Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you guys feel about equipping CSM champions with combi-weapons. So far, I have not, but I've been thinking that it might provide my squads with a little extra punch. Do you guys think they are a solid use of points, or is 10 points too much for a single shot of a special weapon?

·
The other Kind of Fluff
8,843 Posts
It's not a bad choice for CSM champs. In fact, you could "fudge" a havoc squad out of basic CSMs by taking dual special weapons & combi-specials on both the champ and the rhino.

For smaller point games, a combi-weapon champ allows you the much needed reduction to your squad size, down below 10, while still retaining the benefits of the initial dual special weapon fire- that is, a melta gun on a basic marine & a combi-melta on a champ.

·
One Awesome Dude
1,902 Posts
I suppose my concern against them is trying to maintain synergy with your units. It's always nice to have units that can handle all possibilities but the most effective combinations are going to be the ones where everything 'gels' together. For example, a unit of CSM with Plasmaguns has a Champion with a Combi-Melta in case they run into some heavy armor. Well, since you've got the combi-melta you decide to shoot it at the armor instead of shooting an enemy squad, moving towards an objective or assaulting a different unit - if you're lucky you'll get a kill, but with one shot probably not. Even if you do, that's a whole round of shooting/marching whatever that the rest of your unit just missed out on. That's why old school Thousand Sons (if you were around then) were so tough to play, the Aspiring Sorcerers always had to spend shooting phases targetting transports and armor while their bolter bretheren sat around and watched.

Honestly, the greatest use is going to Combi-Flamers, which will help greatly against a large horde armor like Orks which can overwhelm smaller numbered armies like ours pretty quickly. Combi-Plasma can really give out a big kick, but you run the risk of 'offing' your Champion, which is almost NEVER a good idea, we need those guys.

Just some points. Ultimately these are just my thoughts, I've not heavily explored this set-up on the table.

·
Firefly
4,209 Posts
I like taking combi-flamers. It cannot miss and allows you to take other specials and still have the versatility of a flamer for some situations.

It will be more important in my armies with the new 'nids codex out.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I never did it myself but I've seen a Nurgle player put his Plaque Marine champion combi-flamers to good use against some Orks.

I could imagine it's really good in nurgle armies, which have lots of staying power but lack in the killing power department somehow. They can add some much needed anti-horde to their expensive squads that way.

·
Registered
33 Posts
combi-flamers! of course! *evil laughter*
i've always stuck with combimeltas when i go for combiweapons

·
Registered
125 Posts
combi-flamers! of course! *evil laughter*
i've always stuck with combimeltas when i go for combiweapons
lols meltas ftw

i started saving points by playing smaller squads with a combi melta on the leader, and then chuck one on the rhino too.
this is stylised and not good probabily, but i go like this.

6 marines
meltagun
ldr, PF combi melta
iocg
rhino with combi melta
205 points.

Less points than 10 guys, and still mounts 3 meltas, shud kill off tanks well enough, points saved but extra obliterators and the like

·
Registered
100 Posts
How do you guys feel about equipping CSM champions with combi-weapons. So far, I have not, but I've been thinking that it might provide my squads with a little extra punch. Do you guys think they are a solid use of points, or is 10 points too much for a single shot of a special weapon?
I like to run 10 man squads, pfist, las cannon, melta gun, and a combi flamer on the champ. They can sit and shoot/guard objective, rapid fire bolters, melee, the squad does everything pretty well. Thought at 275 it isn't cheap, for smaller games I still really like the combi flamer champ because he is going to be towards the front for an assault and being able to knock out numbers is nice vs ork/nid

·
One Awesome Dude
1,902 Posts
I suppose if you're one of those self proclaimed "low-rollers" then you could take a Combi-Melta with an already Melta'd unit - just to make sure the job gets done. Does get a little close to the dangerously redundant zone.

·
Swarm Queen of LO
1,174 Posts
I always take a combi-weapon on the squad with my HQ to keep special weapon redundancy, that is, so I can keep 2 special weapons per squad (though one is single-shot, obviously).

Edit - so I can have 9 marines + an HQ riding around in a rhino together.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts