Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys I am new to the site and new to 40k so I hope that I have posted this in the right place.
I have just started Necrons as my first 40k army and I really like the look of having Nemesor Zahndrekh and Vargard Obyron leading my army but I am stuck on the colour scheme that the army has.
So please if anyone has any idea all your help would be much appreciated.
*Thanks for your time.

Steven

·
575 Posts
Well, the models you mentioned depicted on the GW homepage were painted with techniques similar to NMM and light sourcing, which are only doable by the best painters, certainly not me. Which also means that trying to copy the official color scheme has a good chance to look on your models not as good as is does on GW's showcase stuff.

Rather than that make your own color scheme to make your army stand out, which might also have easier techniques to make painting them not that much of a pain in the ***
Not that I don't like painting my own models, but as my username and avatar indicate I'm an Ork player and when you have to paint dozens of models (or more, my horde has accumulated over the years to over 200 Orks and ~150 Gretchin and that's not counting bikes and vehicles) you can appreciate methods that are not as time consuming.

That much said my personal suggestion would be priming the models black, painting/drybrushing the bodies in one metal color, the weapons with another metal color and those segments hanging from the arms like some pseudo-robe in a non-metal color of your choice, then wash/shade/ink (whatever those are called nowadays, Nuln Oil seems to be the new black) followed by small corrections where the wash/shade/ink accumulated in an unsightly manner.
Of course that is the budget package as including the black for priming it would need only four colors and the shade/wash (which, for the extreme budgeteer could be created from the black used for priming and some water/alcohol mix)
One can always expand the palette for some extra highlighting, more fancy whashing/inking, and a few extra details, like giving the blades an extra base layer with a different color, doing the heads with a brighter metal (runefang steel for the bodies, stormhost silver for the heads, as an example only) up to some tiny color accents to distinguish different squads for not confusing the models on the gaming table (when you got 200 orks you gotta make sure which one belongs to which mob :p)

And a small detail: also think about how you gonna do the model's base when you decide for a color scheme, this can add immensly to how great your models are gonna look. For example: on a greyish croncrete rubble base bronze or copper Necrons would make a nice contrast, a brown/yellow sand/mud base would be a good foundation for steel/silver Necrons and so on (just don't make the base full with healthy green grass, that is kinda unfitting for a 40K battlefield, although a few occasional strands of grass on a scoreched earth base would be permissible)

·
Registered
17 Posts
My two cents added here would agree with Orkbert, for the black wash I never use Nuln Oil. I always add alcohol to a second bottle of black paint I have and it creates almost an ink type wash. It tends to bleed less because you need less of it to create a darker shade in the crevices... so less touch up! The consistency I go for is that of skim milk, which is the same when thinning a paint for an airbrush. I also would recommend investing in an airbrush, it has helped loads to create a very even thin paint layer.

I would also agree with his type of color scheme. An idea I had while reading your post would be a 4:1 mix of Boltgun metal and Black for the base metal of the body. This would create a more darker worn metal. You can highlight that with a brighter metal paint as well. A secondary metal for weapons etc would be a copper. The non metallic for shoulder ceramics/robes/doo dads would be a bright Orange/red - teal - or you can do a muted forest green. Honestly there is a lot you can do with necrons and the non metallic color. You can also purchase different color weapon fittings instead of that green it comes stock with.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.