Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wonder if a unit like this would do a lot of damage;

-Veteran Squad
-> Veteran Sergeant with Plasma Pistol
-> 3 Plasmaguns
-> Veteran w/ Lasgun
-> Chimera w/ Multilaser, Hull Heavy Bolter, Extra Armour, Smokes

178 points.

Basically, the enemy doens't know what's inside. Drive it up close to an enemy, launch smokes. Next turn, pivot backwards, move 4-5", and disembark, letting fly 7 plasma shots as well as 3 multilaser shots and 2 lasgun shots (heavy bolter is faced away, can't fire). Would total any given MEQ unit.

·
Slave to the flesh
3,354 Posts
That could easily win its points back. Veterans are brilliant when armed with plasma guns, with the chimera providing mobile cover and support it is (IMO) a very good unit.

Its also pretty cheap compared to MEQs!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Captain Strong said:
Basically, the enemy doens't know what's inside. Drive it up close to an enemy, launch smokes. Next turn, pivot backwards, move 4-5", and disembark, letting fly 7 plasma shots as well as 3 multilaser shots and 2 lasgun shots (heavy bolter is faced away, can't fire). Would total any given MEQ unit.
If you're trying to maximize fire, why not drop the vets before the Chimera even moves? The vets can then move their 6" and be just as close to the enemy, and the chimera can move its 6", and open up with all weapons, including the hull heavy bolter. In addition to the extra shot, you're not providing an easy, back armor shot at the Chimera to the rest of the units in the vicinity; I mean, why give them the easy, free shot at the lowest armor on the tank?

Just a thought. :|

·
Registered
307 Posts
RogueLDR0 said:
If you're trying to maximize fire, why not drop the vets before the Chimera even moves? The vets can then move their 6" and be just as close to the enemy, and the chimera can move its 6", and open up with all weapons, including the hull heavy bolter. In addition to the extra shot, you're not providing an easy, back armor shot at the Chimera to the rest of the units in the vicinity; I mean, why give them the easy, free shot at the lowest armor on the tank?

Just a thought. :|
That's a good idea...I forgot that units can move if they disembark before the vehicle moves.

·
Son of LO
2,160 Posts
The same unit with four flamers is a tad bit better. Guardsmen have a worse BS than a trained monkey so flamers make sure that you get automatic hits, and it has the same ST as a bolter, which aint too shabby.

I have completely fried a squad of BT's once with four flamers and a LT with a Plasma Pistol. I mean, they can only make so many saves and if you can manage to get 40 hits on a squad of 10, then you'll decimate them.

·
907 Posts
H0urg1ass said:
The same unit with four flamers is a tad bit better. Guardsmen have a worse BS than a trained monkey so flamers make sure that you get automatic hits, and it has the same ST as a bolter, which aint too shabby.

I have completely fried a squad of BT's once with four flamers and a LT with a Plasma Pistol. I mean, they can only make so many saves and if you can manage to get 40 hits on a squad of 10, then you'll decimate them.
Word to this idea. Vet's are delicate little things, but if they get one good round of firing, either with plasma, flamers, or even melta's if you're close enough, they will make any player crap himself. :)

·
Registered
552 Posts
I dunno. If the success of the plasmagun thing depends on an opponent "not knowing what's inside," that's a tactic I'm not particularly willing to employ. While it's perfectly acceptable to try and pull a shell game with multiple chimeras, I think it's pretty unsportsmanlike to refuse to tell an opponent what's in a chimera.

In this light, the multiple flamer chimera comes out better in my book, particularly vs. MEq, as even having full knowledge of what's onboard, they're more likely to underestimate the threat.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I pulled a similar stunt last weekend.
I put a 6 Man Marine Squad in a Razorback with TL-Lascannons and Stormbolter...Sarge w Plasma Pistol, Two Marines with Plasmarifles (Cleanse and Purify...so i can do this hrhr) and Three Bolters.
I Moved within 12" of an Obliterator squad and disembarked the marines and fired away with all weaps of the Squad and the Razorback. Result Three smoldering piles of obliterator remains...nasty nasty.
In the last turn the same squad was able to make an ambush on a Chaos Landraider. Lascannon Penetrating Hit on 3 which forced the ChaosTerminators to disembark and become a Perfect target for a 5 shot Plasma volley and 6 Boltershots. Result: one disabled LR, three dead ChaosTerminators...presto.

I tend to say it was a quite successful weekend :)

l8er

bLACK

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The reason that I have veterans with lasguns is because of their BS4. Otherwise, I would be flaming.

7 plasma shots, 2/3 hit (2 hits), 5/6 wound (2 wounds), no saves. So at least 2 wounds on some bad rolling. The flamer idea does have credence though, but I would rather take advantage of the Vet's BS.

·
Son of LO
2,160 Posts
Actually, I apologize, I didn't read your post thoroughly so I didn't notice that they were Vets. Vets are definitely better off with Plasma or Melta guns (I prefer Plasma) because of their high BS skill.

However, if you use a regular platoon command squad, then you can take four flamers and an LT with a Plasma Pistol, which is a better choice because of their lower BS.

Nice tactic. It really works well, and plays to the strength of the IG, which is shooting.

·
durus
2,578 Posts
I like this tactic either way, with vets and Plasma, or a command squad with flamers.

My "spin" on this is a Chimera with Hull Heavy Flamer and Turret Heavy Flamer, the "Flaming Chimera 'O Doom". Since you are usually moving it 12" for the first turn or two, you aren't fireing the HWs on the Chimera anyway. Then you are in close to the enemy, so you might as well use Heavy Flamers on the tank because of its ow BS. This is a big surprise for an enemy, 4 Flamers and two Heavy Flamers, not much usually survives if you can use the tanks Heavy Flamers.;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts