Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Mr Commisar to you
2,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was looking through the codex again the other day and was trying to make interesting and different units. I realised you could create a unit with chimera commisar lord and five priests with eviscrators. It was hideously expensive yet would be an amusing apoc unit. I then got to thinking can if still create a close combat army?

I used to play an army with close order commisars that got to I5 and cheap but ok combat units. So I was wondering if anyone had actually considered a close combat army that is at least viable. I know the straken and ogryn style lists come out but is there any other more imaginitive ways for creating acombat list?

Look forward to seeing other peoples ideas!

A

·
Registered
29 Posts
You could still consider the Penal Legion Infantry Squads as a fine Troop choice for this 'much talked about', Imperial Guard Close Combat Project. Priest support could be vital, even some times expensive.

We have all come to realize that the absence of doctrines has greatly reduce the otherwise average-to-low Close Combat ability of our Faction. I was a fan of Hardened Fighters (for example) and there are cases where I miss the doctrines in terms of Army List Customization and Personalisation. However, even with Doctrines, there were as many people who would still have little faith in CC because of their Battle Experiences.

If you want ideas just to create a CC-based list for your joy, then go stuff like Penal Legions. Have Infantry Squads use Flamers. You could even fill a Veteran Squad with Laspistols/CCWs and have Ogryns.

But above all, even if you base your List in CC (and this will need effort and battle testing) you should always take advantage of the Guard's good shooting capabilities. Try in your mind to have your list as an "Assault/Charge under the cover of Firepower" Tactic, rather than "Storm and forget the triggers" Tactic...

I hope that helps...

·
Torn ACL FTL
4,404 Posts
Infantry in blobs work nicely. 50 or so dudes, power weapons galore, commissars, an allied WH Priest, Inquisitor w/ Null Rod and Holy Relic and a Palatine for lulz (as seen here: Yes The Truth Hurts: Critical Mass: Your face. Your ass. What's the difference?). Unkillable and maybe even capable of hurting something :p

Beyond that, Straken/Creed (furious charge and beatstick vs For the Honor of Cadia), GKs, and plenty of shooting to knock enemies out of their rides.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I've been doing this for a while, merge the squads in a platoon with 2x Commissars, and power weapons everywhere and you have a stubborn brick of 50 that isn't going to go anywhere for a while...combine with straken and psyker battle squad powers for maximum 'lol' capacity...or combine with Commissar Lord for cheap HQ + benefits.

I've tabled crons with it, good times had by all, except the Necron player.

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
make sure that your not facing terminators too.or you will lose very quickly. quicker than a comissar can shoot the fleeing.

·
4,967 Posts
I have faced a 1500 point combat guard army in a tounament. I was using deathguard at the time.

He had...
CCS+straken, Marbo, 4 ogryns, 6 storm troopers, 2x55 man platoon with comisar, lots of PW and plenty of flamers, 25 mand platoon with MLs GLs and a lascannon HWS.

I had 2 daemonprince, 2x7 mechanised melta PMs + PF, 2x7 footslogging PMs with palsma, 7 Nurgle termies.

His blobs did well in combat despite wounding on 6's all the time due to mark of nurgle. If I hadn't had T5 and blight grenades I would have been toast. The combats went on for ages and each time he put in a dozen or so PW attacks. Eventually the princes and termies were eliminated along with a squad of PMs but the deathguard prevailed in the end.

Just watch out for an enemy dread charging the 50 man blobs and locking them in useless combats for eternity.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts