Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Another bright idea: reviving the old (second edition?) idea of the Imperial 'advisor' to Blood Axe orks. That is, a commissar attached to the HQ of a Blood Axe Ork army, influencing the Warboss in ways that suit the Imperium. It would probably be a a good idea if he was accompanied by a bodyguard of a few Ogryn.

The only reason I suggest this is that I converted a few plastic ogres to Ogryn a couple of years ago and want to field them with the only army I play regularly, Waaagh Grabba.

I think that this would only be feasible in an Apocalypse game, where army organisation is a lot more fluid. Then the Waaagh could fight pretty much any enemy, except possibly loyal Imperials. (Even then you could blame it on Chaos.)

No special abilities for the Commissar, just his Ld and the Ogryns to act as stoic body armour. I don't even know that this would provide any major advantage to the Ork army in game terms. It just sounds like fun.

Ideally the commissar model would be one of the old GW or recent Forgeworld commissars with a gas mask. Perhaps an Adeptus Mechanicus Translator Device should be modelled on our gallant liaison officer. The Ogryns should already be fairly fluent in all the main methods of Ork communication, ie: shouting, pointing, chucking things and thumping someone.

Can anyone think of any problems/issues/funny ideas with this?

Thanks for any input,
cheers,
TOMB
(My Blog)

·
Registered
219 Posts
Hells Yeah!
Maybe basic commissar that is fearless he lives with orks for spaghettis sake and then give the strategic deploymant asset for one Ork unit within 12 inches every turn but with like a animosity test cuz da boyz don't like takin orderz from da humies

Reactions: TargetOnMyBack

·
Registered
370 Posts
Hi all.
I think the OP idea is exellent!
Possibly the advisor means that any IG based' Looted Wagonz ,' dont suffer from the' Dont press dat' , special rule?

Maybe put the IA in a chimera for transport?

Over all Cool Idea , I like it lots...

·
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think the Commissar's role would be more tactical - advising the Warboss on deployment, use of reserves, etc. This would only apply to a Bloodaxe army, as they are well known to be untrustworthy gits, who have traded with and even imitated the Humies.

However, even though Bloodaxe orks love camouflage uniformsand un-orky tactics like sneaking around the back of an enemy position rather than yelling WAAAGH!! and charging, it would take a lot to convince a Mekboss that his "modifications'' needed rethinking...

What you suggest has merit, though. Perhaps one vehicle in the army, or every vehicle that is clearly a looted IG model?

Cheers,
TOMB
(My Blog)

·
Registered
370 Posts
Hi.
I guess I view Mek work differently.They get 'da wagon runnin proper'.
Its 'da duff umi jobs' that cause 'Dont press dat' special rules.

So an advisor can help the Mek chuck out all the 'dodgy 'umi bitz.'(Redundant systems that may interfere with ork sub sytems.)8Y

Human advisors would only be available if the Blood Axes are NOT fighting loyalist Imperium forces.
The Advisors increase the Strategy Rating of the Blood Axes by 1 when fighting non loyalist imperial forces.;)

I guess Blood Axes would extensivley loot IG vehicles and weapons.(Proper military wiv camoflage an everthin'.)

Just some ideas for you to concider, its your project after all!;Y

·
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Here's the way I see it happening:

The Ordo Xenos has determined that a particulary dangerous Waaagh can be prevented if Warbosses can be convinced to continue fighting each other rather than joining forces under command of the biggest, meanest Boss (as is traditional). This is a risky proposition as continuous fighting also makes for meaner, more effective orks.

A commissar is selected for his tactical skill and experience with the green scum (and he probably isn't too popular with the rest of his regiment; I am thinking a Ciaphas Cain sort of fellow). He is given a bodyguard of Ogryn, due to their natural abilities regarding Ork communication, as I mentioned above.

The commissar and his new friends are sent to an outpost world to make contact with a Bloodaxe warband. It is known that Bloodaxe orks are the only ones who would even consider letting a humie approach them - after all, there are records of orks imitating and even trading with human settlements.

The question is, just how do humans make contact with orks, without simply slaughtering each other? In the trading example, both sides would have to have been desperate, and must have had a peculiar balance of defensive strength and desirable resources, otherwise they would have just destroyed each other. Perhaps a warp storm on a desert world, GorkaMorka style. Maybe the Commissar is accompanied by a psyker and uses him to get inside the head of a Weirdboy. Or, the Commissar's crew wait until they can isolate an ork scouting party and slaughter them, leaving one survivor. Either way the message is something like:

"Boss... some humies is coming and da little one in da fancy hat 'as got some good ideas for 'ow you can smack da green off Warboss Slasha."

The commissar now enters the ork camp. He and his ogryn are immediately set upon by a small number of orks, because the Warboss isn't stupid and wants to see either a) how the commissar handles himself, or b) some dead humie heads on spikes, especially the one in the fancy hat. With any luck, result a) happens, and the commissar begins the process of gaining the Warboss' trust. In fluff terms this may take months or years, but a few pieces of tactical advice, perhaps backed by satellite intelligence or psychic predictions, go a long way to making the commissar Da Cheef Advizer on 'Umie Affairs.

Result - BloodAxe warboss becomes a regional power, but never gains enough success to start - or join - a full blown Waaagh.

Whether the Commissar's abilities extend to Chimera Modification and Maintenance, depends on whether you think that he has picked up a few useful skills in his time in mechanised IG regiments (and the sort of resourceful character this guy would have to be makes that feasible). The alternative is that the holy rituals of operating and maintaining imperial equipment don't gel nicely with the borderline insane mechanical and psychic individuality that Mekboys put into their contraptions. I lean towards the latter and I think that while a particularly imaginative IG motorpool mechanic might have an understanding of just what pipe is going where, an Adeptus Mechanicus techpriest would have a fit at what had been inflicted on the gifts of the most holy STC.

Now that I think about it, there is a potentially rich story here for the WH40K RPG. Characters could include:

- Commissar
- Ordo Xenos expert on Orks
- Psyker for communicating with Weirdboys
- IG mechanic with far too much curiosity and imagination
- Ogryn Bonehead and his hefty mates

NPCs:
- Commissar's higher command (so pleased he volunteers for the mission and gets out of their way)
- Human outpost leadership and traders
- Sundry IG or local military ne'er-do-wells to act as reconnaissance parties/body armour
- Warboss
- Weirdboy
- Mekboss who doesn't like humies touching his fings
- Sneaky git ork second-in-command who wants the big guy's job
- Enemies to fight! Waaagh!

Cheers,
TOMB
(My Blog)

·
Registered
370 Posts
Hi there.
Great stuff .
I always assumed that Human advisors are to keep the Blood Axes as the 'indirect intervention' if the Imperium.
They are used to dissapte Waaaghs before they become too big, and help dilute other Xenos threats.

If the Human Advisor is ' directing part of the Xenos threat against itself' he is still serving the Empiruim of Man, just not in a direct way.

(In the old fluff, Blood Axes could use 'stock' Rhinos and Landraiders,in the EPIC rule anyway.)
So Blood Axes get WORKING IG vehicles as well as salvaged ones .So the Meks have a full understanding of how IG vehicles work?(So NO Dont press Dat for IG vehicles?)

So perhaps if the Human advisor was accompanied by abhumans , Ogryns , Ratlings and semi mutants etc.
The Commisar leads a rag tag bunch of misfits and conscripts (ALA Last Chancers).

Just some more ideas for you to think over....

·
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I can just imagine that the Imperial hierarchy would consider this a suicide mission, or at least find the idea of 'dealing with' the Xenos extremely distasteful. So this would definitely be a job for the cliche'd team of rag-tag misfits. It's been done so many times before - but it's the staple for action movies and roleplaying games everywhere.

Cheers,
TOMB
(My Blog)

·
Registered
314 Posts
Damn you all!!! Now I've gotta buy Orks and try this! hahaha ;)

I've always wanted an Ork army, but never wanted to invest the cash into a full blown Ork force but seeing how I can maybe add them to my IG for apocalypse and have a small combat patrol of orks at the same time...

great stuff!

·
Formerly BrotherAzriel
2,373 Posts
A commissar is selected for his tactical skill and experience with the green scum (and he probably isn't too popular with the rest of his regiment; I am thinking a Ciaphas Cain sort of fellow). He is given a bodyguard of Ogryn, due to their natural abilities regarding Ork communication, as I mentioned above.

(My Blog)

Ciaphas Cain is VERY well liked by his regiment, they love him, he is like a hero to them!

on the other hand, i like all of targets suggestions, sounds good.

·
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have just started reading the omnibus edition of the Cain novels, and I now agree - he has contrived to make himself a likeable sort of chap. However, my original point stands - this is a job for an unpopular commissar. One who has the full support of his regiment and the Commissariat on this highly dangerous and very worthwhile suicide... I mean special mission.
Cheers,
TOMB
(My Blog)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts