Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have no idea what characters to use at 2,000 points, i was just wondering what you guys field at that point level? I'm talking upgrades too and most importantly what spell lores you use on your sorceress?

·
Registered
326 Posts
I usually use a supreme sorceress, either a dagger, or a focus familiar dark pegasus rider. The second wizard is usually a tome of furion and dispel scroll wizard, either on foot or mounted on dark steed. The third character is almost always a master, with GW, seal of ghrond, and a decent mundane armor save. If I feel like splurging on characters, the 4 character is a death hag with the cauldron of blood. Sometimes I skip the master, and use the cauldron. Sometimes I make the master a BSB, sometimes I make the death hag a bsb. It really depends on the list.

All that being said. I almost always use dark magic. It has a great default spell that helps against opposing shooting. It also has number 6, which is a huge block busting spell that gets around magic resistance. (it doesn't target) The other spells all have great applications, with only doombolt being redundant.

If I am facing a knight army, or any army that has universally good armor saves (like dwarves) I take lore of metal. It has solid spells overall, and when the big one hits, it is almost sure to be worth the effort. (entire knight units gone in a blink type good)

Lore of fire has its place, I used it quite a bit when I see plague bearers. I also had good luck with it against VC, as wall of fire is really effective against them.

I don't really like lore of shadow much, as the default spell is pretty meh for dark elves. the other spells are pretty decent, so I might have to start to try it. It just feels that Dark lore is better.

Lore of death is particularly good against armies I haven't faced much of, so I will reserve comment on it, since I haven't had to use it yet with DE. I have had good luck with it with other armies.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I try to use as few characters as I can - which usually means no warrior characters.

I feel that a 140+ point combat hero can seldenly have the impact on the game that for an example 5 Cold one Knights can. Combat characters are also pretty expensive in victory points if they loose wounds or die. Apart from that, I find that units are simply more fun than characters.

My usual sorceress setup in 2000 point battles is:

Sup. Sorceress
Black Staff, Lifetaker

Sorceress
Darkstar Cloak, Dispell Scroll

They go with a group of shades. Their magic is absolutely ruthless. I was up against 5 DD and 2 scrolls, and got 2-3 spells through per turn anyway. I usually only have these two characters.

If I were to run a combat character, I would proberbly go for BSB death hag with cauldron of blood. It is a good deal if you plan on winning the game in close combat. Apart from that I have used a master on dark steed (ha, sh, sdc, sword of might, pendant of khaeleth). He is VERY good in small games as a lone rider.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I like to take an 'Unkillable" Dreadlord (Crimson Death, Pendant, Regen Armor) either on a cold one or in my BG.

Then I like a Master in another unit to help out (lately I've been rather fond of giving him the Life Taker and either sticking him in a row of 10 xbows or on a steed in a unit of dark riders. It adds in a couple of useful kills where other shooting can fall short.)

Then maybe a Sorc/scroll cady depending on the army you're facing.

But that's just me and I tend to not be very magic heavy because of my pretty bad luck with magic.

·
Premium Member
4,800 Posts
I have yet to use a named character; they're all so 'niche' that I've never gotten around to them. Someday I'll experiment with Malus since I like my Knights.

Most of the time I use a Supreme Sorc with Lore of Metal. It's in the 2k+ games that warmachines and Death Stars become a serious problem and Metal is the best I've found for such things. I can already handle skirmishers and low-armor infantry. Put a BSB in the COK squad, bring a couple Dark Magic sorcs for dispelling and general havoc and I'm good to go.

I feel that a 140+ point combat hero can [rarely] have the impact on the game...
I find the opposite is true. If I don't have a character in a unit then I don't ever count on them winning combat. I rely on my shooting and MSU tactics to carry the day; sometimes I bring an assassin as a special treat.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Maybe it is a question of playing style. I rely heavely on my shooting and magic to deal with the enemy, and do not expect my close combat units to win combats against fresh ranked infantry. My only close combat units are 20 spearmen, 5 Dark Riders, 2x5 CoKs and a hydra and I find these perfect for constantly threathening my opponenents flanks while I shoot at him.

If you run a master BsB at 150 like points, you will also have to consider weather a death hag bsb with a cauldron at 225 would be better. When enhancing the CoKs with extra attacks, they get another five s6 attacks compared to a masters three s6 attacks. When she enhances the black guard they get another s6 attack (from crimson wielding champion) and 4 s4 attacks, compared to again three s6 attacks from the master. Apart from that a master takes space in the front row, preventing a model from participating at all, cutting down the benifit of having him there. If I were to run a master or dreadlord it would problerbly be on a monster or with spearmen, who cant kill anything on their own.

·
Registered
326 Posts
If you don't go with a shooting heavy list, having combat heroes is required to make your units have enough punch to break SCR. I have found that a 94 point dirt cheap GW master is enough to make a typical unit of spear elves able to to win against the average opposing SCR block. Cheap assassins with rune of khaine can also accomplish this if you need the character slots for magic users.

·
Premium Member
4,800 Posts
I usually use a Supreme Sorc rather than a named character or Dreadlord. The former are still too expensive for a 2k game and the latter, well, most Dark Elf lists don't use enough defensive formations for a good General to be worthwhile. A battle standard bearer leading the main attack unit is usually sufficient. As for lores, Metal is pretty good for the SS as you'll probably face lots of chariots, heavy infantry and/or magic items. Shadow can be good, too--magical movement and fear is powerful--and sometimes I just don't bother with finesse and bring Fire. Dark Magic I usually reserve for Hero Sorcerors.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.