Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking for curveballs to throw at my long time nemisis who thinks he knows every trick in my codes and i came upon hardened fighters. It occuried to me that with +1 to ws and +1 to A a sentinel MIGHT be able to dish out a few surprise atacks.
Here is how i would set it up

Sentinel squadron
3 Sentinels
3 heavy flamers
3 hardened fighters
drop troops
150 points

a str 3 will be able to glance em but the 3 flamers before the charge should soften up most units to allow the assault to be semi succesful

Will running this set up be cost effective?
will it work better then the guard's other close combat choices?
Would you set the squad up differently?
how many of these squadrons would you bring? how many in each squadron?
Has anyone tried this before?

I am just very curious8Y

·
Suffer not the Unclean
2,251 Posts
If you actually manage to put down three heavy flamer templates, it won't soften them up, there will be nothing left in assault range =). Otherwise it works fine, the only trick is surviving the turn you deep strike.

·
Sparta!
1,438 Posts
Depending on the oponent you face charging Sentinels can prove a nasty surprise. For example, if your main oponent is guard or eldar or something else with s3 then consider charging with impunity. The s3 can't glance and you have just tied up a whole unit with a single 50 odd point model. What's not to like? And if they do get hit by a power fist or something then the open top helps them to become sentinel bombs - more carnage!

·
Registered
63 Posts
well, i think what you should tell us before we tell you yay or nay is what army your enemy plays =)

·
2,399 Posts
I was looking for curveballs to throw at my long time nemisis who thinks he knows every trick in my codes and i came upon hardened fighters. It occuried to me that with +1 to ws and +1 to A a sentinel MIGHT be able to dish out a few surprise atacks.
Sentinel squadron
3 Sentinels
3 heavy flamers
3 hardened fighters
drop troops
150 points
Hardened Vets isn't worth the points in my experience - if you're stunned/shaken/immobalised/etc/anything on the vehicle chart you lose one attack (to a minimum of 1) - and that's a 25% cost increase for a possible +1 Init 3 attack. The turn after you drop.

I, personally would walk them in - with the scout move it's not that bad, and use multilasers which you can fire and still then assault as it's vehicle mounted. - you'd get more use out of them as they can also shoot at transports etc.
Take allies for the shock factor - seraphim/grey knights/inquisitor and a assassain etc.
P.S. They are good - in my last game vs tau I gave a pathfinder squad a good kicking with 1! I own a sentinal with 2x assassain kills! I do like them, but not 3x dropping - it's too big a footprint, and if you can't place 1 you can't place any.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I've heard of people taking three sentinels as three separate units (rather than three sentinels forming a single unit). since an enemy unit can only fire one one unit at a time, this meant that deep striking sentinels, that were taken in this way, had a much higher survival rate (or at the very least that the opponent would have to devote more firepower to taking them down)...it's an extremely cheesy approach to warhammer though.

I've used the Heavy flam sentinel myself, they work well enough as a disposable unit or as something to tie up your opponents while you reposition troops to keep them out of close combat. I've never used the drop troops doctrine though so I can't really speak to that.

Also... I recently added some pics of my H. Flammer sentinel to the Showcase. It's designed to represent a Close Combat oriented, Hardened, Sentinel. Check it out and let me know what you think...
http://www.librarium-online.com/showcase/showphoto.php?photo=441&size=big&cat=&ppuser=10158

·
Librarian from Hell
4,133 Posts
I've got no clue on how effective it will be, but it will indeed make for a nice unit. Both by adding flavour to your army and how nice the HeavyFlamer Sentinels can look.

In an old White Dwarf I saw someone using a HF-sentinel with the Armoured Crew compartment and it looked just awesome and I think it could work well for dropping Sentinels too.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ill try this out next time i play vs my friend's eldar

I REALLY like that close combat sentinel nice job on that

Armored crew compartment costs to much for what it would do (it would help though)

3 single sentinels would work better then 1 large group... unless... 4 squads of 3 sentinels??!!??!! CHEESE. if sentinels did not cost so much i would actually consider that.

Thanks for all the help guys... any more ideas?

·
Registered
668 Posts
3 single sentinels would work better then 1 large group... unless... 4 squads of 3 sentinels??!!??!! CHEESE. if sentinels did not cost so much i would actually consider that.

I don't know if I'd consider 4 squads of 3 cheese, simply because it just wouldn't be overly effective. I suppose everyone's definition of cheese is different, but when I think of cheese I think of a unit or units that through the use of a clever interpretation of rules, gains an unfair or unsporting advantage.

As a side note, a unit or units that just don't seem to fit (with fluff or whatever) but gives an army an effectiveness boost isn't necessarily cheese to me, but just lame in varying degrees.

Anyway to get back on topic, 12 sentinels sounds cool on paper, but lets think about this.

A squad of SMs with any heavy weapons at all, worst of which being a plasma cannon or even a heavy bolter will be able to almost assuredly destroy at least one of your sentinels since they'll be adding 1 to the damage roll, and with a blast template it'll count as two hits that you'll have to distribute to your squad. Not to mention regular bolters within rapid fire range are bound to get a few 6's. Even a small squad of troops can destroy a relatively expensive unit without much pause. Of course with 4 squads you'd be presenting more armored targets than most players have ever seen on a table in a non-apocalypse game though.

If I wanted to take CC Sentinels, I'd take 4 Sentinels by themselves, decked out with Heavy Flamers and Hardened Fighters, hide them until my opponent got near my line, jump out, burn them and charge them. I think you'd stand a good chance of causing some damage, especially with the Heavy Flamer's better AP and Str.

·
Set Sail and Conquer!
1,633 Posts
ill try this out next time i play vs my friend's eldar

I REALLY like that close combat sentinel nice job on that

Armored crew compartment costs to much for what it would do (it would help though)

I agree with you about the armoured crew compartment - its better in my opinion without one anyway, seeing as they are more likely to explode in hth this way! Yay sentinel bomb!

I've modelled up 2 sentinels with armoured crew compartments and heavy flamers, they often do quite well. I dont actually pay for the armoured crew part, I just did that 'cos they look cool.

Just love deepstriking in cheap as chips burnenating walkers.

·
2,399 Posts
A squad of SMs with any heavy weapons at all, worst of which being a plasma cannon or even a heavy bolter will be able to almost assuredly destroy at least one of your sentinels since they'll be adding 1 to the damage roll,
- True, and normally penetrating due to your low AV

and with a blast template it'll count as two hits that you'll have to distribute to your squad.
- I thought it was every hit counts as two - thus after rolling to hit - if you succesfully do you roll 2x armour penetration rolls on the same model. (and if both succeed that's 2 seperate damage rolls) - that makes alot more sense too (although i do admit i've got the wrong game for that)

Not to mention regular bolters within rapid fire range are bound to get a few 6's. Even a small squad of troops can destroy a relatively expensive unit without much pause. Of course with 4 squads you'd be presenting more armored targets than most players have ever seen on a table in a non-apocalypse game though.
-As a aside, Not at all! it's only x4. My upcoming tourney plan involves starting the game with 7x different armoured targets - I originally had 10 until i decided the chimeras stunk. my 2x individual sentinals have different roles - Multilaser = stomp in front of the rest of them for targeting priority tests etc, or multilase some love about, my LasCnn one is for threatening Land Raiders, monoliths etc. The majority of my opening game plan is to only present multiple armoured targets - infantry in drop.

Am currently converting 2x sentinals for a commissar and priest setup (To go with my command squad)
The commisar (made not finished painting) is Black/Dark Navy Blue with a simplified skull over the armoured compartment (the vision slits make up the eyes in the skull) and a commissar head & torso (I had a commisar with a hand flamer i was never going to use anyway)
The Priest (Still in box) is a light Grey shaded with white, open topped with his head from the empire generals sprue - the bearded eyepatch head (I've been planning on getting that box for ages for the banner to make a awsome DA Terminator command squad. It just seems a waste of £12 as i don't play fantasy. Maybe a Rough rider sgnt conversion?)
Both are to have Heavy flamers (leftovers from a F/W macharius kit) or multilasers.

·
Registered
668 Posts
-As a aside, Not at all! it's only x4.
Yeah. 4 squads of 3. If you'd read the post again, you'd see I was talking about the disadvantages of taking squads of sentinels, as opposed to lone sentinels.

12 Sentinels plus any other armored targets is way more than I've ever seen on a table outside of apocalypse.

·
Librarian from Hell
4,133 Posts
CadaverJunkie said:
I agree with you about the armoured crew compartment - its better in my opinion without one anyway, seeing as they are more likely to explode in hth this way!
I did not intended it as a viable option in any other way than purely aesthetically. The Sentinel I was referring to looked great, I have no clue on how it behaved on the board if it even used the ACC-upgrade. It's quite common to use this only for looks.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I have used this exact same squad on several occasions. It works really well as a serious distraction for most opponents. Keep in mind that this squad ignores cover saves. My favorite target is an entrenched unit of Space Marine Scouts. Ignore both their cover and their armor.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.