Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings good people. I'm looking to start an ornate and cermemonial chapter of marines, and I don't mind a fair amount of conversion. I was originally going to go pre heresy, but I decided against it in the end in favour of a modern chapter, or unit. I will probably be using almost all infantry by the by also, infantry and dreadnoughts. Basically looking for ideas here.

The only marines I have currently are a heavily converted deathwatch squad.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks in advance.

·
Formerly BrotherAzriel
2,373 Posts
Well if you want loyal you could go for Dark Angels, they would be the best bet for "ornamented" marines.

If you ended up becomeing tainted then id sugest Word Berers, or for a medium (radical marines) go for Relictors.

By the sounds of it, a mainly infnatry force with little armour and lots of ornamentaion sounds like relictors to me, however you wouldent be able to use the DW as the relictors are "radicals" you could use radical inquisitors and deamonhosts though!

hope that helps!

>Bro Az- Fluffmaster<

·
867 Posts
Add classical greek style crests to the helmets of your marines and call them the Sons of Ulysses. They could favor one handed spears as power weapons, or leaf-bladed greek style swords. Use a nifty lightening bolt theme for insignia. Or better yet a Sigma (greek letter). Very easy to hand draw with a brush.

Cloaks. Lots of cloaks. :)

Gold, white, red and / or any color really would not tlook out of place. Heck, maybe vary the color of the helmet crests depending on the type of Squad. Red, blue, black, black and white, etc.

Heck, this sounds so cool I might try it :lol

·
Set Sail and Conquer!
1,633 Posts
Greetings good people. I'm looking to start an ornate and cermemonial chapter of marines, and I don't mind a fair amount of conversion. I was originally going to go pre heresy, but I decided against it in the end in favour of a modern chapter, or unit. I will probably be using almost all infantry by the by also, infantry and dreadnoughts. Basically looking for ideas here.

The only marines I have currently are a heavily converted deathwatch squad.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks in advance.
I would say that pretty much any chapter around can be made highly ornate - if you really feel the need for conversion, go for it.

Some are probably easier than others to work with, but still. It would probably help to pick a chapter with a strong existing iconography, such as black templars, iron hands, imperial fists, or dark angels, something along those lines where conversions will be made somewhat easier by the available background and/or available bits ready made.

A friend of mine has been working on a black templars army for quite some time now, and all of his characters are heavily converted (yet quite understated). He has really gone for the ornate look, and his conversions really carry this off. Even his grunts are quite good like this. And the dreadnoughts he uses as real figure heads - there is a lot you can do with these things to make your overall army look far more ornate, his are all heavily converted versions of the plastic dreadnought (neither he nor I are fans of the metal venerable dreadnought). They can really bring the rest of the force together (i've gone down a similar path with my imperial fists, he helped me make a venerable dreadnought with a two handed thunderhammer, i'll post pics when I can).

So yeah, it probably doesn't really matter which chapter you choose, just keep in mind a few things, such as ease of conversion, wealth of background inspiration, and most of all, a colour scheme/army that really grabs your attention :) Just grab a marine army and Jazz it up a little!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts