Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quick clarification: Razorbacks can take 6 marines. Can I make a 10 man tact squad, separate it out into 2 combat squads (say 5 and 5) and give each Combat Squad a Razorback? Or since the original squad is 10 man strong, the Rhino is the only option for a dedicated transport?

Thanks in advance.

·
My backpack has JETS!
1,983 Posts
Quick clarification: Razorbacks can take 6 marines. Can I make a 10 man tact squad, separate it out into 2 combat squads (say 5 and 5) and give each Combat Squad a Razorback?
Yes and no. As one troops choice, it can only have one dedicated Transport. But yes, you can split the Tactical Squad into two 5-man Combat Squads and put one in the Razorback. It's a common tactic amongst many marine players. You put the Sergeant (PW/PF) and the special weapon in the Razorback and four guys with a heavy weapon sit on the home objective.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Hey,

I did a quick look through my Codex and the Rulebook and I couldn't find anything that says you cant. Also going with the idea that you can take a dedicated transport and not deploy troops in it, yes you could take a Razorback for a Combat Team.

However, take into account I am not a SM player and not a Rule Lawyer.

-i got ninja'd-

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
But there's nothing to stop you buying one for another squad that won't use it, you just can't start anyone else in it.
This works very well with SW, as their Long Fangs can take, but generally will not need, a dedicated transport. The new BA also have much more affordable Devastators, and so again it is a viable choice for them as well, although their Razorbacks are a bit more expensive (and for good reason). Otherwise, there's generally few circumstances when a squad other than Devies can afford to abandon their transport, and so this tactic would appear exclusive (according to cost effectiveness) to SW and BA.. Vanilla Devies are just too expensive (by comparison, +5 points / HB, MM, or ML, +10 points per PC or LC, not much of a difference, but enough to justify other Heavy choices over them.)

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I see..so if I wanted to take a 10 man tact squad with ML and PF, I could give them a Razorback. Then at the beginning of the game I could put 5 marines with the ML near the back, besides the Razorback, while the other 5 with the PF could take a forward position. The ML and the TLLC on the Razorback would be quite handy from the back, providing cover fire. In the meantime the 5 marines with PF could claim objectives or run screen against charging hoards. And if I needed to I could board the Razorback with the 5 marines in the back and move them forward in the Razorback to support their mates or claim objectives. Does all that sound about legal?

·
Cousin It
1,385 Posts
Yes, this is all completely fine.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
You've got it all backwards. The sergeant and special weapon (flamer/melta/plasma) go in the razorback, while the heavy weapon sits back and fires down field. Also, razorbacks do not have fire points, so your ML will be sitting idle until the turn after squad disembarks. Also also, no need to deploy the models on field, squads who purchased a dedicated transport can begin the game inside of that transport.

Here's an example:

Tactical Squad
+Combat Squad
++Sergeant with Meltabombs and Power Weapon
++1x Meltagun
++ 3x stock Tactical Marines
++ Razorback
+++ TL Assault Cannon
+Combat Squad
++ Missile Launcher
++ 4x stock Tactical Marines

·
Cousin It
1,385 Posts
i think the idea for him bringing a razorback was that it brings more firepower than a rhino, thus he could sit back with his ML carrying half of the tactical squad and the razorback using them to blow stuff up, while running forward on foot with the powerfist wielding half of the squad, then maybe using the razorback to bring the ML half up in support if nescessary

·
1,880 Posts
Been using Razorbacks with the Las/TL Plasmagun upgrade and my god they're awsome!

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You've got it all backwards. The sergeant and special weapon (flamer/melta/plasma) go in the razorback, while the heavy weapon sits back and fires down field. Also, razorbacks do not have fire points, so your ML will be sitting idle until the turn after squad disembarks. Also also, no need to deploy the models on field, squads who purchased a dedicated transport can begin the game inside of that transport.
Boss I'm actually not putting *anyone* inside the Razorback if I can help it. The ML marine, along with half the squad, start besides the Razorback, not inside it. Preferably inside a building. Rhinos and Razorbacks are rolling coffins - I don't usually put anyone inside them. I play a spread fireline. The Razorback and the ML stay back and fire using that 48" range. And realitycheque, as far as the Razorbacks being targets - that's half their reason for being there. If my Razorback is shot up over my LR, or Preds, or Dreads, then great! But in previous games they are ignored over the bigger targets. My Razorbacks, due to staying back and firing, usually lived to see round 5 or 6 in the 4th ed games I played. I have yet to play under the 5th ed rules so I'll see if that's the case but I plan to run 3 Razorbacks, all in the back. Between them, 3 MLin tact squads, a Ven Dread with TLLC and ML, scout squad with ML, MotF with Conversion Beamer, two Annihilators and a LR that's 15 48" Str 8 -10 shots - with any luck (and twin linked helps with that) after one round all the opponents vehicles are history. Alternatively I could pour that into big Nids, various smaller vehicles and/or transports. Leave him footslogging and shoot em up when he does.

Trouble of course comes from fast assaulty armies and ones that deepstrike but that's always the problem with firelines. That's why I do mine spread out so at least they can't bounce from squad to squad in CC madness. I also like to use an HQ choice to cover my ass - like a Chappy with a jumpack near the back lines. He could respond to deepstrikes or stop assaults for a round or two all by himself. The point is to control the firelines, have all the angles and not give the opponent a safe lane.

·
1,880 Posts
Even though you can't move and fire all the guns? Heavy Bolters only for me, anything else makes them a target.
Who cares, the point is they're moving forward. Once you're within 12' you're getting TWO plasma shots and BOTH are twin linked. If you happen to stay stationary (disembark and assault, yes both can fire and that's 3 SHOTS with usually 2 INSTA dead marines, etc. It's brutal for everything. Terminators, you name it! You heavy bolter might be a 'fine' weapon, but I can mow you down with no save. Especially since the most common player is Space Marine...it's brutal. Horde...flamers on my dreads and 2 vindicators. Seriously, try it...with 4 so far, I haven't been disappointed (my opponents have).

PLUS it's more durable, you weapon destroy your Heavy Bolter and it's a floating box...I still have an active weapon system after one weapon destroyed and it's still AP2.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Boss I'm actually not putting *anyone* inside the Razorback if I can help it. The ML marine, along with half the squad, start besides the Razorback, not inside it. Preferably inside a building. Rhinos and Razorbacks are rolling coffins - I don't usually put anyone inside them
Ah, I misunderstood your previous post, my bad.

But on that, Rhinos and Razorbacks are not rolling coffins. On the contrary, they require a significant amount of anti-tank fire to bring down in one turn (as with all vehicles). Think about it, opponents need to hit, roll armour penetration, then roll on the damage table, after which there's only a 1/3 chance it will pop. They provide mobility where you would otherwise be required to run on foot. My friend runs a similar list, though. He'll place his heavy weapon combat squad in terrain, usually the second floor of a ruins for the increased visibility, and set up a wall of rhinos to deter his opponents from the assault.. inside the rhinos are his second combat squad, with flamers and power weapons, ready to fire from the top hatch if anything gets too close. Then, late-mid game the Rhinos break formation to tank shock vulnerable targets and sit on distant objectives.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Boss, you and Carnage both got the idea. My army is simply not assaulty so even though one could argue that the Razorbacks might be able to make it close enough to send Marines into assault, that's just not my style. My philosophy is "why bring a sword to a gun fight?". If I can hammer my opponent from 4 feet away and make him bleed every inch he walks towards me, that's what I'm doing.

Then of course they try to drop in or infiltrate or some such and that's where the fun is.

Thank you all for the comments, by the by. As always they are instrumental for me as I try to plan for games and divine new tactics. Specially now, with the Nid list being as fierce as it is I really appreciate all the input on any strategies with SM.

·
1,880 Posts
Boss, you and Carnage both got the idea. My army is simply not assaulty so even though one could argue that the Razorbacks might be able to make it close enough to send Marines into assault, that's just not my style. My philosophy is "why bring a sword to a gun fight?". If I can hammer my opponent from 4 feet away and make him bleed every inch he walks towards me, that's what I'm doing.

Then of course they try to drop in or infiltrate or some such and that's where the fun is.

Thank you all for the comments, by the by. As always they are instrumental for me as I try to plan for games and divine new tactics. Specially now, with the Nid list being as fierce as it is I really appreciate all the input on any strategies with SM.
All the more reason to upgrade to the Las/Plas :)

But reading what's posted above, you do not have to deploy INSIDE a dedicated transport. Same way a Dreadnought can deploy as normal and have his drop pod deep strike empty.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts