Librarium Online Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to begin an Iron Warriors army but am unsure on where to begin. Most of my opponents will be chaos space marines with armies of around 1000 pts.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
Start out with some troops (IW box), a warsmith (if you want him in power armour rather than terminator armour), an Obliterator or 2, maybe a rhino.
Later add interesting stuff, more Obliterators, a predator, some Havocs, that sort of thing. Don't forget to add troops as you progress though ;) .

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thx for ur help. Problem is i dont know the rules for 40k yet :p but use to play warhammer a few years ago. HORAH FOR BRETONNIA. so power armour? terminator armour? maybe i should read up on the rules a bit b4 starting.

·
Registered
124 Posts
well, i also want to start an iron warrior army, 1000 pts. And yes, i have read the codex and such. So, i have some questions
For such a small game how much heavey weoponry is good. is a baselisk and a defiler too much for that small a game?
Also, is it better to have more groups of less troops, or less of more? By troops i mean standard chaos marine troopers
i will be playing mainly against eldar and space wolves
any advice?

·
Registered
959 Posts
forget about tanks in such a small game. take only missile launchers for hvy weapons cause it can function as both a troop killer and also for taking out any tanks or heavily armoured units your opponent might have and use plasma weapons for your assault weapons. as for troops i'd say a mix of a couple of max squads and a few smaller ones.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Remember Iron warriors can take a basilisk and a vindacator as well as the normal heavy support choices, there also very cool looking. I use khorne and i only really use defilers and dreadnoughts.

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
Well, you could take 1 tank in 1,000 points, but definately not more. Besides I don't like using 2 ordnance at a time, heavy firepower comes from other sources in my army. Use troops with heavy weapons (none of those minimized squads though!) and Havocs instead. Depending on your opponents, using lascannons or heavy bolters in tac squads and a Havoc squad with 4 missile launchers is typically quite effective.

·
Registered
36 Posts
In fact, I use 2 tanks in my 1000 pts Iron Warriors army. I feel the Basilisk is a must in any Iron Warriors army, just because ordnance is very effective in such small battles, and any other size battles.

I also take a predator for tank hunting.

I might add, to some level of smugness, I have never lost a battle with my Iron Warriors. Ive come close.

To start with Id get 2 boxes of troops, a warmsith, maybe an obliterator and a basilisk. Expand from there.

·
Registered
70 Posts
hmm this might help me as well cause i want to expand on my chaos army. i already have 10 Iron warrior marines, One Lord and Prince, and 1 Dreadnought with Autocannons and Missle launcher

I have a basilisk but its not done yet( still chaosin it up).

what else should i get besides more trrops wich i know i need

·
Registered
36 Posts
yeh well obviously more troops first, before you even begin thinking of any other stuff.

but if you wanna look that far ahead, i'd get two obliterators just for 'ardness and firepower.

·
418 Posts
get at least one obliterator and maybe a basilisk
but first of all you want ur basics, the warsmith (lord or lieutenant) and two squads of basic IW (and then the tattos for your warsmith)
you want a good army before you start adding wargear
hey... please don't use 5-man squads use full 8-man or 12-man squads! yay!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
What do peolpe think of this 1000pt IW army list (not including any upgrades):

-->warsmith [60pt]
-->8 iron warrior troops [125pt]
-->8 iron warrior troops [125pt]
-->1 obliterator [70pt]
-->1 obliterator [70pt]
-->1 obliterator [70pt]
-->5 havocs [83pt]
-->basilisk: indirect fire [125pt]
-->TOTAL: 728pt (leaving 272 points to play with)

Is 272 points enough for upgrades?

·
Registered
239 Posts
Get one dedicated assault unit if u face an army like mine youl most likely get smoked quickely (god [Dark one] bless infiltrate for my troops :D ) and also to plug up the lines or assault other shooty armies

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Okay, how about this:

1000pt army list:
-->warsmith [60pt]
-->5 iron warrior troops [83pt]
-->5 iron warrior troops [83pt]
-->1 obliterator [70pt]
-->1 obliterator [70pt]
-->5 havocs [83pt]
-->1 Dreadnought [75pt]
-->basilisk + indirect fire [125pt]
-->TOTAL: [649pt] (leaving 351pt to play with)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.