Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
running
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This was a combat patrol game that I played over the weekend. The table had a few small hills, some woods, and a building on it scattered pretty evenly over the whole table. I played Orks, my opponent was playing Marines.

Orks:
12 Boys with a Nob who had a klaw and boss pole
Trukk with red paint and armour plates

3 warbikers with a Nob who had a klaw and boss pole

10 Kommandos with 2 rokkits

Space Marines:
6 Man Tactical Squad with a missile lancher

6 Man Tactical Squad with a power fist
Razorback with heavy bolter

Dreadnought with assault cannon and storm bolter

Deployment:

The Trukk was behind cover in the middle of my deployment zone and the bikers were behind cover on the right side of my zone.

The ML Tactical Squad was on top of the building in the center of his deployment zone, the razorback squad was on the left side of the board, and the dreadnought deployed on the right side of his zone (all of this is from my perspective).

The Kommandos infiltrated into some woods on the right side in the middle third of the board.

Marines won first turn.

Marines 1
The Razorback moved forward 12". ML Tac Squad killed two Kommandos. Dread moved forward but couldn't see anything.

Orks 1
Trukk turbo boosted behind some cover on the right side of the board, leaving the Razorback alone on the left side (ha!). The Kommandos killed two marines in the ML squad. The bikes move up slowly but stay hidden from the Dread.

Marines 2
Razorback moves towards the other side of the board. ML squad kills another Kommando. Dread shoots the big shoota off of the Trukk.

Orks 2
Trukk moves 12" towards the Razorback and Slugga boys get out. Kommandos immobilize the Razorback (but didn't make the Marines get out, which was not helpful at all). I use my Waaagh! The bikes assault the dread and kill it (he missed all of his power fist attacks and got beaten up by the Nob). Slugga boys assault the Razorback but fail to do anything.

Marines 3
ML squad shoots at slugga boys, killing a few. Razorback shoots at slugga boys, killing a few more. Marines get out of Razorback and assault slugga boys. They kill the squad, losing one.

Orks 3
Bikes move 12" towards ML squad and shoot at them, killing no one. Kommandos kill two in the ML squad. Trukk moves inbetween Kommandos and the PF tactical squad. Bikes assault and kill ML squad.

Marines 4
Razorback and remaining tactical squad kill two bikers. The Nob fails his test, falls back into the PF squad, and dies.

Orks 4
Kommandos shoot at Marines but miss.

Marines 5
Marines charge Trukk and blow it up.

Orks 5
Kommandos shoot at marines but miss. They assault and kill one marine, but lose two (leaving two alive). The Kommandos fail their test and are cut down.

Result: Marines win.

This was my first time using the Orks, and I was surprised at the finesse they required. Since they might as well not be wearing armour they are very fragile, and they really need to get the charge to be effective in assault.

The Trukk boys didn't have a good target to assault (the Dread was being handled and the ML Tac Squad was too far away), so they seemed a bit wasted. I am going to need to find a clear objective for them every game and make sure they get there, because they aren't a very versatile unit and if they aren't rushing into assault or busy killing things they are vulnerable and useless.

The bikers were very powerful (fast, good at shooting, the the klaw kills things well), but fragile due to their small squad size. They are going to need to be larger to be effective.

The Kommandos were useful as a distraction. The rokkits did some damage, but Ork shooting isn't something to rely on when there are only two shots. They were also not terrible effective in assault without a powerfist. However, I really like the idea of this unit so I'm going to play around with them a bit and see what happens.

·
Registered
5,129 Posts
The Trukk boys didn't have a good target to assault (the Dread was being handled and the ML Tac Squad was too far away), so they seemed a bit wasted. I am going to need to find a clear objective for them every game and make sure they get there, because they aren't a very versatile unit and if they aren't rushing into assault or busy killing things they are vulnerable and useless.
First of all, good report and damn, that came down to the last handful of models in the end.

Maybe you should give shoota boyz a try instead of slugga boyz, I believe its been said that they are considered a good alternative in trukks since their weapons are no longer (last I remember hearing) rapid fire. They might have helped you to pick off another marine or two, due to shoota boyz having a bit more range on their gunz...:C

·
running
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Seriously, I was three wounds away from making his squad non-scoring and getting a draw instead.

I think I'm going to keep the slugga boys, because the goal is to get a quick assault. They're going to be moving 25" the first turn and then hopefully Waaagh!-ing into assault the second turn, so they won't have the opportunity to shoot. If I go with shoota boys their purpose becomes a bit muddled.

Now, if I was going to be footslogging my way across the board, shoota boys would be the way to go.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.