Librarium Online Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK this maybe hard to explain online so bare with me. Ok I was playing nids/space wolves vs choas/Tau. Ok The daemon prince needed to take one armor save this kid freasking rolls 10 dice ont eh side then choices one dice that was rolled a 1 thn rerolls a 6. Isnt that cheating?

·
Registered
199 Posts
its hard to understand exactly what ur saying, but what i think u mean is...

this kid decided to roll ten dice that has no effect on the battle whatsoever. He then had some supersticous theory that the dice which rolled a "1" would subseqently roll a "6". He then rolled that dice as his actual armour save, and was jammy enough to be right.

Basically no, this isnt strictly speaking cheating- the first roll was unrelated. If it was a rigged dice and yes, i have played against one of those (little git thought he could get away with it too), then it would most definately been cheating. If he had rolled ten dice and picked a 6 and claimed it was his armour save that would be cheating. But he picked a random dice and got lucky, such is life

·
Registered
340 Posts
slowly sifting through that post, I would have to say yes. Cheating. Unless the daemon had "feel no pain". Then he is allowed to make the failed roll, and have the wound ignored on a 4+. But I still dont see where the 10 dice come in.

edit: After reading the other post, I'd like to rething my last post. No cheating. That was just superstition.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
marshal you have the idea of what im saying. But isnt that cheating? You know what does anyone have the number for GW for USA cause I want to ask them if its cheating.

·
850 Posts
I know the US games workshop if you live in the US. Their number is 1-800-394-GAME. Also I know exactly what you are talking about and...no it isn't cheating. I been playing w/ people that played warhammer for almost 6 years now and the people that roll random dice like 10 and choose a 1 and then roll the real dice that will determine the fate of the model/models is what Marshal said about the theory, but he is wrong about the 6. People do it that if they get a 1 or 1s(if it is for rolling saves for a sqaud or massive shooting) that the people think that the final roll will somehow be higher like a 5 or a 6. So it is ok to do that. I do it also sometimes, depending on my mood, but usually when you do the "true" roll, it is still the luck of the dice. I know some other theories that actually vet players do. Some is that they stack their dice in a pyramid. Other's put one of their HQ units in a middle of dice, but the dice are set up in a pattern. I think the final one I saw was that this guy rolled all his dice before a battle and everytime there were sixies he would put them next to each other. This ended when all dice were turn up to show the 6.
But it isn't cheating, the only cheating thing is rigged dice.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Well, it depends...
I assume it's as Typhus described, he just "tested" his dice and took the one which did not "use up its luck". I sometimes do that too, but usually i do it before the game started.

If that opponent declared "ok, this one is going to be the armour save", then that single dice was perfectly legal. But then you should insist that he always announces his rolls before rolling them, because otherwise in case of a very bad roll he could say that it would have been just a test (even if the number of dice was equal to the required number of rolls), and then roll again for "the ones which count".

Of course if he rolls ten dice, and then points at one which was sufficient and then says "ok, this was my armour save", then that is cheating. But since your opponent rolled that single armour save seperately is was legal - and because it was perfectly clear that these ten dice couldn't have been the armour save (because only one was required) this also wasn't a problem.

jwu

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
well i called GW and they said the samething. Oh well I find it cheating becasue you are putting more odds on you rolling high which is a form of rigging which is cheating.

·
Registered
15 Posts
It's not "putting more odds on him rolling high." It's just gamer superstition. A lot of people have little habits like that. When I'm playing D&D I organize all my dice in rows with the highest number on top, so the dice can get used to being in that position. I know it doesn't do anything, but I like to do it anyway.

That die he chose has exactly the same chance of rolling a 6 as all of the other dice (assuming all of his dice are good).

If you don't like it because it just bothers you, then go right ahead and complain. I just ask that you don't call it cheating or changing the odds, because it's not in any way.

That said, I'll also say listen to Archon, and make sure that he declares when he's "testing" his dice, so he can't exploit it, but other than that, let him have his quirk.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Its purely superstition.

Look at this.

He rolls ten dice, and chooses the one that lands on one.
The outcome of that dice is:

1 - 1/6
2 - 1/6
3 - 1/6
4 - 1/6
5 - 1/6
6 - 1/6

Exact same thing that would happen if he chose any of the dice.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Personnally, If I have a lot of dice for rolling to hit in a shooting phase, I pick the ones that missed, and roll those for the ones to wound, on the hits I just made w/ the first roll.

·
Registered
31 Posts
ditto, though i do find myself doign what it said in that white dwarf about missi... rocket launchers now.

and i never say 'i try to shoot/assault' whatever, coz when i say try they invariably end up out of range or something.

Oh, but it does annoy me when people spend like half an hour messing around before tehy roll that dice, as if you'd forget what they had to roll 'what was it again, a 5+.....'

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Originally posted by Raging Llama@Oct 8 2003, 17:05
ditto, though i do find myself doign what it said in that white dwarf about missi... rocket launchers now.
In the German version they didn't only rename it to a "rocket launcher", but to "bunker buster"

jwu

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.