Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Murder
3,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been messing with the idea of making a hell-forsaken daemon/chaos/whatever world for the gigantic table I have, I will be having a sort of warp rift in the middle of the table as some various pieces of terrain for cover and things such as, a giant khorne symbol statue, a pile of skulls - for the skull god ;), and random bits of mashed up random terrain.
My question is about the color, or any other ways I could make it totally insane and chaos-ey?

The first was a mock up of what I wanted, pretty happy with the idea, just a chaos symbol in the center of four obelisks that when blah blah magic and stuff happens a rift is opened, I'm not sure about what I will do for the actual symbol when it comes down to that, but one idea is just raise that whole level to a sort of small crater and paint the symbol on it with smaller writing around the edges for some spells and things, you know how it goes.

This one is for scale of the table in full.

Here is some Khorne next to the mock up.

Yes its that big, the table and the rift.

I made the obelisks out of just styrofoam (sp?) if thats what it is, because I simply have nothing else to use, and I like how it looks when its spray painted because the rift would of been here for thousands of years and not exactly kept in the best condition, I may lay wires and some other gizmos maybe along side the obelisks to give them some more detail but that will be much later.

This is the symbol of khorne, Its a bit rough, but I'll be making a plasticard shell for it basically with some cracks and bits and pieces to simulate the wear and tear of lying on a battlefield for many many thousands of years.

Random piece of terrain to sit troops behind, I want heads on the poles and I will probably have to practice with GS to make the skulls as I'm running short from the sprues I have.

And at this point is where I stop with the updates, as my girlfriend will still be here for a few days I can't work TOO much on this project, but on a separate note, the khorne bezerkers are almost done :)

I was wondering if there was maybe a need to put some sort of warp pits, or anything else weird like that? I was thinking a sort of chaos space port as well because a rift can't do ALL the work right? or maybe tentacles coming up from the ground, random mouths on the floor.

Any suggestions on what would make it more chaos-ey would be very much appreciated either with respect or rep, whatever you prefer, I would rather not offer the rep but my posts don't seem to attract much attention unless its about stupid things, then everyone jumps on-board to ridicule me.

·
Murder
3,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You've been busy, its not exactly what I was looking for, sorry.
Anyone know of any concept art of chaos worlds? that would be fantastic if there is such a thing.

·
Banned
804 Posts
Small cracks with lava flows inside.
That's really all you could do, except a bunch of symbols, maybe make some out of corpses?

Also don't just do the Khorne one, do ones for Slaanesh, Tzeentch, and Nurgle.
They could be objective markers.

·
Murder
3,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah I was thinking about making all 4 anyway since there is 4 corner on the table for one thing...
But cracks are so 2dimensional thats why I wanted something more, but I just can't seem to do it? what about colors? dark red/black/grey?

·
Registered
113 Posts
For cracks in the earth i would suggest drawing an outline on the table, then building it up using styrofoam, to look kind of like the edge of a crater. then just mix some blood red in with some PVA glue and por it into the cracks. then just ad in some swirls of golden yellow or something.

·
Murder
3,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Could I just as easily mix the paint with the glue and paint that on? I had made "cracks" on the edge of the obelisks to sort of show a warp ripping the earth apart with its evil powers or whatever but it proved too difficult to do.
I'll do some test runs tomorrow and see what I come up with :)

·
Registered
116 Posts
Do exploding obelisks, where the upper halves are fracturing into pieces. Simply create an obelisk out of foam, and cut ragged chunks out of it. then mount the chunks back on with toothpicks or wire with some space between them and their respective hole, using the bulk of the chunk to conceal the mounting. The effect looks really dynamic and threatening.

·
LO's Resident Time Lord
3,270 Posts
Obelisks are a good idea, especially if they're mobile. Don't like 'em? Pitch 'em later! ;)

Did you read the "Eisenhorn" trilogy? They went to a chaos planet at one point, or rather, a warp-tainted planet or something like that. Eisenhorn said it "felt" weird. Not sure how you model that, but some of the structures he mentioned were interesting.

What about ruins? Maybe the planet is somehow on the edge between realms, and once had imperial buildings on it? Maybe something that got sucked into the Eye and wound up on the surface of your table?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Could I just as easily mix the paint with the glue and paint that on? I had made "cracks" on the edge of the obelisks to sort of show a warp ripping the earth apart with its evil powers or whatever but it proved too difficult to do.
I'll do some test runs tomorrow and see what I come up with :)
The paint should mix easily with the PVA glue. I say use PVA glue in specific because once PVA glue dries, it is clear, which then it would only leave the colour of your paint

·
Murder
3,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Do exploding obelisks
Thats not actually a bad idea, not only is it threatening but it gives the vision that it IS an unstable world.

WEll you've senmy choas world scenery tuturoial on the bottom so that about alli can add for now. When it comes to concepts just crusise the internet and scribble down anything you see. ANYTHING can look good is exictued properly
I've been reading the BGB and both chaos codex' I have trying to get a good idea of the warp and eye of terror and I think I do have a hang on it now, But there is still quite a lot to discover

The paint should mix easily with the PVA glue. I say use PVA glue in specific because once PVA glue dries, it is clear, which then it would only leave the colour of your paint
well I'm not so sure about all this yet, But I will certainly do a few tests to see how it all comes along.

Obelisks are a good idea, especially if they're mobile. Don't like 'em? Pitch 'em later! ;)

Did you read the "Eisenhorn" trilogy?

What about ruins? Maybe the planet is somehow on the edge between realms, and once had imperial buildings on it? Maybe something that got sucked into the Eye and wound up on the surface of your table?
Is that an actual 40k novel? cos I don't own any of those, but I did read about that guy in the BGB apparently he was inquisitioned or whatever they call it, because his thoughts of the warp were considered heresy to think about such a place as much as he did.

As for the sucking planets thing, Apparently the eye can have fluctuations much like a star has flares, which are giant leaps of gas thousands and thousands of kilometers from the surface, if one of these flares from the warp comes into contact with a planet, it can remove it from the galaxy for months,years or centuries, and after even a month in the warp I think there would be some damage to a brand new Imperial building ey?

Is that enough of a rant, now back to work missy!
Thanks for all the help guys

·
Murder
3,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I don't have any pink foam, or else I would certainly be using it, I'm using this stuff cos it's all I got for now, and when you spray it it sort of bubbles which in the end I quite like the look of, but of course its not the easiest to cut/paint/glue etc.

·
The Biker Marine
1,618 Posts
Any building supplies store should have that stuff. Alternativly, buy a water-based spray primer that will not eat away the white foam. Or base everything with watered down white glue before spraying. Or do not spray at all :)

·
Murder
3,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I don't unforunately have an update but what I do have is a small drawing of the plan in the end...
There is more to add to this, and I'm hoping to make it a slightly flexible terrain but we will see.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.