Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well if you already have your 2 core choices and your hq choice, with marines to spare, wouldnt it be better if you had your last 5 marines as a hq squad(so i get 2 special weapons) than being a tactical squad( only 1 special weapon)? Eg. Commander with 5 man command squad(all normal guys) and 2 x 10man tac squads rather than havin Commander + 2x 10 man tac squads + a 5 man tac squad. Also this way my commander is not on his own and gettin shot all the time :p

·
Registered
396 Posts
you're commander is an independent character, so he shouldnt get shot at anyways. as for command squads, they are usually a waste of points.

·
Slave to the flesh
3,354 Posts
Generally tactical squads are more effective than command squads.

For command squads to be effective they have to be geared towards close combat and they end up having a horrendous cost.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Your commander can simply join one of your tac squads remember. That gives him all the shields he needs.

·
Registered
178 Posts
command squads

arghh, despite their possibilities ( apothecary, standard bearer etc) they are not worth taking, and they arent really ver fluffy or cool either, i would take a veterans squad better than tactical squads, cheaper and better than command squads, and the l00k awesome!

·
Registered
134 Posts
yeah, but this command squad has no real upgrades with it except 2 special weapons, that be it, and the book says its still the same * points per marine, + * for meltagun and + * for flamer. So doesnt that come out as the same as a 5 man tac squad pretty much, with an extra special weapon?

So For a command squad that would be
5 marines + meltagun + flamer, = 91 pts.

Where a tac squad would be.
5 marines + meltagun + cant have a flamer= 85 pts. Its only * points dif so then id be stickin a useless flamer in one of my tac squads that doesnt move :p

·
Registered
655 Posts
The only fundamental difference is the command squad makes your HQ a non-IC unit. If you intend on sticking your Commander (or whatever) in with a tactical squad that's geared towards close combat or give him a command squad that's geared towards close combat... they'll be about the same. In fact, the command squad has the slight advantage of deploying later, plus the second special weapon. This is an awful lot like people swearing that Veteran squads are bad, and yet saying that the See, but Don't be Seen trait is fantastic.

What others have said about needing to gear the squad towards close combat is valid, however. HQ choices really want to be in CC, the only exception is -possibly- the Librarian... and I probably only think that because I don't use Librarians so don't know the unit very well. So if you gear the squad with bolters and two plasma guns... the HQ is going to sit there being a very overpriced tactical marine.

·
Slave to the flesh
3,354 Posts
Cypher, you have to edit your post, you are not allowed to post individual costs for things (i.e a bolter costs 10 points (it doesn't but thats an example)).

It could get this site into trouble with GW, I hope you read this before a mod does.

·
No Rest For the Righteous
1,140 Posts
Cypher, what you suggest is completely right, if you want an extra special weapon the Command Squad is better. As added bonuses, you also get to deploy later and have your HQ as a scoring unit. A cheap command squad is always better than a tac squad as long as the points are equal.

As for upgrading command squads(with term honors, apoths, standard bearers and champions), do this only when the points level of the game is big and the benefits outweigh the risks. If you're sure you can get them into close combat without taking alot of shooting casualties, or you plan to use them as a counter charge, then take them. If you want a powerful shooting unit with extra special weapon choices or want your HQ to be a scoring unit take them. If you want your HQ in a vehicle and you want them to arrive together in escalation, take them.

Do not take them and use them as a frontal assualt unit, they will get destroyed and you will form the same opinion as most players; they suck. If you want a main close combat unit, use an Assualt Squad with a character attached with a jump pack.

Take an Apothecary if you have men with T. Honors in your command squad since whenever he saves one, thats 18 or more points you're saving. Or if you have Terminators, keep them nearby an Apothecary. You'll save yourself 40 points every time a guy is supposed to die.

Take a Champion if you already have a Sergeant and you want another power weapon in there for some reason. Take a Standard Bearer if you need the reliability of leadership or the effects of Holy Relics and Chapter Standards(strong abilities when combined with command squads who tend to have lots of attacks already and wield power weapons/fists).

You can use the Veteran models to represent men with terminator honors since its fitting and looks cool. The veterans have known the Commander for ages and have fought with him often. The command squad acts as a bodyguard and staff for the Commander. How is that not fluffy?

Most players don't use them, but then again most players don't play escalation, or 4000 point games, or use them as shooting powerhouse. My brother is a beginner and fields one in his 500 point Dark Angels list with the upgrades as just two plasma guns and a sergeant with a combi plasma and lightning claw, and it works very well. With the Commander's pistol added in, they can let lose 7 plasma shots in one turn, along with the bolters. Even if the enemy charges them after that, its a done deal.

Yes, Command Squads will always be a big target and sometimes they will die without doing anything(everything does sometimes), but it's up to the player to use them wisely.

·
Too Sexy For My Whirlwind
1,148 Posts
Command squads are usually expensive if they are going to be worth anything so only take them in larger games...However...they can be really nasty units if you do indeed take them.

First of all i would like to say that they are actually quite fluffy and add a centre piece to an army. Second off they are the only way to get your chars a vet skill, which is always a bonus. Third they actually can be made to be quite effective, just make sure your watchful of how you get them across the field.

Used properly they can be both good looking and strong competetively, however misused they can quickly become a liabilty.

·
991 Posts
Another thing you can do with a command squad and not a tac squad is take special skills: Furious Charge, Tank Hunter, and Infiltrate.

·
Registered
282 Posts
The nice thing about a cheap Command squad is being able to give Infiltrate ability to your HQ. Now he hits the table at the end of deployment allowing you to place/hide him as required. It all so denies your apponent the chance to counter deploy in response to him/them.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
yeah, well its not a tooled up command squad so it isnt wastin points. Its a Captain with Power Weapon and Bolt Pistol, + 5 guys, 3 with close combat weapons and bolt pistols, and 2 guys with special weapons. If the enemy is going to go out of their way to kill em, well ill just hide em and let the rest of my army shoot at em(this squad is primarily for movin forward, and also so i dont have to have a flamer and a melta gun in a army thats primarily not gunna move.)

·
Registered
335 Posts
The way I see this whole situation is they are worth it. Command squads are only ever overpriced when really well geared for CC. Small command squads that are cheap can be a pain in your enemies butt. Just remember to support them with another unit unless they are used as bait. If all you want is another special weapon...what better way!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts