Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just want to run a few ideas by you guys:

1. 8 Sternguard with 2 Heavy Flamers 4 Combi-meltas (drop pod)?
2. Command Squad with 4 Plasma Guns/Pistols, 4 Storm Shields (drop pod)?
3. Command Squad with 1 Champion, 2 Flamers, 1 PF, 3 Storm Shields (drop pod)?
4. 8 Vanguards with 4 plasma pistols, 3 Storm Shields, Sgt with Storm Shield (drop pod)?

What's your take on those options?

I'm creating a drop pod ultramarine-based company (part of my "Seraphs of Jericho" chapter), no vehicles, no dreads, no termies, no bikes.
I may use Sicarius or Telion or both

Appreciate your comments. Thanks

·
Registered
143 Posts
If it was me, I'd definitely go with the first Sternguard option. Nice and cheap, got more bodies than a command squad, and capable of pretty much ripping up what they shoot at.

Depends on how big your force is though, if it was usual 1,500 points, I'd still go with option 1, but in bigger (maybe 2,500+) I'd consider the command squad.. most likely option 2 with all pistols (cos my captain is my company's champion dammit >:3). Hehe that's my take on it anyway :p

·
Lord of Shadows
603 Posts
1. 8 Sternguard with 2 Heavy Flamers 4 Combi-meltas (drop pod)?
A very nice unit. I've run something similar to this attached to a libby with Gate and Avenger from a drop pod. Very able unit when kept in rapid fire range and using Gate to get them back out of CC. Cheap-ish too

2. Command Squad with 4 Plasma Guns/Pistols, 4 Storm Shields (drop pod)?
Quite expensive mate. 2000point+ games might see this work, however you may find that shooty armys will rip this squad to bits through sheer number of shots or some unlucky gets-hot rolls will do more harm than good. Good at destroying termie-equivelents though. Drop-podding this squad would quickly see them taking hits. Keep them as a support option to another squad?

3. Command Squad with 1 Champion, 2 Flamers, 1 PF, 3 Storm Shields (drop pod)?
They have the potential to do pretty well in close combat, and drop-podding them could work out to your advantage, however they may well get slaughtered the round they arrive...
Use as a counter-charge unit perhaps?

4. 8 Vanguards with 4 plasma pistols, 3 Storm Shields, Sgt with Storm Shield (drop pod)?
At a glance, i think this squad is the most expensive of them all so far, and the least usable. Vanguard are expensive to start with, so you need to get your points worth of kills in as fast as possible. Heroic intervention has its chances, but it's not guaranteed to get you into CC fast. Yes, i know the storm shields might help there, but then you're loosing 4attacks. When capable of doing 24 attacks on the charge with 2xCCW's, loosing 4 is a big hit!
I would re-think this unit and focus on what the squad really is designed to bring to the fight.

HTH

CR

·
....coookies...
1,753 Posts
Don't stop at eight.

Don't stop at eight. A key strength of Sternguard is their combat squads special rule. You really would be missing out if you left this unit at eight strong. Those two extra guys would allow you to split your fire power if you need to or focus it. Having the choice can be invaluable. I'm not hugely sure as to why you would want the HFs but they are decent weapons, so why not?

·
Lord of Shadows
603 Posts
I'm not hugely sure as to why you would want the HFs but they are decent weapons, so why not?
Horde destroying =)
seriously, the AP value on those heavy flamers really does make a difference against horde armies.
anything MEQ or better and its a bit of a waste, though still good for putting wounds on HQ retinues/etc.

I highly recomend HF's on sternguard. They are assault weapons too! =)

CR

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the response guys.

I'm a bit of a noob in listmaking, although I have been reading GW materials for years now, never got to play tabletop yet (I have played Dawn of War to death, though). And though I am familiar with the strategies of the play, never tried it IRL. This would be my first attempt at listmaking, before I decide to do gaming.

I would appreciate some more opinions supporting or contradicting the ideas presented so it would help me evaluate the probable composition of my company.

I'm leaning towards the Sternguard, and it seems most definitely it would be included, maybe with a modification of including a Power Fist, Power Weapon or Lightning Claw in the Sergeant (undecided yet - maybe some help?). But I was thinking of including one of the other choices other than the Sternguards, if feasible or maybe some other alternative configurations.

To give you guys an idea, my units would be based on the following:

Captain (or Sicarius?)
Librarian
Tacticals (of course, not sure how many units yet)
Scouts (1 with heavy bolter, 1 with ML, Telion would be a squad)
Devastators
Thunderfire (?) - still thinking about this one.
And then some of the options listed on my main post.

All drop pods, absolutely no vehicles, bikes, or termies. The idea is a light infantry that theoretically would be the advance company of a chapter, or a unit that would drop behind enemy lines capable of taking on all comers and wait for other supporting companies to make contact.

I'll be making lists of 500, 1000, 1500, 2000 and 2500 where all the units in the smaller points are included as they are in the bigger lists.

Thanks guys...

·
991 Posts
I like your first option the best. I like your second option the least. I do not ever like to give plasma weapons to marines with other expensive upgrades. That sgt with a power fist, or that veteran with a storm shield for example. I hate having my guys kill themselves because I can't roll a frickin' 3!!!

I agree that it is worth it to bump your numbers up to 10 so they can split their fire. Another benefit is now those 10 guys are 2 separate units when it comes to recieving fire as well. That will help you.

I am leery about Vanguard Vets because they are so dang expensive (especially with jump packs) and I think the way to use them is to take advantage of their assaultiness and just look at their shooting as a nice side benefit. I would not give them any fancy guns. Give the Sgt a power weapon (or relic blade) and maybe one or two more power weapons.

Welcome to the game. The table top game is SOOOO much fun, but so is the planning of lists, modeling, and painting. In my area, the best thing though, is the 40K community and the friends I have made because of this great game!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts