Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It came up in a game last night that since a monster can move in any direction he wants, and since a monster with compulsory movement moving into base contact with the enemy counts as charging, compulsory movement monsters essentially have 360 degree line of sight for charges. This seems like cheating to me, as it says multipul times in the BRB that in order to charge a unit has to be in LoS of the monster (90 degree arch on the front).

So,

1) For reference, can anyone point me to the page where it says that compulsory moving into the enemy counts as a charge (for my own reference, I've been looking and looking but can't find it) and

2) Is the the above "tactic" technically cheating, like intentionally over-guessing a cannon to hit a unit out of LoS of the crew?

·
Banned
4,252 Posts
1) There isn't one. At least, not that I'm aware of. Pages 58 and 59 tell us that monsters function like normal units including the rules for charging and movement. That is, a monster has no more right to charge sideways than any other unit.

I am, however, intrigued as to how this compulsory charge came about. Often such movements see little control in direction etc or see a rotation before movement anyhow, in which case there shouldn't be a problem. Care to give a few more details?

2) Nope. It's rules lawyering, if anything (annoying and rather unsporting, but legal). Bear in mind, though, that you should get the flank charge as per usual.

Also, moved to Rules Help.

·
4,361 Posts
It came up in a game last night that since a monster can move in any direction he wants, and since a monster with compulsory movement moving into base contact with the enemy counts as charging, compulsory movement monsters essentially have 360 degree line of sight for charges. This seems like cheating to me, as it says multipul times in the BRB that in order to charge a unit has to be in LoS of the monster (90 degree arch on the front).

So,

1) For reference, can anyone point me to the page where it says that compulsory moving into the enemy counts as a charge (for my own reference, I've been looking and looking but can't find it) and
I can't point it out to you as I don't have my rule book with me currently, but if I recall correctly, it states that to "declare" a charge you have to follow those rules. As the monster in your scenario isn't actually declaring a charge, he can get by that rule.
2) Is the the above "tactic" technically cheating, like intentionally over-guessing a cannon to hit a unit out of LoS of the crew?
I wouldn't think so. Some of these monsters have a variable move distance, so you can never be sure of where they are going. They have so many drawbacks, that giving them a break isn't cheating in my view.
SirKently

·
Registered
320 Posts
From the way you are describing it, it sounds like a you are dealing with something like a chaos spawn. Where in the compulsary moves phase you pick the direction but roll the dice to determine how far it moves. If you hit an enemy you go into combat and count as charging.

But that is specifically how spawns work, what kind of monster was it or what caused the compulsory moves, that should beable to help determine what rules apply to the legality of the charge in question.

·
LO Zealot
1,568 Posts
Here's how the Hell Pit Abomination moves:

"A Hell Pit Abomination is moved in te owning player's Compulsory Movement, moving 3D6" each turn. First, pivot the Hell Pit Abomination to face the direction in which you wish it to travel and then roll 3D6; this is how many inches directly forward the creature will travel.
[snip]
If the Abomination's movement is sufficient to take it into an enemy unit then it counts as charging."

So they can charge 360 degrees. It's not cheating, nor "cheap" / rules-lawyering / unsporting or anything like that. It's simply how the model works.

·
Benevolent Dictator
9,222 Posts
I certainly don't consider it cheating- independent characters have a 360LoS, so these random movers should as well.

Finally, because you pivot the model FIRST, yes- it does mean that he can charge in any direction he chooses. This is certainly the only benefit to a model like that- they are too unpredictable otherwise.

·
Lord Admiral
2,608 Posts
Exactly - if he were to declare a charge, what move would constitute a failed charge? The creature is random, moves ranmdomly, cannot declare charges as he has compulsary movement which precludes choosing to act, and the 360 pivot etc is perfectly in the rules.

Also, as I think the monster is not declaring a charge, there is no charge reaction attempt? And as there is no charge reaction, I don't know what teh rules about Fear/terror are as these are taken once a charge is declared.

·
Advocatus Diaboli
4,571 Posts
Usually when you state you're moving into contact it becomes a charge declaration. At that point you declare reactions/make terror checks etc.

This is certainly the way the abomination works - LoS is not considered.

Annoyingly they didn't carry this easy set of instructions over to the doomwheel...

·
Registered
320 Posts
Usually when you state you're moving into contact it becomes a charge declaration. At that point you declare reactions/make terror checks etc.

This is certainly the way the abomination works - LoS is not considered.
Just want to add that the distance distance rolled is the value you use when determinining if the charged unit can stand and shoot or if they escape via fleeing.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts