Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I play space wolves and have a 1250 pts each doubles coming up and am with eldar (i think)

My opponets are planning to field 2 2 basilisks 18 oblitrators 2 vindicators (+-)!!!
any ideas on what to field.

·
Registered
43 Posts
At first glance...you should AT LEAST field a unit of Wolf Scouts to pop his Basilisks.

They should at least have one melta, and possibly melta bombs, plasma pistols, and a Wolf Guard leader with powerfist/thunderhammer. I suggest plasma's just in case the meltagun misses. However, I'd almost opt for meltabombs and a powerfist Wolfguard in case your opponent keeps the two Basilisks near each other (and BOTH within assault range). If you shoot and pop one of the Basilisks, unfortunately now, you cannot have your wolves pounce on the other juicy target. However, if you forgo shooting altogether, you can possibly assault BOTH in the same round...and with five meltabombs and a powerfist, with instant hits against a back AV of 10....you're going to make up point costs FAST for your wolf scouts.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Aidan said:
I play space wolves and have a 1250 pts each doubles coming up and am with eldar (i think)

My opponets are planning to field 2 2 basilisks 18 oblitrators 2 vindicators (+-)!!!
Fighting against Iron Warriors, it's a slow moving army, if you pop 2 basilisks, you may outrun him. Just stay out of Vindicator range. (2 Vindicators and 2 basilisks is illegal btw, only 1 each, unless you play with the doubled format with ultra high pointvalues)But IMO, this game isn't funny to play, just to show off (I don't know if that's the meaning of the IW player..)

·
Registered
210 Posts
A large slap to the face should do :yes:
On a more serious note with that many Oblits ANYTHING you field will probably be mincemeat lascannons and Vindicators will help, but If they play the IW's correctly your done for.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Hmmm, I don't know. If you weren't space wolves I'd recommend jump pack troops ... what about bloodclaw bikes?

Oblits are vulnerable in CC and even tho they are shooty bastards, you could cross their twin-linked plasma gun range via turbo boost, then pile all your bike squads into the same area. I do know the best way to overcome an invulnerable save is to make the enemy take it several times, and bloodclaws get loads of attacks. Drop a pair of lightning claws on the wolfguard leading them and he should be able to get the job done.

The scout "back-of-the-board" tactic is a great idea. You could take two squads of scouts and infil the other squad, they will probably die but they'd make a good screen for the bike assault.

Sabre

·
Registered
388 Posts
18 oblitertars is over 1250pts plus the other stuff will put it over 1750>>>
You need str8 wpns for obilterators because they can be instant kill on that.
bonekrusher

·
948 Posts
Well, for starters, his army is illegal. Basilisks and Vindicators are 0-1 choices for Iron Warriors. Second, you can't take 18 Oblits-they come in groups of 1-3. Even if he takes his 3 Elite choices with them, he's only got 9, tops.

To fight him, I would take 2 tooled-up Wolf Scout units for your Elites, with Wolf Guard for the third. Take 2 6-man Scout units with 2 Power Fists, 2 Plasma Pistols, a Meltagun, and a Wolf Guard with a Power Fist and Plasma Pistol (Or Bolt Pistol if you're short on points). Charge them into the back of his artillery and tear them a new one, then pile them into the Obliterators when you're done.

For the rest of your army, I'd recommend fielding a Venerable Dreadnought with a PC/DCCW combo, with Extra Armour and Smoke Launchers and a Wolf Lord with Frostblade, Bolt Pistol and a few more toys for your HQ. Bring some Power Fist-packing units of Grey Hunters for your Troops-3 or more full packs. Land Speeder Tornadoes and Blood Claw Bikers should do well, too. Maybe mounting your Wolf Lord on a bike and attaching him to a squad of Blood Claw Bikers.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts