Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a bad last round at a tournament yesterday.

I was attempting to be as courteous as possible, providing a copy of my army lists and upgrades and trying to be as liberal as possible with the rules. If there was a small flub, I let it go, since it wasn't worth the aggravation. Since I was playing Orks, i needed an extra hand moving stuff ( 3 mobs of 20 Boyz slows up a game), I had my wife there as my partner.

Since this tournament had some prize support, and I'd been teaching my wife the game, I was kinda eager to get ahold of something for her.

My final round I have a win and a draw under my belt, and I come up against Dark Eldar, an army I've never played before. So here, I should've dug out my opponent's refsheet in the back of my rulebook, but I give heim the courtesy of explaining his army (despite him handing me some hastily scrawled pencil list that even a doctor would have difficulty reading).

So he pops on with a bunch of the smaller skimmers and proceeds to lay waste to my army using some Dk Eldar uber-gun of doom, the Disintegrator. Str 7, AP 2, Hvy 3, Sm. Blast, 36" Range. Something doesn't sound right in all that, but I know that the DK Eldar have a list weighted to do damage and not take it. I figure I can wheather this and beat the crap out of him the next turn. I proceed to lose most of my force to his alpha strike.

I let it slide as a bad roll of the dice on my cover saves.

I managed to eke out a couple kill points against his 4. Now how do I know he was cheating? I stepped off to the bathroom, leaving my wife at the table to make sure no shennanigans went on further. While I was in there, our Dark Eldar Player started chatting with his brother (also playing in the Tourney). At which point Brother suggested cheating, since my wife "was a girl and she wouldn't know." My dear opponent replied back: "I am."

My wife didn't tell me about this until after the game, after she was upset and frustrated with me and the situation on the way home. She doesn't like unfamiliar situations, and a game store tournament would be one where she wasn't comfortable with the rules, nor with people she hadn't met before.

As I looked up that Disintegrator this morning, I should've only lost maybe 3 or 4 boyz total instead of 11. Rrrrrr... the gun I faced was a mashing of the options to fire a disintegrator had, rather than the balanced one strong or tree weak shots it was supposed to.

My wife was unhappy with the game, and both the prick I was playing against and his brother tied for a place in the tournament, getting store credit. I was already unhappy with their boorish behavior as soon as I'd heard it, and I'm not saying that all gamers are like that. It's the 10%-ers that ruin it, and not just for me, but for new people just learning as well. I don't know where "Abuse the n00b" came from, but it does not belong in miniature wargaming, no matter the game.

I doubt I will play a game against wither brother in either tournament or friendly situations, because of their disrespect to my wife. This has to stop, and its up to us in the gaming community to put a stop to it. If you see that mysoginy, I ask you to make it known that it's not acceptable in not only mixed company, but any company. We all have sisters, daughter, girlfriends, wives and mothers, and I hate seeing half of the overall population locked out of the game by the attitudes we allow to flourish.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Hey there Slithyr,
You should tell the game store owner and judges what those guys did. Sure, it will be hearsay, and you shouldn't expect them to take any action, but it will get them to watching those guys. I don't think this was only a gender related issue, those jerks disrespected -everyone-, your wife, you, the judges, the store owner. And if you see them again, tell them point blank you know he knew he was cheating. Why should only you feel uncomfortable if you run into him at the store? Don't empower him, I bet he's really a coward.

I have never run into anyone as rotten as those brother, and I don't wish them on anyone. My sympathies to you and your wife.

Be well, and have a blessed week!
---Dreg

·
I hate Ultramarines
1,297 Posts
Just tell the store owner and judges and see if you can get them blacklisted. Massive posters on the walls saying "Don't play these cheating idiots!"

·
Registered
366 Posts
Chances are that someone else has already complained (or might complain later). So as Dreg says, let the store owner and judges know. I'm sure they're used to handle people who don't play by the rules. Don't let it pass by - just tell what happened and let the store people decide what to do about it.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Thing is, I'm reading this, and while a disintegrator by no means has a Heavy 3, Blast firing mode, a common vehicle you will find three of in any DE list (the Ravanger, filling all the Heavy Support slots) can be equipped with up to three seperate disintegrators, which would give each of those 3 Blast shots at 36". Now, if you mean to tell me this guy was firing 9 blast shots with this vehicle, or he was doing 3 blast shots with a raider (a transport vehicle that can only have one disintegrator, and looks virtually identical to the Ravanger because GW still needs to put out the new DE models. ><; ), then he was definately cheating. It might even be possible to cheat with DE by intermittently claiming a vehicle was a raider or ravanger whenever it was convinient, since the only difference at all is a few side guns added to the ravanger.

Regardless, that kind of attitude from your opponent was uncalled for.

·
859 Posts
I was actually rather concerned by the title of this thread myself :p It's not just wargamers either, I'm studying computing, at the first university I was at there were five girls in my year - three of them were put on the course as a substitute when their course was cancelled. Walking into the room on the first day could hear someone at the back "What's a girl doing here? Guessing she got lost." In the two yeargroups I've been in at my current university there have been me and another girl each year. Last year the girl wouldn't even TALK to anyone if she didn't have to. This year the 'other woman' had a hell of a year and was a very defensive person.

If you can't 'hang out with the guys' getting into wargaming, programming, ICT call centres, car mechanics, DIY, a host of things... It's near impossible to feel welcome. It *IS* better though. Ten years ago I'd go into a GW with friends for a game and we'd get stared out the shop. Nowadays usually briefly hit on, treated to strings of conversation where I can't get a word in edge ways and looks of genuine shock when I display actual knowledge of rules and fluff.

I have, at one point, been reduced to having to say rather loudly "I'VE GOT BREASTS, DEAL WITH IT" to someone who wouldn't stop staring while I was sat modelling in a shop. Reason it had to be said loudly is because he stood directly opposite me... over the other side of the shop. Was getting to the point his opponent was getting bored of having to wait for him to realise it was his own go!

Best one I've heard?
"Dude, there's a girl in the store."
*confused look* "That's not a girl, that's 8people."
Which I'm still trying to decide if I should be concerned about.

Or
"Sorry! I keep forgetting you're a girl!"
*awkward silence as everyone takes that as a cue to stop talking as females are present like some 50's gentlemens party.*

Guess you can't blame them, the last store I was a regular at had a higher number of female gamers. The majority were dumb girls who deliberately wore provocative clothes for attention. One of the girls got VERY territorial when I started hanging out in the shop. Making a point to openly flirt with my other half as well then look very smugly in my direction, just a little reminder of who was alpha female I guess. Just made it a little sweeter when she got caught cheating (of the relationship kind) and couldn't show her face in the shop afterwards.

On that I think every store has someone who cheats (at the game) there's always been ONE guy who's an obvious 'rules nob' and is even known for it... or nicknamed over it. Almost like a badge of pride and people STILL PLAY THEM, full in the knowledge he's the jammy little git everyone and their grandma warned you about. Maybe it's tourney preperation! Still if I catch people cheating I'll bloody well tell them, or if I'm observing I will bring it up. I will not, however, question every action or roll from someone, simply point out mistkes, genuine or otherwise. I've had someone convinced that I cheated in a game against them (I didn't, I just slaughtered his Warriors of Chaos with Wood Elves) and the next game I was in, he was literally over my shoulder (easy to do when you're 6' something and I'm 5'2") questioning EVERYTHING. "Are you sure it casts on 4+?" "What's your movement value?" "What does that spell do?" (every turn, I had 1 lvl 1. He'd ask every turn what treesinging did) "That magic item isn't in my list. What does it do?" "I don't think that was in charge range." "Are you shooting against short range? It's not in short range!" etc, etc, etc... he wasn't even playing in that game.

·
1,206 Posts
I think I'd say the same thing both to Slithyr and 8 people, go for pity over anger. If you you know this DE player and will play him again let him know you think he cheated. However if you let him know it made you cross he'll go away thinking he cheated to beat you, got away with it and wound you up and he'll probably like that. If you let him know you know he cheated but don't look annoyed, just make him aware that you pity the sad insecure little gamer who needs to cheat to win a game. Play him again, read up on his rules first and if possible beat him, then be really condisending to him, that way you get to feel smug and he gets angry, not the other way round ;)

Oh and 8People, I'm sure you know this but I'll say it anyway ;) While many gamers are well adjusted individuals, there are quite a few who are socially a bit awkward and find it hard to be around girls. Any feeling of resentment is probably not from a belief that girls should not play wargames, but from the realsiation that the safe social place these particular gamers can retreate to where they will not have to worry about making conversation (ie everyone can talk about warhammer) and where they will not have to worry about feeling awkward around girls is suddenly not so 'safe'. Remeber you are, wherethr you like it or not, providing a social service, rehabilitating them slowly by showing them that not all girls will laugh at them just because they play with toy tanks ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts