Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever kitted 2-3 butchers strictly for combat? The idea occured to me while reading the thread about the Mawseeker Tyrant. With Seeker he is less reliant on Wyrdstone for saves.
My thinking behind this is that they get a WS and magic weapon of some sort. The Ward Save would also help against casting damage too. Couple of ideas I have ...

Butcher One: (Armored Breaker)
Luck Gnoblar
Wyrdstone
Siege Breaker

Even unbuffed this guy could easily issue a challenge to most heroes.

Butcher Two: (Mile High Club) Pun intended
Luck Gnoblar
Cathayn Jet
Club of Might

I wouldn't be over anxious to relly on armor to save me from this guy.

Butcher Three: (BANG for your Bite)
Bang Stick
Biting Blade (seems silly that Butchers have to pay 10pts to get what Bulls get for free)

Bang Stick helps with casting, ToP at least it let you roll a die for a save and biting blade gives you a magical attack and negates an armor save if against guys with just shields.

Any other ideas?

·
LO Zealot
2,610 Posts
Has anyone ever kitted 2-3 butchers strictly for combat? The idea occured to me while reading the thread about the Mawseeker Tyrant. With Seeker he is less reliant on Wyrdstone for saves.
My thinking behind this is that they get a WS and magic weapon of some sort. The Ward Save would also help against casting damage too. Couple of ideas I have ...

Butcher One: (Armored Breaker)
Luck Gnoblar
Wyrdstone
Siege Breaker

Even unbuffed this guy could easily issue a challenge to most heroes.

Butcher Two: (Mile High Club) Pun intended
Luck Gnoblar
Cathayn Jet
Club of Might

I wouldn't be over anxious to relly on armor to save me from this guy.

Butcher Three: (BANG for your Bite)
Bang Stick
Biting Blade (seems silly that Butchers have to pay 10pts to get what Bulls get for free)

Bang Stick helps with casting, ToP at least it let you roll a die for a save and biting blade gives you a magical attack and negates an armor save if against guys with just shields.

Any other ideas?
I can't say I've played it before, but I have played against it. The tyrant had a great weapon and a big name/wyrdstone combo I can't remember (maybe the maw)

1 butcher had the tenderizer
1 butcher had sword of might
1 butcher had siegebreaker
The bangstick and a scroll was put on the bottom two as well.
You can make whatever combination you want. Like all Ogre armies, if you get a good charge off, you've got a decent chance to win, if not, then you're probably going to die anyway. The point is all of your characters are tough and can hit hard, you have some magic defense and offense, but you still want to keep things cheap, so I think the luck gnoblars and extra stuff on the butchers is unecessary. Just get more ironguts. Having magic weapons spread around will sure help when playing tree spirits, ethereals and demons.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I didn't make it too clear in my post that I am not really looking for the BEST way to construct an OK army. I know that more IG's are usually the way to go. But it gets a bit redundant and boring after a while. :X So this is sort of exploring ways to change it up a little.
I thought about Tenderizer on the butcher too but even with T5 it seems a little too fragile to purposely put into combat. Striking last, no armor or ward is pretty chancey. Especially if he gives himself a wound or two from casting. Usually if combat comes to my butchers I am okay with it but these guys are meant to get in there and mix it up.

I agree though that Bang for you Bite is pretty weak and Luck gnoblars would only be added if there was that random 5-15 points left over constructing the rest of the army. That's pretty easy to end up with unless you add that random 21st or 26th gnoblar and that just doesn't fit on most of my movement trays. It looks sloppy and it's a pain to move one guy because he doesn't fit on the tray.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.