Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
If i give a space marine comander a power weapon AND a power fist, what are the general rules for this in combat? Can i choose which to use each turn, do i gain +1 attack for having two weapons?

Thanks

·
Advocatus Diaboli
4,571 Posts
You gain the attack, but as you say, you have to choose which weapon you're actually using in each round of combat. You can't divide attacks between them.

·
Sparta!
1,438 Posts
You gain the attack, but as you say, you have to choose which weapon you're actually using in each round of combat. You can't divide attacks between them.
To clarify a bit further, you have to choose what weapon you use each combat not round of combat (i.e. you are charged by Unit X and opt to use the power fist. You must continue using this fist untill you are no longer in combat before being able to use the sword.)

·
Registered
5,129 Posts
You must continue using this fist untill you are no longer in combat before being able to use the sword.)
IIRC that is not true Thomo, you are allowed to choose which weapon you want to fight with in each round of combat. So if your commander charges or is charged, he can fight with the power weapon or powerfist (having to choose one or the other before anything more is done), and next turn, if that enemy is not wiped out he may switch over to the other weapon if you so want him to.

·
Sparta!
1,438 Posts
Really? Where abouts in the rulebook is that? (I'm not saying your wrong, just so I can go check it). The way we always play is that you are stuck with the one particular weapon for the duration of that combat - just like Fantasy (although this could be a tie-over from that).

·
Dark Eldar Zealot
3,699 Posts
Hi,
As far as I can tell it just says generically only one type of special close combat attack can be used but you have the choice as to which one to use (page 46 BGB).

So if you have 'choice' here, logically you can choose a particular attack per player turn as each round of combat starts and finishes with those turns.

Cheers.

·
Registered
281 Posts
The fun comes when you attach a powerfist on a jump-pack chaplain. Now you have a tank and infantry killer when you need to choose. Against T3 models the Crozius will suffice, but against T4+ creatures the powerfist is the way to go.

Also, all that rolling a 6 to hit skimmers doesn't scare you so much (since you always charge them, you can reroll).

I once took out a Monolith with my Chaplain assaulting it, one of the more fun moments I've had hehe :D

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
I once took out a Monolith with my Chaplain assaulting it, one of the more fun moments I've had hehe :D
Uh-oh, you shouldn't have said that! Now the RAW thought police are going to haul you away for not using your model's base strength against the Monolith =P.

-H

·
Fun guy from Yuggoth
772 Posts
Uh-oh, you shouldn't have said that! Now the RAW thought police are going to haul you away for not using your model's base strength against the Monolith =P.

-H
Unfortunately, Malaysia is outside of our jurisdiction. You're safe this time, Firaya!

·
Registered
281 Posts
Hehe, humour aside, does the Living Metal rule also negate powerfist bonuses? Cause if it does then we've been doing something majorly wrong ;o

·
The Fallen
7,745 Posts
even side stepping the lith issue, it isnt wise to use the PF on a chappy against T4 models as it tends to allow reasonable opponents to hit first and they can target the chappy as an IC, much better to reserve the PF for the vet sgt

·
725 Posts

·
860 Posts
Neither the 40k main rulebook, nor its FAQ qualifies whether you can choose which Special Weapon to use each round, or whether you can't choose and are therefore only able to have one Special Weapon's abilities for the whole of a melee.

That being so, I see no reason that a figure can not choose which weapon to 'lead' with, during each round of Assault; and as it has been noted, 40k is not WFB.

From a 'realistic' point of view, the reason why some troops carried multiple close combat weapons into battle, was to use specific weapon types against specific types of opponent. For example: a mace against an armoured foe, then a blade against an unarmoured foe.

We all know that 40k is not intended to be 'realistic', but I think that changing weapons each round is valid, and does not break any rules.

Lord Ramon.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.