Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I bought the Citadel (GW) paint Red Gore recently, to use on my new Tyranid paint scheme... but it turned out to be REALLY watery, almost like wash.

Has anyone else had this problem?

·
Registered
328 Posts
Most of the GW reds and yellows are pretty rubbish. Best thing is to start with the mechrite red foundation paint and work up. Always worked for me.

·
Registered
106 Posts
My Red Gore is watery, but definitely not like a wash... I've always just done a good few layers of it to get a nice deep crimson-ish colour, but I recently bought Mecharite Red so hopefully that will make it easire ^.^ You should check it out too.

·
Ender of Threads
1,306 Posts
Probably a silly question, but have you stirred up the pot? Lots of times when I get a new pot of paint, it needs a good stir to get all the settled pigment back into the mix.

I drop a few steel ball bearings into every pot to stir them up when I shake them, too - works great, especially in the dropper bottles of other brands!

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
yeah i'd definitely say throw a piece of metal sprue in there (becareful which types of metal you put in there, some rust, pewter doesnt)

this is really useful for paints that are too thick and hard to mix and some that are too watery as a result of the thick stuff settling in the bottom

if that doesnt work leave it open for an hour...

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, I've been stirring it about 5 mins or so every time i begin to paint... no difference...

I might try using Mechrite Red though :)
----------
I drop a few steel ball bearings into every pot to stir them up when I shake them, too - works great, especially in the dropper bottles of other brands!
Where can i get these ball bearings??

·
Registered
71 Posts
Take it back to the shop. My red gore gives pretty good coverage, but I do have a few others which are pretty useless and I really wish I had taken them back.

I know people like doing several coats but some of the ones I have had would never give the desired colour, especially if painted over the recommended black undercoat. I like trying to paint to as high a standard as possible but I don't want each model to take 2 evenings to paint because I have to apply many coats. I have stopped using black undercoat for exactly this reason. Codex grey works well instead.

I have been using GW paints for about 20 years, ( I even have a few of my first pots knocking around) and I am fairly certain that the paints are much weaker now than they used to be. I don't remember having to apply so many coats in the past.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, I'd gladly take it back but the problem is that I've had it for ages and used up quite a bit over time... I've just realised now when trying to paint my new Genestealers that it take 10-12 coats to make it a kind of 75/red and 25/black. Before, I didn't use this scheme so I didn't actually have any difficulty when I could have taken it back.

But do the paints vary? Because my mate has a Red Gore and his seems to be a lot more solid (3-4 coats)... :/

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sorry to hear that... I'll try hassling the GW person in my town to let me swap for another or something xD

·
i am da Wahhchief
2,419 Posts
not sure if i may say this but i prefer using other paints thenGW for some colours.
Yellow is an example. their worst being the metals, it just seems as if there are tiny bits of glitters in it.
Red gore should be better though... I think your in bad luck with that jar.
Is GW staff usually open to returning bad products?

That said, there are some top notch lately, im referring to the washes and darker colours.

·
2,434 Posts
Something i have never had a problem with. I always find GW paints to be good. I wouldn't worrie though as you normally alwyas water the paints down. What about leaving it on side (somewhere safe) with lid open so it thickens up an evaporates down. I have done this before when i ahve put too much water in my paints.

·
Ender of Threads
1,306 Posts
Where can i get these ball bearings??
I actually started out using split-shot fishing weights, and they worked nicely - just be sure to get the lead free type.

There ought to be at least a few sources for steel balls in any city out there, it just takes some research... Me, though? I snagged mine from K&J Magnetics when I ordered some magnets for a project. If you're willing to make a purchase with them, they sell quality stuff.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Crimson Pheonix;1541761 But do the paints vary? Because my mate has a Red Gore and his seems to be a lot more solid (3-4 coats)... :/[/QUOTE said:
Yep they do vary, Ive got 3 pots or dark angel green infront of me now and I know that they are differant ages, but you would think that they were from completely differant manufacturers if you compared the thickness and density of the pigment. There is a gloopy one that is just right, a gloopy one that does not cover well, and quite a thin runny one that gives just as good coverage as the first.

There can be problems, a bad batch where the accidently put in too much water maybe. They once released a bad batch of sealant spray that dried white! Screwed my whole army!

I don't think they produce "bad batches". With modern quality control they could easily ensure consistent products and catch faulty batches. The problem is I think, that they are just not bothered.

·
The Schoolboy
221 Posts
Why is this such a big deal? Paints should be watered down to a very watery consistency in the first place for a) good coverage and b) smooth transitioning. On another note, I tend to use mechrite for all my red use in the first place as red gore is too purple-y for my taste.

If your paint is in fact like a wash, as said before me, there have been cases of the miss-mix of the paints with the wrong amount of water/paint

1 - 20 of 21 Posts