Librarium Online Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK here's the deal, I've been playing 40K for about 12 years now and have a very extensive collection of old miniatures( how may of you remember when all marines wore MK6 armor and Terminators looked nothing like they do now?). I've got quite a few miniatures that can no longer be played with due to rule changes/ army changes. I would like to be able to abuse quite a few of these for conversions in my current army. Can anyone reccomend a good way to remove paint from metal miniatures? Obviously plastics are pretty much out of the question as they will most likely melt. Any advice I can be given on this matter will eb greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Try using oven cleaner ( the one on spraycan) This can be used on both metal and plastic without ruining the mini. I have tried this myself with good result. I just keep spraying the mini and scrubs it with a toothbrush.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Putting them into turpentine or acetate for a few days works pretty good, then you just need to clean them with an old toothbrush.

Cleaning plastic models is possible too - with brake fluid. It's less effective than turpentine, but it doesn't harm the plastic.

PS: MasterBelial typed faster...

jwu

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm sorry if a thread was already started on this subject, I just joined this board yesterday. I attempted to find an answer without much luck.
I really appreciate the quick response I recieved. I'm going to get busy on this project this weekend and I'm going to keep a visual record. So hopefully when I finish I'll be able to show a quality step-by-step.

Thanks to all,
Uncle Jesse

·
Registered
190 Posts
Cleaning Mini's

I have just discovered a great mini cleaner...Pine Sol! Strips 'em down in just a couple of hours. I've even got some real old Lead Marines that have been primered and painted over several times, so much so that a lot of the detail was obscured. A 18 hour bath in Pine Sol and a little scrubbing from a toothbrush and they are good as new!

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Pine Sol?

What's that.
I have a metal bestman chariot that's been painted so many times that the paints have turned in to a hardened glazed surface.
I tried a bit with acetone but it didn't work, though I didn't try hard either.
But again what's Pine Sol?

Kasutta!

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
update

Two things here:
#1- I'm approximately 1/2 way through my first try green stuff is a wonderful thing! I've been keeping a good visual record so you can see the paint job from the original circa 1990, through to my finished product.
#2- Nail polish remover is better than oven cleaner for getting rid of old paint. Soak a miniature for 5 minutes, hit it with an old toothbrush, rinse and repeat. It's great because fingernail polish doesn't hurt your skin at all.

Uncle Jesse

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
ow...
crap.
I knew there was something wrong when I looked at the meltagun and then at the mini again, but I thought maybe it wouldn't be that bad :? . Next time I'll use my plasma cannon 8) .

·
Registered
278 Posts
Sure, give that a try. :p
While you do that I'm going to strap a frag grenade to my mini, see how that works out (using tape to strap grenade to his most prized mini)
FIRE IN THE HOLE! 5 seconds........

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
OK I'm finished! It's Friday night/ Saturday morning I'm 3/4 drunk. Who can do something with my edited photos? Tell me how and where, I'll get it there! (Edit here- Sorry I never took a close enough look at the options in Gallery. I'll get the pics up this afternoon before I go out. UJ)
I'm going to bed now cause I have to get up and work on installing my new computer system at work :p
I'll check in tomorrow afternoon before I start another good drunk :)

BTW I'm sooo glad I found this forum I've needed a place like this for years.

Uncle Jesse (Not bothering to proof read so flame away!)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.