Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about playing IG but I first want to know if I like painting the models. I don't have the codex here and I also don't know where I can see one(the store doesn't own one and we don't have a guard player around)
I want to buy some HQ models/blisters but I don't know what to take because I don't know where the command squad consists of.

Can anyone tell me what I HAVE to take in an HQ.

I don't know if it's against the forum rules if so feel free to close it.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I actually just posted an article on this sort of thing... my article was for Catachan models, but the same ideas apply if you're using Cadian models, it'll just end up a little bit cheaper!

The article is HERE.

Also, I would recommend checking out the GW online STORE.

Since you specifically asked about the command squad, here's an example of a Cadian HQ CHOICE.

Hope all of this helps!

·
Registered
274 Posts
You have to take an officer and his staff which consists of 4 guardsmen. Those guardsmen can be given various special weapons or can be upgraded to veterans so that they can become a standard bearer or medic. thats pretty much it for a command squad, unless you want to make a whole command platoon, which would consist of various support squads.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I wouldn't recommend getting the Cadian HQ box set however, you will almost never use the medic or master vox models, and dont get me started on that wounded guard model! If you want to see if you like painting guardsmen, I would buy a blister of officers. I wouldn't get one with a power fist btw, thats another useless model. However the plasma gun or bolt pistol officers are both quite usefull and you can guarantee in any guard army you will almost always be using at least 2 officers. And if you dont like em? Hey, its just two models.. no big deal! :)

·
Registered
207 Posts
hahahahah yep that wounded guy really is funny, good suggestion too, however I was just wondering why the powerfister wouldn't be useful?

·
646 Posts
Y2K said:
hahahahah yep that wounded guy really is funny, good suggestion too, however I was just wondering why the powerfister wouldn't be useful?
To be honest, guard just suck too much in CC to justify 20pts worth of Powerfist. Ok, it makes you marginaly better, but is it really worth the cost of 2 plasmaguns?

·
Registered
552 Posts
IG powerfists suck because you can't hide them like marines can and, if that wasn't bad enough, you can't instakill anything with them either, except for other Guardsmen.

·
Master of Those Damn Durable Swords
646 Posts
Wait I thought you could hide a PF. I keep reading threads where one tactic is to have like a mass of conscripts with a Commissar in their ranks to weild a Hidden PF or a line PLT where the LT carries one to pop up outta nowhere...this is what I've been hearing mind you.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Xethemez pretty much nailed why powerfists suck for IG. All you have to do is look at the stats on our poor boys to see that 20pts on a Pfist is almost never going to useful. So you're getting a strength 6 hit on an opponent? Oh.. your whole squad was wiped out before you could strike... dear me... So yeah, 2 plasma guns is always going to be better than a powerfist whn carried by IG.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Xethemez said:
To be honest, guard just suck too much in CC to justify 20pts worth of Powerfist. Ok, it makes you marginaly better, but is it really worth the cost of 2 plasmaguns?
im not dissagreeing with you there, but a power fist and a MEDIC won me a game one time just fyi.

·
646 Posts
koth31 said:
im not dissagreeing with you there, but a power fist and a MEDIC won me a game one time just fyi.
I once won the game by shooting a Wraithlord with 3 snipers and actualy taking it down. But it still dosen't make snipers a good unit or a dependable tactic.

In the vast majority of situations, neither a medic nor a powerfist will do you any good!

·
Registered
182 Posts
Powerfists aren't always horrible... Hardened Veteran Sergeants can take officer-only items, and he has 2 base attacks. Give his squad meltaguns, LP & CCW, and he himself an additional CCW (plus Hardened Fighters doctrine) and you can do a little bit of damage, even against marines. I gave one of my HV sgts that load out plus the honorifica and he and his squad took out 5 assault marines and a chaplain. Granted I lost all but the sgt, but still... the look on my roommate's face was worth it :)

Point is, they're mostly a waste, but if you have a specific idea in mind they can be very helpful!

·
Registered
552 Posts
I just can't bring myself to do that to the Guard. You burn a lot of doctrines and buy a lot of wargear and end up with an army that's still inferior to any true CC force. Tyranid, Marines, Chaos Marines, Dark Eldar, Orks, and some Eldar lists will still eat hardened, warrior-weaponed, powerfisted, close-order-drilled Guardsmen by the squad. All this does is turn a slight CC superiority over Tau to a clear CC superiority over Tau.

The best way to make a Guard list CC-viable is to buy them some flamers and position them for counterassaults.

·
Registered
182 Posts
IGFreely said:
I just can't bring myself to do that to the Guard. You burn a lot of doctrines and buy a lot of wargear and end up with an army that's still inferior to any true CC force. Tyranid, Marines, Chaos Marines, Dark Eldar, Orks, and some Eldar lists will still eat hardened, warrior-weaponed, powerfisted, close-order-drilled Guardsmen by the squad. All this does is turn a slight CC superiority over Tau to a clear CC superiority over Tau.

The best way to make a Guard list CC-viable is to buy them some flamers and position them for counterassaults.

The only doctrine I used was Hardened Fighters... COD doesn't apply to Veterans, and vets automatically have the option to take LPs & CCWs... they don't need warrior weapons to do so.

I do agree that it's a costly way of making yourself slightly less than equal to a marine, and I'm not suggesting one uses this sort of idea for serious competition... sometimes you can get the jump on your opponent in a friendly game by pulling stunts like this!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts