Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy guys,
Well, my Terrax guard army kinda sucked major anus, so I thought I would give it another try. This time, it is more to my liking, I even named the company after myself.... me being Clay. It has some fast units, the Salamanders, for those of you that don't have imperial armor, are fast opentopped vehicles, that have an autocannon and heavy bolter.

My goal here was to have a decent force on the field before my landing time, that can atleast survive the first couple of turns. The salamanders are there for APC control, and the rough riders are a little test project of mine, the WILL NOT be removed. So, here is my list:

Doctorines:
Drop Troops
Storm Troopers
Rough Riders
Hardened Fighters
Cameleoline

HQ::: (doesn't drop)
Senior Officer
-bolter
4x guardsmen
-heavy bolter
2x anti-tank squad
-6x lascannon
2x fire support squad
-6x heavy bolter

ELITES::: (all drop)
Storm Trooper Sergeant
9x Storm Troopers
-2x plasmagun
-10x deep strike

Storm Trooper Sergeant
9x Storm Troopers
-2x plasmagun
-10x deep strike

TROOPS::: (all drop)
Junior officer
-bolter
4x guardsmen
-heavy bolter
3x Infantry squad
-3x plasmagun

Junior officer
-bolter
4x guardsmen
-heavy bolter
3x Infantry squad
-3x plasmagun

FAST::: (none drop)
Salamander Scout vehicle
-Extra Armor

Salamander Scout Vehicle
-Extra Armor

Rough Rider Vet. Sergeant (Clay)
5x Rough Riders
-6x Hunting lances

In practice landings and consolidations, the total unit count has come to:
3x officers
96x guardsmen (including support teams)
2x salamanders
6x Rough Riders
20x Storm Troopers

9x Heavy bolter teams
6x lascannon teams
2x mounted heavy bolters
2x mounted autocannons
10x plasmaguns

So, what do you guys think? I know it isn't a great list, but this is my secondary army (actually, tertiary) and it is more for fun than actually to win. So, minor advice accepted and wanted, but not major stuff, like take out the storm troopers, or screw the Rough Riders, because I like both of those units. Oh, and do I have to pay for cameleoline?

·
LO Oldie
1,248 Posts
yes cameoline must be payed for... drop it. why do you have hardened fighters if nobody is using it? drop it.

Take close order drill, and carapace armour. Put the carapace ONLY on the rough riders because they need to be well protected and beef up the squad to 10. maybe find points by dropping a few storm troopers. 8 man squads of those should suffice.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok sounds good. I know I didn't look for major tactical improvements, but, what are some tactics that I can use to make this force at least a pretty good threat?

·
646 Posts
Well you have a solid firebase for the enemy to be scared of and they still have to worry about a second element of your army. This is very good IMO. I always try to create 2 distinct and seperate sections of my army each capable of inflicting damage. It's more interesting that way.

I like the idea of a drop troops army, but beware. You will have 10 squads trying to get on the board. You may not even achive that in your 3-turn window, and 8/10 squads are 10-man, this increases the already high risk of them dying in terrain.

Personaly I think you will have trouble deepstriking 10-man infantry squads. For a start they only have a single BS3 SW per squad, so they will not be particularly fearsome foe, then as I mentioned before, you will have trouble getting them all on the board safley, are there any hardier units you might consider putting in? Perhaps special weapons squads that can take multiple SWs?

I like your Rough Riders, I notice you are in there - very fluffy! If anything I would throw more points at them, give them a battlefield role!

Edit:

gen.nehring said:
Put the carapace ONLY on the rough riders because they need to be well protected and beef up the squad to 10. maybe find points by dropping a few storm troopers. 8 man squads of those should suffice.
Gen, special equipment has to be taken by all eligable units.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK.... so let me see here.... if I cut down my troop choices to 2 squads per platoon, meaing I drop 50 men instead of 70, would that help? Also, I could decrease my storm troopers to 8 men per squad, and use those points to buff up the rough riders. Then, What would I do with my remaining points? I thought about a basilisk, but with that scatter and the fact that I will have alot of my own troops up there, it would be risky. So, If I took off the Cameleoline and the hardened fighters upgrade, and switched them out for the one where the guys get abonus for standing in line or whatever, and then allowed myself access to SW squads, would that work better? Can I put an SW squad with my junior officer commands?

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK.... so let me see here.... if I cut down my troop choices to 2 squads per platoon, meaing I drop 50 men instead of 70, would that help? Also, I could decrease my storm troopers to 8 men per squad, and use those points to buff up the rough riders. Then, What would I do with my remaining points? I thought about a basilisk, but with that scatter and the fact that I will have alot of my own troops up there, it would be risky. So, If I took off the Cameleoline and the hardened fighters upgrade, and switched them out for the one where the guys get abonus for standing in line or whatever, and then allowed myself access to SW squads, would that work better? Can I put an SW squad with my junior officer commands?

I was fooling around with the list, and I changed a few things:
I took out one of the fire support squads, and put in 2 SW squads, with 3 meltas each, that will drop. These guys are beast.... My chief tanks hunters.
I lowered the ST squads to 8 men each
I took out 2 of the infantry squads
gave teh junior officers autocannons in their command squads instead of the heavy bolters, but I may switch back for horde armies.
bumped up the Rough Rider squad, to 10 riders, and I gave the Sergeant (me) some wargear: Since the hunting lance is a one handed weapon (it replaces the laspistol or the ccw), I gave him the huntinlance. Then, I gave him a power weapon. Then, I had extra points, and I didn't know what to do, and i was like, hey, my character is a puss, so I gave him Honorifica Imperialis. So, I'll just be all like, yeah, that's just my crappy rough rider squad, it can't do much. Then, bang! just reamed a new anus for that squad of terminators! :w00t:

·
646 Posts
I love the idea of the RR sgt. with HSO, Jhagadurn. Such a fluffy idea to have yourself leading the charge. One of the old staff members at our local GW spent hours moddeling his head onto his BA Captain, and gave him a ton of wargear. Fielded him in every game. But it became an ongoing joke that everybody he played would try and kill him ASAP! :D

Personaly I wouldn't put Heavy weapons in the command squads. These are the only basic infantry other than SW squads that can take more than 1 SW - I think you need to take advantage of this in your drop. If you need your line bolstering I would do it with the infanctry squads rather than the command squads, try and get as many SWs down in the drop as possible.

A Basalisk might be an idea, but you are right - with all those friendlies out there it might be difficult to get a template down. If you do decide to put a tank in the army I would deffinatley consider putting a set of improved comms on it.

This army is bound to keep the enemy on their toes as long as the drop troops have the firepower to back up their position. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sounds good. I'll start building it then, I'll probably pick up some guys tonight - But, I'll playtest it several times before I finish to see if I need to switch some of the dropping squads around, and see what I need about the SW's .

Hey, Thanks for the review, that was one of the best I have seen on here in a while.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ok, I've let this sit for like a week, can I get a little more response?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Xemethez...

Back o' the doctrines it lists that you are infact able to add carapace armor to the rough riders alone if you want, as you can with any of the special equipment and "non-guard infantry units"

1 - 10 of 10 Posts