Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all!

I've been reading some of the posts and army lists that have been submitted and they're absolutely amazing! Thanks for all of your contributions, it's helped me alot.

So the last big campaign I was active in was Lustria. I'm coming back after about 7 years, bought the new rule and army book and I have a good grasp of the new game down.

Some O&G questions!!!

I'm sick of the stereotypical orc warboss. I want to do a Ner Zhul inspired dark shaman type horde that has some scary magic. I often organize non formal tournaments with friends so I want it to be a very competitive list. Namely one for 1000 points and one for 2000 points. Is a competitive magic orc army even viable? Will I absolutely need to employ the melee prowess of the almighty big bosses and warbosses? Or can one smash the enemy with waves of magic? The new gaze of mork looks deadly. How awesome would it be the shred the enemy with 3 of those per turn?

That being said, my greatest rival in my group of friends is playing daemons of khorne and cheaply throwing in units from other factions like flamers and a herald of tzeentch... as well as stealing my idea of using multiple purple suns of xerius to blow me up freakin instantly. I've only had one game against him at 500 points. I completely smashed him... But I know that's only because O&G's are all but an unstoppable death wave in games that small. I'm fearing for 1000 points and 2000 points though. I Can't match his bloodletters in combat, I don't have a clue as to how to nullify the flamers, and I'm obviously bested in magic due to his cheap god mixing.

I'm also having trouble with strategizing against wood elves. I know I can't catch them and they'll just keep dancing around and picking me off. Any thoughts?

I know this is a loaded sack of questions. Any help you guys & gals would be able to give would be more than appreciated.

Thanks!!
- Robby

·
Registered
284 Posts
Orc magic is not what it was back when you last palyed. That is because there are now winds of magic and the number of power dice changes randomly each turn - having 3-4 shamans and 5 power dice a turn wont get you far. Orcs and goblins used to generate extra dice in the magic phase - thats gone. Honestly, i love magic and take a shaman or two, but i would never base my list on shamen. Orcs liek to get up and personal, so warboss it is for me.
Doom divers are amazing, especially with their ability to redirect a land - very useful against skirmishers - for ex wood elves or those bloodletters. Also spider riders are pretty awesome as they ignore difficult terrain, definitely handy in the woods. Trolls in groups of 6 or 8 are amazing when it comes to smashing up tougher units, dont forget to take some.
Thats probably all i can give you now for advice.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Orc magic is not what it was back when you last palyed. That is because there are now winds of magic and the number of power dice changes randomly each turn - having 3-4 shamans and 5 power dice a turn wont get you far. Orcs and goblins used to generate extra dice in the magic phase - thats gone. Honestly, i love magic and take a shaman or two, but i would never base my list on shamen. Orcs liek to get up and personal, so warboss it is for me.
Doom divers are amazing, especially with their ability to redirect a land - very useful against skirmishers - for ex wood elves or those bloodletters. Also spider riders are pretty awesome as they ignore difficult terrain, definitely handy in the woods. Trolls in groups of 6 or 8 are amazing when it comes to smashing up tougher units, dont forget to take some.
Thats probably all i can give you now for advice.
That's pretty much everything I needed to know. Thanks so much!!!! I'll be posting my army lists in a short time. Thats kind of sad to hear about the new magic phase. I was really looking forward to smashing out 5-6 spells per turn and shredding enemy ranks. Guess I'll stick to the toughies with some minor magic wielding.

Spider riders would be a wicked choice! Wish they didn't fear elves but meh. I own a doom diver and I haven't played it once. I guess it's time :D

Thanks a bunch again,
- Robby

·
Drill Sergeant
10,215 Posts
Welcome back to the game dude :) The game has changed quite significantly. Magic is altogether more scary but more random and less reliable so it's hard basing a list around it. In larger games where you can grab a Level 4 Orc shaman you can go for a crazy build that turns your Shaman into the Hulk but at 1k your probably best off with a Night goblin Shaman. He gets 'bonus' power dice (in the form of mushrooms) which can really swing the balance of power in your favour. I'd also grab the ruby ring of ruin for more blastyness.

As for the Orc Magic. Well, the fists of Gork spell turn him into 'The Hulk'. Ere' we go is very handy up once you get close. Hand of Gork can be great for surprises and foot of Gork is obviously, well, stompy. The other spells are pretty much pants. Str4 doesn't really scare anyone so I think you'll be disappointed by their lack of destructiveness. I know I was. The ony problem with the ORc Magic is that it's 'up close and personal' and getting a Shaman up close and personal isn't the smartest plan in the world. Still, giving your Great shaman the below build can cause some SERIOUS pain.

Savage Orc Great Shaman. Fencers Blades. Talisman of Preservation. Potion of toughness.

So, this build is expensive so you wont even get to look at it till 2k but what can this boy do? Well, when (hopefully) he gets the fists of gork spell he kicks out 6 Attacks at str7 and at WS10. Plus! Don't forget he gets the choppas rule AND if there are more orcs fighting than fleeing he gets a further +1str from the Lore attribute so thats STR9!!. He also has the option to use the potion and be Toughness 8 for a turn in case he comes up against a Vampire or Chaos Lord.

As for some tricks against daemons. Daemons like fire. So the Dragon Helm and Dragonbane gem are really bloody handy. Blood Letter Herald things like a sword that gives them +1str and flaming attacks. Giving your big boss the Dragon helm means you're rocking a 2+Ward save against him. Similarly, a goblin Big Boss on Wolf/Squig with the Dragon bane gem is great for hunting down flamers as he gets a 2+ Ward save too :D. Just hide your trolls from those flaming attacks.

·
Registered
497 Posts
If you want a menacing greenskin wizard (and you'll get a good fighter and a monster in the package), look at Azhag with his three levels of Death magic. Of course, he's expensive and suffers from Stupidity, but for the feel there's nothing better. A more viable option would be a Goblin Warboss with a Wizarding Hat, quite cheap and possibly very useful, if you roll lucky. Still, either option is an unreliable one.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
You guys are amazing thank you so much for all your help. My goal is clear now. New list coming up in the appropriate section,

@ Miko: Sounds cool I might try it in a friendly game.
@ Lord Borak: That shammy sounds awesome! Though I'm biased against savage orcs so I might just do a reg great shammy. How do you presume to put twin swords on a shaman? Is that legal? The wolf rider with the helm is genius! I gave the shard to my big boss already for skulltaker challenges. He won't even see it coming. But the wolf boss on the flamers is genius! Thank you :D

thanks again all,
- Robby

·
Registered
206 Posts
he is a little more expensive but a black orc boss on a boar with a shield, the dragonhelm and the dawnstone is rocking a 2+ re rollable save and a 2+ ward against those flamers, and with a great weapon or just the plain old choppas rule, it takes him a turn or two to mulch them into powder and they need around eighty shots to have a chance at wounding him at all

I do something similar with a questing paladin and the same build, plus, if your opponent likes skulltaker on a chariot, your boss will eat him alive

·
Drill Sergeant
10,215 Posts
@ Lord Borak: That shammy sounds awesome! Though I'm biased against savage orcs so I might just do a reg great shammy. How do you presume to put twin swords on a shaman? Is that legal? The wolf rider with the helm is genius! I gave the shard to my big boss already for skulltaker challenges. He won't even see it coming. But the wolf boss on the flamers is genius! Thank you :D
No Worries. The Normal Shaman is still good but he'll be taking fear tests and will have one less attack due to not having frenzy. Still, five WS10 strength 9 attacks is going to scare the socks off most things. As for modelling the Twin choppas. Fantasy isn't 'WYSIWYG'* so you don't actually need to have your Shaman armed with two swords. you could say he's got fencers kicking boots or fencers gauntlets or some other silliness. As for legalness, it's legal. The only thing a Shaman can't have is magic armour.

No worries about the Wolf Shaman. It's all good fun :D

*What You See Is What You Get - WYSIWYG

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
@ ManedWolf: Also an amazing idea. I can't fit him into this game unfortunately... But I love the re-rolled armor saved on top of the ward save. Will definitely try it.

@ LordBorak: Thank you for clearing up wysiwyg I had no idea what that meant. There was nothing in the rulebook stating whether or not you can do that (that I saw) so that's amazing to know. I can't wait to try him out! Maybe I might try to make a hero version of him. Sounds like fun! :D

You guys have all been amazing thanks to all!
- Robby

1 - 9 of 9 Posts