Librarium Online Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know how to make chaos terrain cos i'm gonna start collectin them as well!

·
Registered
223 Posts
Whether you are doing 40k or FB make it look miserable and like Dark Ages Europe and it will look Chaos-like - or rather it will look like a place where chaos is beginning to take hold. (roads lined with crucified people, 8 arrow chaos icons on poles, spikes in the ground, burnt down buildings, heaps of smouldering skulls and so forth.

If you want it to be full on chaos wastes then do the same but make it go up a notch, model trees with offcuts of figures growing out of them (faces & arms etc) to look like they have been fused together. Similar with the architecture.

A good effect I once saw was a pit cut into the poly board and filled with writhing figures and tentacles and suchlike from beasts of Nurgle and other offcuts all painted up but a lot darker than usual, then a piece of glass is placed over the top (I think it may have had a thin transparent layer of PVA added to the underside to add a bit of murkiness to it. The whole effect looked like a chaos warped lake (or pond depending on the size) with figures trapped and struggling under the surface.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Generally my idea would be scorched earth with only a few pathes of grass, heaps of bodies, fleshy terrain, gnarled trees, icons of chaos all around the place.
That's at least the general look I would make.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Originally posted by Dragonslayero@Nov 13 2003, 23:55
Generally my idea would be scorched earth with only a few pathes of grass, heaps of bodies, fleshy terrain, gnarled trees, icons of chaos all around the place.
That sounds easy enough to make cos i have plenty of left over arms etc. from my imperial guard armies, i saved a whole sprue! I'll try it and see what happens but if it doesn't work then i'll just build a terrain piece for my Tau instead.

Thanks for the tips though.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
You do that, and then just convert a model clad in a long trenchcoat and hockey mask and arm him with a chainsaw then the theme is perfect!

I like you idea with the IG bodies, cause that's the normal thing I think of when thinking of bodies in the 40K universe :lol:

You all just maybe persuaded me too here!
I'm gonna do a lot of terrain for a new gaming club so this look like a nice oppurtunity!

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I like the idea with the hockey mask and chainsaw, maybe also include figures stood holding large poles with dead IG men skewered all the way down it!

I'll see how it goes and let you know Dragonslayero

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Sure you do that.
Anyway take a look in the december edition of White dwarf there should be an idea on chaos terrain there.
The themed terrain for "Firewarrior".
A nice courtyard which shai the firewarrior has to cross under fire from some word bearers.

The terrain look great so have a look at it...

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes i know what you mean from 'Firewarrior'

Its that big field of trench systems that you have to get through to get to 'The Pit' isn't it?

I might theme something round 'The Pit' that would not only make for interesting games but the construction of it would be entertaining to see what ideas i can use for the swirling Chaos pit at the bottom of that beam of energy.

What would you think to something like that Dragonslayero?

What are you thinking of doing for your gaming club?

Cheers :D !

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Ok I didn't mean you should make a complete replica of the "pit" in WD, I just meant it as an idea on how chaos terrain could look.

About the geming club we're starting, we're not gonna get to use the place until the 7th of december so we haven't decided yet.
One thing is for sure... it's gonna be good!
I mean like real good.
Some ideas have been put forth...

Examples could be a piece destroyed powerlines, I have the scetches at home and I just might even post em here on the site.
But I gotta run now, someone needs help moving a jet engine here...

Cheers! :D

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey Dragonslayero where is your club based, i might try to call in if its anywhere nearby.

Let me know and i'll try to get to you.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
First of all...
Where you from?

This club is located in the old police station in Stavanger, Norway.
A place called Metropolis.

If you happen to be nearby you can have a peep inside on sunday the 7th of december.
That's when we're gonna start it up.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
NO can do pal. I live in the UK.

Nice to know that good fans like us can keep in touch.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Hmmm...
Ah well a little long to travel but I guess you can afford that every sunday right? :rolleyes:

Nah just kidding...
But if you should ever be over here sometime feel free to stick your head inside, just ask anyone for SSF (Stavanger Spill Forening), or just ask for directions to "Metropolis" or the old police station.
This includes anyone reading this, feel free to drop by.

Anyway this has gone waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay of topic lets get back on it shall we?

·
Registered
735 Posts
Check out the Chaos terrain on the GW black gobbo site...pretty kool stuff.
Black Gobbo

WAAAGH! Chaos scenery

·
Registered
7 Posts
Can i just let members know (especially the Moderators) that my previous account (Lone Wolf) has for some reason been suspended and i am currently in the process of trying to sort the problem out.

If anyone would like to contact me in the meantime then i have created this new account under the name of Wolf.

Thankyou!

·
Registered
816 Posts
I made some simple but great looking chaos terrain long ago, inspired by the computer game Doom 2. Anyone remember the men with spikes through their waists, like freshly collected butterflies? I made some of them using thin nails and tallarn casualty models, attached to cardboard bases. Looks incredibly horrible.

Reminds me of the plains of hell in Diablo 2, with the damned chained to burning fires, screaming and reaching out to hurt anyone passing by. Those fires would be very cool for a world freshly invaded by chaos. Easy to make too, zombie models, cotton whool, fine chain and small sticks should do the trick.

I think one needs to show torture to give the impression of true evil :ph34r:

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for your advice absoluther.

I have seen Doom 3D which will be coming out on the PC sometime this year and some of the terrain on there looks real cool so i might try some of that.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.