Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, the title states it clearly.

Do you think commissars are worth their points ?

Maybe depending on the use you make of them :
Is it for their high leadership ?
Is it for their shooting/h2h power ?

Personnaly, I was before quite in favor of commissars, but I'm thinking of changing my mind.
If it's for the leadership, then better take a radio.
As for shooting or h2h capabilities. I'm not convinced they are the bests, better take (more) ogryns or (more snipers), they are both cheaper.

The only one I could take would be the one with the gauntlet and give him a plasma pistol to join a h2h-oriented HQ platoon.

Another con, is that in the new codex the commissars lost 1 attack (2 instead of 3)

Reactions ?

·
Son of LO
2,160 Posts
Commissar's blow. They sucked in the old edition and they suck more in the new edition because they now have one less attack for the same amount of points. Also, you still can't put them anywhere you want them, and to do so costs you a doctrine point AND the commissar himself costs 10 more points.
Get a master vox units and give all your platoons vox's. It's a much better investment for one point of LD.

·
Registered
696 Posts
wow never saw it that way. Plus they kill your psyker if they fail there LD with "its for there own good"

·
Registered
62 Posts
i'm sorry, i have to disagree

for goodness sake, they increase their officers leadership by 1!!

they're awesome, they always have been, and they always will be, they're cheap, effective, and well worth their drawbacks, a must have in any IG army

·
Registered
696 Posts
well i guess its up to the player really. There are jsut somethings in life and in 40k(sounds corny doesnt it?) where its up to you to see whats good and whats bad.

·
Son of LO
2,160 Posts
Ok, the best save they can have is 4+/5+, which blows. Their weapon skill and ballistic skill, for a character, sucks. Their ST sucks, even with a powerfist. Their toughness sucks.
That one point of LD that everyone thinks is so great actually blows cause it can only be used for the unit that he's in and you can't put him in any unit you want.
Commissars: boooooo
4 squads with sharpshooter doctrine for the same cost: yayyyyyy
The look on your opponents face every time you pick up a handful of one's and reroll them: priceless

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I must say, I'm quite inclined to share the same view as Hourglass, he stated convincing arguments

But like so else said, it's up to every general to see what's best to support his strategy.

as far as I am concerned, my commissars will retire from service :)

Kryss

·
Registered
31 Posts
I just don't like 'em, never have and never will.

Primarily coz they excecute my lovingly fluffed officers with alarming regularity.

And for 40 pts (i think?) you could take a standard bearer and a couple of sanctioned psychers....

·
Professional Lurker
2,085 Posts
H0urg1ass what are you basing your Characteriness on the commissar is one of the best dudes in a guard army, in the last game i played my commissar even took down a wolflord in closecombat, plus they dont use any choices on the force org chart giving you room for the horrifying deathwatch kill team

·
Son of LO
2,160 Posts
All I'm saying is this: The commissars stats really aren't that good. In fact, against characters for other armies, practically any army, they blow. He's just not very close combat effective, although, with some luck you may take out something in your opponents army, but don't sell the farm for him.
His only redeeming value (The plus 1 LD) is not all that redeeming because he only gives it to the command squad, and it doesn't transfer through your vox to other squads. To have him give that LD to anything but the command squad, you have to spend a doctrine point and another +10 points for him. At this point he's already 50 points.
THEN, to make him combat effective you have to upgrade him with better armor and weapons. Give him a plasma pistol and powerfist (Cause, face it, ST 3 aint gonna be wounding much) and he's jumped up to 80 points. But wait, there's more, his armor save blows too, so now you need to upgrade him with carapace armor (So those bolters don't just punch right through), medallion crimson (So all of those heavy weapons don't take him out in the first shot) and a refractor field (So you can at least have a little chance against heavy weapons). Now you've just dumped 35 more points into him.
At this point you have an 115 point character, who still sucks in comparison to the 40 point Wolf Guard Terminator (With NO upgrades, mind you) that is staring him down. Oh yeah, GW kept his cost the same and dropped one of his attacks, so good luck getting me to buy another one.
For 10 more points you can have a Basilisk with indirect fire. Pie Templates of doom do NOT suck. :)

·
Registered
311 Posts
Hourglass is 100% correct. Though i find with just a power weapon they can be 'kind of' good ( not quite requiring buffing to 115 :) ), their summary execution rule is bad news in a command HQ with an expensive officer and in no way worth the points spent.

·
Registered
696 Posts
well with a standard(if he is in the HQ squad) and plus 1 whats the chances of you losing. I say you just use gaunt. He does have the rules of a commissars but way worth the points.

·
Registered
60 Posts
consider this, a colonel, commisar w/ power fist and a priest with eviscerator. they have hardened veterans. the com and colonel hit on 3's against most targets, and they reroll misses against stuff cauze priest. ive tried it, killed an entire squad of 8 bezerker termis in one turn with them.

·
Registered
696 Posts
thats two other units helping and that an amazing feat by the way. With Gaunt you get +2 to your charge.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I really like Commissars. Sure their stat-line is not all that impressive, but it is good for Guard. I use them in my HQ and all my command sections in my troops, and they have not failed me yet. I have only executed an officer once or twice, and they were only while using the old codex. I give the one in my HQ a powerfist, and the ones in my command sections I give power weapons. I've said it before (in other posts), but the guy at my gaming group who plays Necrons has really come to hate my Commissars, because they just wreck his guys. I have gotten the Hardened Fighters doctrine (From Death Korps, w00t!), and that is incredibly valuable in a command section. I managed to drop 5 terminators in an assault with my officer and commissar, to no losses in return, though my officer was hit with a thunder hammer and saved on his refractor.

(Note: I was also not aware of the reduction in attacks on my Commissars. Wow.)

They increase my officer's leadership to 10 just for himself, and with a standard bearer I have a re-roll on that, and if he does manage to fail, and my officer is shot, the squad just stays under control. That's great, rather than having to do another check all over again. I think that commissars have gotten a little worse in hand to hand in the new codex, but their leadership bonuses are much better. I like them, and I will continue to use them.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I never play in a 1500 pt game without my 3 Commisars. That's right, 3. Now that they add 1 to L, and can be independant, they are even better. And since Officer Gear is limited, they are useful in that regard. A S6 Powerfist isn't bad. Not bad at all. Except against a Wraithlord... But that's what guns are for.

·
Son of LO
2,160 Posts
Ahem, a roving ST 6 powerfist for at least 4.6 times the cost of a ST 7 Autocannon with the same amount of hits... is....ummm...sorta dumb... heh. Oh yeah, they add 1 the leadership of 4 guys (big whoop) unless you pay another 10 points to put them where you want them and even then just one tricked out commissar (see earlier post by me) costs more than a colonel with master vox and a vox in all your squads, which is the same LD yer gonna get from putting ONE commissar somewhere.
Heavy weapons, Heavy weapons, Heavy weapons.... I'm starting to sound like a broken record. But, hey, don't take my advice, I'm just the #1 ranking player in the city I live in. :)

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.