Librarium Online Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well after I get some more stuff for my chaos army im thinking of starting a fantasy one, right now I got it down to three choices and would like peoples opinons and personel experience with each army and maybe even a few tips. My choices are
Skaven: I like the models and the whole hoarde thing, plus they have sweet magic spells and special rules, not to mention sweet shooty bits. On the down side only way to take magic is a grey seer and they can get kinda expensive $$$ wise...
Orcs N Goblins: I like this models as well, probbly up their with skaven, nice balanced force from what I can tell with alot of options. Plus Gobbos just plain own. Also got some sweet magic spells and I can almost always take spell casters
Tomb Kings: I love the undead egyptian theme, sweet models, probbly some of my favorite, and also like their unique way to cast spells.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Well all three armies are pretty good. Skaven can take Warlock Engineers which help their magic phase- you don't need a grey seer to dominate it.

Skaven are a great, powerful army. They have a lot of variety (unfortunately everyone plays Skrye) and are pretty tough for most armies to beat, but not impossible. Also, once things start going bad for the Skaven, they usually don't recover. If your guys start fleeing, chances are they ain't coming back...

O&G are also an army with great variety. THey are great in Close combat, and are one of the most potent races magically. You can make a lot of different types of O&G forces, and there's a good chance they'll be good, because they are a really good army.

TK are a tougher army to use, but can be amazing when you learn how to use them. They do magic a different way- it's not as destructive, never fails, and only when used in combination with good tactics can it dominate, but dominate it can and does do.

Also, TK actually have their own site (traffic is a little slow now, but it will pick up again)
(url has been removed by mod)

I don't think the other two do.

Well, hope that helps. Personally, I'd do TK. They are a lot of fun to play, and they're quite reliable. The other 2 have a tendency to start killing themselves.

·
Sorcerer
1,532 Posts
Well id you want a serious army - TK
But Skaven and O+G make for a good laugh whatever happons :p

I do dwarfs - and as ur name suggests - so should u! Hehe :p

·
Lord of the Household
1,733 Posts
I play Dwarfs too (although I haven't really played WFB in the last few years) but I agree with other guys that all three armies are great.. Personally, I'd go with Tomb Kings because they look awsome.

King Bim Ironbrow of the Khazad-Haz Throng

·
Sorcerer
1,532 Posts
Cool - I played a tourny with em today (Nuttin special, just with some mates)

Well i faced dark elves in the finals (there tricky buggers <_< )

But i won, just...

:D :D :D :D

King Tozak Hammerson of Karak-Hirn

·
Registered
317 Posts
Your dwarfs beat a Dark Elf army? That's... sad. I don't think I've ever lost to Dwarfs with Dark Elves. Ever. It's just a great matchup for the DE.

·
Sorcerer
1,532 Posts
Well it was only a small game - 500 points. and he used a damn hydra!! Luckily it charged a unit of warriors and lost combat - fled and was killed! Muhaha! The rest was easy(ish)

·
Registered
317 Posts
A hydra in a 500 points game? That's even sadder. But....

You played in a 500 point tournament? Even with friends that's not very much... not at all. And this guy made it to the finals with a 220 point war Hydra in his 500 point army. That's kind of bizarre.

By the way. If your friend is taking a War Hydra in a 500 point game, tell him to go here:
Druchii.net

It's like the 3rd biggest fantasy forum on the net (behind portent and the GW one), and it is by far and wide the best place to learn about Dark Elves (even better then the other two). Druchii.net only concerns itself with Dark Elves, so you're friend will learn TONS.

·
Sorcerer
1,532 Posts
A hydra in a 500 points game? Thats even sadder

Thats what i said!

We were playing the patrol mission. We only used 500 points because some ppl didnt have any more (I have 3000 on the other hand)

Dark Elf took:

22 Spearmen w/ command
Hydra
Sorceress L2 (Got Black Horrer and Dominion against me)

That was pretty much it

I Took:

Thane W/ Great weapon, gromril armour

16 Warriors W/ Heavy Armour, Sheilds and command

16 Warriors W/ Heavy Armour, Sheilds and command

An Unruned Stone Thrower

Battle report

Dark Elf Turn one
Moves Forward With Unit. His hydra bounds forward. Black Horror faild to cast

Dwarf Turn one
Stood Still, only move was to defend better against his attack plan

Dark Elf Turn two
Hydra Charges Unit B (With thane in)
Black Horror succesfully cast on unit A, killing 6 causing the rest to flee the table (Bummer)
Hydra unfortunatly only kills one dwarf. Thane wounds the thing in return. It Flee's, we pursue and kill it

Dwarf Turn two
Stone Thrower Kills 3 Dark Elves. Dwarfs line up to receive charge next turn.

Dark Elf Turn Three
Dark Elves opt not to charge, in orger to use magic. It fails.

Dwarf Turn Three
Dwarfs Charge, winning Combat. Elves Hold.

Dark Elf Turn four
Combat Continues. Dwarfs Lose due to outnumbering but hold.

Dwarfs Turn four
Elves win again. Dwarfs hold

Dark Elf turn five
Dwarfs win combat due to thane killing 3. Elves flee and are pursuied. But the elves are too quick.

Dwarf Turn Five
The elves are way ahead, but we move forwaard in an attempt to stop there rally

Dark Elf Turn six
Elves rally. Sorcerer flees the unit and heads for a hill.

Dwarfs turn six
Dwarfs Charge elves, wining combat and killing them as they flee.

Dark Elf turn seven
Sorceress attempts to cast black horror, but fails.

Dwarf Turn seven
Thane leaves unit and goes to charge the sorcerress next tun

Dark Elves turn eight
Attempts to cast dominion, but is dispelled

Dwarfs turn eight
Thane Charges and kills sorceress.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Your opponent is horrible.

First, that's not a valid list- you need two core choices, at least. 2nd, a Hydra and a lvl 2 sorc at 500 points? *shakes head. I don't take a Hydra in anything less then 2000 points, my first rare choice is always 2 RBT (except recently, I've been trying to use the revised black guard).

Tell him to go to that site. He needs it.

·
Sorcerer
1,532 Posts
It is, we were playing a patrol mission and it means its :

ONE hero (No magic items)
1+ Core
0-1 speical OR rare

You mean horrible as in ''Crap''
Or Horrible as in ''Evil''?

·
Sorcerer
1,532 Posts
Yer it did really badly too :p Guess he wont try that again. I told him about Druchii.com.

BTW just in case anyone cares i had a hardfought battle against a brettonian player today. Only 1000 points but it was good. I won in the end. His cavelry just couldent get any hits on me :p

·
Sorcerer
1,532 Posts
Yer thay are, and i and a hard time beating them. In the end the staying power of the dwarfs sent the brettonians into full retreat, as his troops couldent break my lines. It all ended with the death of his sorceress.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.