Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if this is in the wrong place or inappropriate. I bought the Eldar Codex a month ago, and i was looking through the rules and i spotted something a bit off underneath Guardians:

Options: Two Guardians must be upgraded to a weapon team with a Heavy Weapon Platform

Bolded the headscratching part, it's listed under Options but says that they MUST have a HWP. So is this an option or is it mandatory? i'll just take the shuriken cannon if it's mandatory.

PS. Brake fluid fused two of my Guardian models together, one became very soft and the toothbrush i used to remove paint gouged the plastic, two or three became extremely brittle, snapped in half when i tried to scrub them. I was under the impression and advice that brake fluid was plastic friendly, it didn't damage my metal models, but there's a good 5 guardians down the drain *sigh* did i miss a vital step in paint removal?

·
The Keenest of Eyes
672 Posts
Standard English grammar - if a sentence includes the word 'must', then it 'must' be adhered to. Let alone if it is in bold or CAPITALS! So in answer to your question, two Guardians would definitely have to be upgraded to a HWP.

As for your brake fluid dilemna, I'm no expert on modeling, however I do know that Brake Fluid has too high a viscosity level to be used on plastic models. They should only be used on metal, as plastics have already been heated. Metal has too, but with the solidity of it, it makes it that much more resistant to wear and tear. Think of the plastic glue that GW sells as a brake fluid that is too hard to remove. The Brake Fluid, once it dries in, will make the plastic very soft and brittle, as you already found out. It is very hard to remove once you put it on, and a toothbrush, because the plastic is so fine now, will just scrape off the layers of plastic that are there. After that, you would be better speaking to more veteran modelers as to what to do next. That is a shame that you had to lose 5 of your models. It would be interesting to know who gave you this advice, as this can cause a lot of dread for your plastic models.

Shuriken Cannon? Good choice for the HWP!

Hope this helps!

Fly High!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies and thanks to whoever moved the thread.

It was just confusing that they would put the word MUST under OPTIONS. And i only thought to ask because every photo of guardians i've ever seen has been with a HWP.

Thanks again

- Steve

·
Suffer not the Unclean
2,251 Posts
Pretty much anything that strips acrylic paint will eventually damage styrene. Stripping plastic requires observation. Every 30 minutes or so give it a once over with the tooth brush and see how far along it is.

Also, Hydraulic fluid is an evil substance that should never be misused for something other than its intended purpose. SimpleGreen/MeanGreen, Castrol SuperClean, pretty much any citric acid based cleaner, will do the job fine and can be disposed of properly at home.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts