Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,

Just wanted to get some opinions on something, as I'm finally building my home-brew Space Marine chapter. The majority of the army (which will eventually be a full company at 4500 points however long down the road) will be a Talon Strike Force (Pinion Demi-Company + auxiliaries), and therefore Raven Guard Chapter Tactics, but I want to ally in a Skyhammer Annihilation Force to support it.

Problem is, Raven Guard tactics do not apply to Skyhammer, as the Assault Squads can already use their jump packs in both Movement and Assault, and the Shrouded-first-turn rule only applies to units not embarked in a vehicle, so my Devastators won't get any benefits and my Assault Squads will be charging into combat off the bat so Shrouded is superfluous. Hence I am trying to decide what Tactics the Skyhammer squads should get. The loadout for the Devastators is Multi-Meltas and Grav-Cannons, while the Assault Marines get flamers and eviscerators. Here are my choices:

-Iron Hands
Increased survivability, but that's it, and it's only an increase of 16%.

-Imperial Fists
Devastators get Tank Hunter, Assault Marines get bolt pistols re-roll. So it's huge for the Devs.

-Ultramarines
Re-rolls for everyone, and it's tactically flexible.

-Charcarodons
Fear, and if the Assault Squads eat an enemy unit or force it to fall back they gain Rage, but have to consolidate towards the nearest enemy. So basically the opposite of Imperial Fist bonuses.

The other tactics (Salamanders, Black Templars, Raptors, etc) don't particularly benefit the Skyhammer enough to consider. Any thoughts?

·
Drill Sergeant
10,215 Posts
I'd go for Ultramarines. There's not a situation they will not be useful and those Re-roll to hits with the Devs is HUGE. 4 Grav cannons and a Combi-Grav with re-roll hits will remove just about anything that isn't a FW Tau beardfest. You can buy the 5pt cherub thing that means you can have re-rolls the next turn as well to just to mean things to anything nearby. Or 4 MultiMeltas what ever takes your fancy.

Ultramarines. Do Ultramarines. (I can't believe I actually said that)

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You're probably right. Multi-meltas don't need much help with armour penetration and grav-cannons are still trying to get 6s to hurt vehicles, so Tank Hunter isn't as useful as it is at first glance.

And the loadout will be one unit of Grav Cannons, one unit of Multi Meltas. The Pinion Demi-Company will have a unit of Lascannon Devastators, who sit next to a Scout squad with the super Sniper Rifle that also allows the Lascannons to Ignore Cover. Because who doesn't want four Lascannons that Ignore Cover?

·
Drill Sergeant
10,215 Posts
Don't forget Grav Cannons get re-rolls on armour Pen all ready due the Grav Amps. So 20 shots, re-rolling to hit. 6's to hurt with re-rolls is doing 5.4 Hull points to something......... Add on a Combi-grav and something is going to die. Even an Imperial Knight is going to feel the pain.

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I forgot that Grav Amps worked for Armour Penetration as well as re-rolling Wounds. Ultramarines it is, I'll just figure out the fluff for them being pseudo-Monitors or something.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts