks effective. What I am thinking after charging a squad and if it doesnt fail its moral check, falling back the 3d6 in. shooting and then charging right back in the next chance I get(with the furious charge bonus again). Looks real good on paper how does it work on the table anyone use this tactic?

·
389 Posts
Raptors are good, no doubt about it. They do lack the oomph of berzerkers in cc, though. The biggest problem with raptors is that they don't have the numbers to really blow stuff away in cc. A tooled up aspiring champion helps, but also increases the cost.

I often field a unit of raptors around 6-7 guys and an aspiring champion. Three meltaguns and a pair of lightning claws on the champ has worked very well for me. The champ does most of the damage in cc with the rest of the squad adding their weight to the charge. If you are gonna use them in assault, then an aspiring champ is a must. At least with a power weapon, but do try out the claws...

Meltaguns are good since they are assault weapons and can give you a couple of kills before you charge in, and the squad can make a very effective tank buster as well. I have tried using plasma guns/pistols, but it has not worked quite as well for me. Plasma guns make the group very shootish, but they are expensive models to lose to overheating.

I suggest you look into infiltrate for veteran skill, it suits raptors very well. Furious charge can also be good, but then you are looking at a very expensive squad.

Arizzar

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds good. I was thinking about having 3 plasma pistols with the furious charge veteran skill so I could shoot em up and then charge in fall back shoot em up again and then charge right back in and get the +1 I and S every turn that combined with your idea for the 2 lightning claws should cause some damage. Might be an expensive squad but would it be worth it? I havnt had too much luck with berzerkers they seem to get shot up on the way in and then there arent enough of them left to do any damage in CC maybe I need more of them. Bloodletters on the other hand just seem to tear everything apart.

·
Librarian from Hell
4,133 Posts
However tempting the plasmapistol seems to a cc-squad, I beg you to rethink.

You get to shoot one S7 shot before charging, this may overheat and whops, there goes ~40points. True you get the extra attack in CC, but since it's not a powerweapon attack it's not a really important attack anyway.
If you take three meltas on the other hand you'd get a insta-kill T4 shot, not to be sneared upon, and that lovely extra die when shooting at tanks. Not to mention the AP1 bonus.

I like Furious Charge as much as my fellow Chaotican but if I were to field my Raptors I would take Infiltrate before I took the F. Charge. I would however consider avoiding the MoCU in order to get them both.

Tool up the Champ to get that extra "Ohmpa" in CC and go meltas for Spec.weapons.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts