Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, firstly, hey all! New to the forums so bear with me here.

Here is my dilemma. I recently began collecting a Necron army (around 2.3k points atm). And so far all i have fought is Chaos space marines and blood angels. Melee kings of 40k. First game i played i got tabled :p Second game i played i came pretty close to wiping out the Chaos Space marines, but i unfortunately phased out before that could happen. In this particular game i used a lith, lord with a veil and res orb, deceiver, 35 warriors (11- 12 in three squads), 9 destroyers, and 10 scarabs. This is all i have atm and we were playing a 2000 pt game. Sorry for the long monologue, but hey im new. Basically, what is a good strategy vs heavy melee army's like chaos space marines and such. One thing i do know is that we stink at close combat, so i used the lith and the veil as much as i could to port things out of combat. Pointers, lists, anything you can give would be great.

Sincerely, Noob ;)

·
Registered
3,653 Posts
Basically the thing you can do with current codex is deploy everything back and close to each other, castling stuff behind Monolith and Scarabs. Then you just shoot away untill he gets into close-combat and pray you don't get swept so you have something left to teleport out of combat.

When combat happens you don't really have much except Lord and C'Tan to depend on. I equip my basic Lord with Resurrection Orb (duh!), Warscythe and Gaze of Flame and stick him into the unit which is most likely to get charged. The Gaze of Flame does wonders alone by removing the assault bonus from the enemy and Warscythe really cuts it in close-combat.

If you see your Lords unit will be overrun by undefeatable close-combat death star, then this is what I do: in Movement phase I remove Lord from the unit and move him towards the death star. In Shooting Phase the unit will shoot the death star. Then I'll assault with the Lord alone. Yes, he probably dies. But the catch is as he dies alone he can use Orb and has 50% chance to WBB back, when if I had him removed due to the whole unit being swept he would be 100% permanently removed from game.

·
1,880 Posts
Also, my favorite trick is the Deceiver's ability to escape combat lets him tie up 2 squads in a weird way. Basically you escape during his turn (and the squad he was engaged with missed their move last turn). Then you move 2d6 in the direction you want, and either re-engage them if you need to, OR pick another target...thus allowing some serious mobility to cut down his guys. Also by disengaging you can shoot the crap out of them before engaging :)

·
You Can't Kill the Metal
264 Posts
Welcome! Assaulty armies are the bane of Necrons. That being said, your next investment should definitely be a Monolith. For survivability you can keep your Warriors close to both a res orb and a monolith. With the res orb close by they're almost guaranteed WBB... and if one particular unit fails a bunch of their WBB rolls you can pull them through the monolith portal and re-roll their failed WBBs. This is also handy for pulling your units out of combat.... but will only go so far. Its annoying to your opponent but they've basically got you on the ropes at this point since they can assault you again (which is why you should take Gaze of Flame). Although with this tactic I've been able to successfully pull myself out of combat, and then rapid fire the holy living hell out of the unit that was assaulting my Warriors. Just make sure there isn't a demolisher cannon close by because when you go through the monolith portal, you'll be all bunched up, using a blast template as an umbrella.

So... what to do? Say out of combat at all costs. The best way I've found is by using a shield of scarabs. Ideally you'd want to take two, but then you're giving up a slot which should be used for Destroyers. So it would probably be most beneficial to max out 1 squad and deploy them in a line in front of your troops.

I think Veil of Darkness is a waste of points unless it's being used to move either 15-20 Warriors, or 7-10 Immortals. Also, as fun as the Deceiver is, it may make more sense for you to take 2 Lords... both with a Res Orb and GoF (And maybe a Warscythe if you have the points to spare).

So, my suggestion is to pick up a Monolith, another box of Warriors, and another Destroyer... With that you could build a list like this:

2 Lords (Both with RO, GoF, & WS)
330pts

12 Warriors
11 Warriors
11 Warriors
11 Warriors
810pts

5 Destroyers
5 Destroyers
500pts

10 Scarabs
120pts

Monolith
235pts

Total: 1995pts

·
You Can't Kill the Metal
264 Posts
Welcome! Assaulty armies are the bane of Necrons. That being said, your next investment should definitely be a Monolith. For survivability you can keep your Warriors close to both a res orb and a monolith. With the res orb close by they're almost guaranteed WBB... and if one particular unit fails a bunch of their WBB rolls you can pull them through the monolith portal and re-roll their failed WBBs. This is also handy for pulling your units out of combat.... but will only go so far. Its annoying to your opponent but they've basically got you on the ropes at this point since they can assault you again (which is why you should take Gaze of Flame). Although with this tactic I've been able to successfully pull myself out of combat, and then rapid fire the holy living hell out of the unit that was assaulting my Warriors. Just make sure there isn't a demolisher cannon close by because when you go through the monolith portal, you'll be all bunched up, using a blast template as an umbrella.

So... what to do? Say out of combat at all costs. The best way I've found is by using a shield of scarabs. Ideally you'd want to take two, but then you're giving up a slot which should be used for Destroyers. So it would probably be most beneficial to max out 1 squad and deploy them in a line in front of your troops.

I think Veil of Darkness is a waste of points unless it's being used to move either 15-20 Warriors, or 7-10 Immortals. Also, as fun as the Deceiver is, it may make more sense for you to take 2 Lords... both with a Res Orb and GoF (And maybe a Warscythe if you have the points to spare).

So, my suggestion is to pick up a Monolith, another box of Warriors, and another Destroyer... With that you could build a list like this:

2 Lords (Both with RO, GoF, & WS)
330pts

12 Warriors
11 Warriors
11 Warriors
11 Warriors
810pts

5 Destroyers
5 Destroyers
500pts

10 Scarabs
120pts

Monolith
235pts

Total: 1995pts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Ok. There are a few things that I see. First, you are not afraid to field a C'tan, like some cron players, you have a bunch of warriors, and somehow, you have not yet won a game against these assault armies. A few things that I do because I play against Chaos Marines and Nids on a regular bassis, I field a lord with a res. Orb, a C'tan (does not matter which one), 3 monoliths to form a kind of triangle around your army at the start of the game. This formation is to have a lith in the front, C'tan right behind it. Warriors behind them but within the res orb range, the other two liths on each corner in the back to help discourage outflank and deepstrike. Then I use anywhere between 8-10 destroyers in two squads with one on each side. Then any left over points that you have, spend it however you want, most prefeably on anything that adds to your phase out number.

Reactions: NecronNoob

·
Registered
257 Posts
Here is a list that I use for this tactic.

Deciever. 300
Necon Lord: res orb, gof, ws. 165

Warriors x 14. 252
Warriors x 15. 270

Destroyers x 3. 150
Destroyers x 3. 150

Monolith. 235
Monolith. 235
Monolith. 235
1992pts
phase out at 9.

Yes I know that the phase out number is low, but with the three lits, you can use portal anyturn to pop your crons back up, or to get them out of bieng locked in close combat.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you all for the tips!! -jots down-. Very helpful! I wont be playing these guys for another few weeks but i plan on using the advice yall gave me, thx again. Oh, and i plan on getting two more liths later this month, cant really put a ton of money into my army, so its gonna take a while, thanks a bunch!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts