Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
Yes, the assalt squad will take up one of your three fast attack choices and the 2 characters will take up both of your HQ choices. You may deploy both characters with the unit (Rulebook p.48 ) and use shrikes rule to infiltrate them 18" away from your opponent (Marine Codex p. 92) and move the squad 12" fleet 1-6" (Marine Codex p.92) and assault 6". Allowing your monster squad to start 18.1" away from the enemy, then make it to any enemies 19-24".

The Emperor Protects

·
Lord of Shadows
603 Posts
As you rightly said, there have been many arguments, mostly down to the order in which rules are applied.

I must stress, your opponent MAY argue that Shrike cannot infiltrate another HQ unit simply because it doesn't say 'and other independent characters' in Shrikes Infiltrate rule. So, please ask your opponent for HIS opinion and arrange an agreement prior to the start of battle. If your opponent argues you CANNOT use infiltrate the Chaplain, simply ask to roll for it - single roll each, highest value gets to go with the rules they think are right. Its possibly the most fair way of doing this. It's the way I go about it all...

HTH

CR

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
P.92, Marine Codex
See, But Remain Unseen: Shrike (and the models in his squad)...
P. 48 WH40k Rulebook
Alternatively an indipendant character may begin the game already with a unit, by being deployed in coherency with them.
So if Shrike joins a unit before the game they are treated as the models in his squad, if your chaplain also joins the unit he will be a part of the squad and so will be able to benefit from Shrike's ability.

I must stress, your opponent MAY argue that Shrike cannot infiltrate another HQ unit simply because it doesn't say 'and other independent characters' in Shrikes Infiltrate rule.
Yes but it does say Shrikes unit and any other characters in the unit will be a part of the unit, so the other player would have no argument, it would just be an unprepared opponent complaining and whining until he gets what he wants.

The Emperor Protects

·
1,880 Posts
So if Shrike is an independent character, and the chaplain is too. Can you deploy 2 HQ's in a single squad? Else, yeah that Shrike ability with some assault marines seems BRUTAL!!!

·
Registered
301 Posts
So if Shrike is an independent character, and the chaplain is too. Can you deploy 2 HQ's in a single squad? Else, yeah that Shrike ability with some assault marines seems BRUTAL!!!
Indeed.

You can also infiltrate other Named characters, Lysander or Kantor to the mix to add to the brutality. Though in many respect, a chaplain sounds more cost effective.

Something I've been wanting to try is to "infiltrate" Shrike with some Assault terminators, joined by a librarian with force dome and <Some other power>. Place them in a circle, hollowed in the middle, and then place at the center some camo cloak scouts (Equipped with some combat weapons).

The basic advantage of this is the Obvious Invulnerable save from the Storm shields and the scouts Cover save. If you start the match you can try to use the scouts extra movement and the Raven wing's fleet to charge the enemy. If the enemy manages a "seize the initiative", you can rely on the formation for protection. In subsequent turn join the librarian with the scouts to provide them with a 5++ same, not to shabby considering the amount of ap4 weapons that can be fired at that proximity.

Anyways , that was off topic.

But from what i read in the books , there is nothing to prevent the infiltration of a Chaplain & Shrike.

·
Son of LO
3,930 Posts
It is quite a tasty plan, but it relies entirely on getting the first turn. Otherwise, your assault marines are vulnerable to the usual "getting shot up and dying humiliatingly" counter-strategy.

It's also kind of buggered if your opponent plays all-mech, since there's nothing to assault on the first turn but tanks. That said, Litanies of Hate with lightning claws is quite thoroughly worth it.

·
The Future
4,848 Posts
Shrike + Chaplain + Assault Terminators infiltrate

Assault Squad/Vanguard (if you're feeling fancy) sit behind them at the edge of your deployment.

Turn 1, the infilitrators start mashing things up
Turn 2, the jump packers catch up and start smashing stuff up with Shrike while the Chap+ATs go kick the stuffing out of something else.

Generally I deploy my infiltrators in cover, but with this number of 3++ and 4++ saves it's not worth it here except to get yourself within 18" of the enemy.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I also agree, this is a brutal combo and it can be done with in the scope of the rules. It is a devestating unit and if your opponent starts to complain its probably because he's scared of whats coming.

·
LO's Shadow Captain
12,783 Posts
I find it extremely interesting that people in this thread seem to argue for this combination, yet in previous discussions there was a TON of disagreement. There are a couple of threads about it, and the reason none of them came to a final conclusion was because there really isn't one until GW decides to FAQ it or update the Space Marines codex (again).

Personally, I agree with all of the above. I find that the most support, ruleswise, falls under "yes" to this question, and there are only a few things that the "other side," for lack of a better term, can come up with to make it hazy, but not definitively disallowed.

I'd say go ahead and do it, as the rules (in my eyes), while maybe not clearly allowing it, do not clearly disallow it either and following Shrike's rules, it's not a squeeze to get it to work. If your opponents have issues with it, talk them through some of the points raised here, and if they still don't agree, possibly roll a die to see whose version of the rules apply before the game.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks guys, the encouragement is very nice :) Now I have assault marines now, I'll play around with them and buy assault termies later if needed, but I'm going to play through first. Lol Assault termies, shrike, chaplain, and Drop Pod some ironclads, Venerable, or sternguard first turn. Ahhhh I need to get on this :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts