Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
My backpack has JETS!
1,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For a while now I've been building up a decent Raven Guard army. While at the same time, I've been gobbling up any juicy Blood Angels rumours out on the tubes with eager anticipation. But a small part of me is thinking "Duuude, building two different SM armies at the same time? Seriously?". So what I'm considering is getting a few additional pieces such as Honour Guard, Tantalus Landers and such and playing Raven Guard using Codex: Blood Angels. A compromise, if you will.

I know, yes, Raven Guard are a Codex chapter. But at the same time, there are many references to their preferences of fielding forces composed of a large amount of Assault Marines, Veterans of the 1st Company especially so. The idea would be to field something of a Raven Guard 1st Company backed up by Scouts, as fluffily as possible. What I mean by that is, no Blood Angel specific things such as Furioso Dreadnoughts, Exalted, etc.

I was thinking something like this:

Captain "Shrike" w/ Lightning Claws, Jump Pack
"Shrike's Wing" Honour Guard w/ Lightning Claws, Power Fist or two, Jump Packs

Scout Squad w/ Land Speeder Storm
Scout Squad w/ Land Speeder Storm

Assault Squad w/ Tantalus

The only problem, of course, is the Red Thirst. I'm not sure how to get around this. Perhaps the 1st Company of the Raven Guard are unusually aggressive, I don't know. Maybe I'll use Dante and field a ton of Honour Guard troops for that true 1st Company feel.

What do you think, would you have a problem with it? Is this just as cheesy as using the Space Wolves Codex for your Ultramarines or is it justified?

·
Cheeeese
559 Posts
What do you think, would you have a problem with it? Is this just as cheesy as using the Space Wolves Codex for your Ultramarines or is it justified?
I would have no problem. Since SW has some good scouts there's even folks out there who goes SW counts as Raven guard. Go for it !

The only problem, of course, is the Red Thirst. I'm not sure how to get around this
Salt is still needed, but based on rumours this should not be a big problem. For those units which you want more enshurence when it comes to controlling Rage and get FC, get the Laurels of Thorns. It's quite cheap and let you take the Red thirst test on 3D6 (and discard one of them). Other options are a cheap chaplain or a sanguinary priest, instead of shrike. See more over in the rumour section.

·
The Future
4,848 Posts
Hell this is exactly what I'm planning to do - I'm painting them all up in my own colours but other than that I'm in the same boat.

I'm going to have a core of "standard" marines that fit in every army, and then lots of small collections of special HQs and other unique units so I can play as any astartes variants (and when I've got the loyalists done, I'll add some "renegade" and Inquisition options so I can field any power armoured force I like)

·
The Biker Marine
1,618 Posts
Overall, if you are doing a different color scheme and not playing Ultras with their blue armor and their insignias as BA, I think that it would be OK. What I cannot accept though is people playing one of the chapters that has insignia molded into the models (and which are painted as such army) with a codex that does not belong to them. Now THAT screams to me "I do not care about fluff and all, I just want the better codex"...

·
Registered
350 Posts
YES!! I actually have the same problem. wtf do I do with the 20 Assault Marines and only 1 tac. squad I have with the new codex. Unfortunately, nothing has been said about allowing tactical marines to trade bolters for ccw and bolt pistol. Thats means 17 models are still high and dry (and dusty). Ever since the Chapter traits got canned I've been struggling to figure out what to do with my SM's.

On the topic of Rage I'm going to call it "Cold Rage" and make my chapter a Raven Guard foundling chapter. The cold-blooded and steely nature of the fast striking, shadow sneaking, and sudden killing Ravenguard runs deep in this chapter. In the heat of battle some Brothers lose sight of all else, killing the enemy in a cold rage which defies reasoning. They become not only ruthless but also cruel in their slaughter. blah blah blah I want a AV13 skimmer transport. I was also thinking of making a Warhound Titan but was hesitant because of the uselessness of my army. Thank you for giving me hope.

·
Cheeeese
559 Posts
On the topic of Rage I'm going to call it "Cold Rage" and make my chapter a Raven Guard foundling chapter. The cold-blooded and steely nature of the fast striking, shadow sneaking, and sudden killing Ravenguard runs deep in this chapter. In the heat of battle some Brothers lose sight of all else, killing the enemy in a cold rage which defies reasoning. They become not only ruthless but also cruel in their slaughter. blah blah blah I want a AV13 skimmer transport. I was also thinking of making a Warhound Titan but was hesitant because of the uselessness of my army. Thank you for giving me hope.
Lol. I love the idea. :act-up: In my home-made-chapter i'm going to call it "Cheese Rage". The unit has weakness for cheese, and when they smell it, they loose all control. The unit may be lucky to get FC, which in my army of course not is Furious Charge, but Feta Cheese, the Rolls Royce of all cheese. The unit will get I5 S5 the round they are "high" on Feta Cheese.

:sinister::beer:

·
Too Sexy For My Whirlwind
1,148 Posts
If the rumors are true you could also run Astorath to get stubborn as your army rule instead of Red Thirst.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts