Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my last game I had a catapult on a thin but long hill.

I was wondering where to put a 10unit screen of screening archers - obviously on the hill to get best shooting and in front of SSC to stop a charge.
Asked my opponent if they would block the catapult shooting if I put them in front of the SSC - he said no it's fine, the SSC can see over the top of them.

My understanding was that the SSC couldn't see over another unit on a hill - but as it was to my advantage I went with his ruling :)

However I am still not sure and I don't want to be caught out in the comp and have to put them somewhere else, I'd rather use 2 Swarm as protection, as they are Small and don't block line of sight.

Does anyone know if the archers on the same hill as the SSC block it's LOS?

Cheers

·
High Priest of LO
1,928 Posts
It depends on the situation :) I have tried to illustrate it with a few pictures (made in paint, so they're not that pretty - but I hope they'll make it easier to understand)... I know the scales aren't correct, so please don't bother that one ;)

Blue color is opponent. Black color is terrain. Green color is ours. Red color has to do with explanations or LoS.

Now we see that the LoS here is blocked. The unit behind the other one on the hill do not see the enemy unit far from the hill.

Hills can be at different levels. If the unit behind the other one is standing one level higher, it can draw LoS over that unit. In this case, it CAN see the enemy unit.

What really IS the problem is that it's (many is here, don't you think :p) actually impossible to tell you a permanent rule for this kind of problem. If the enemy unit is a Large Target, there are great chances that it will be easily spotted even by units behind other units.

The best solution to solve this problem is to be realistic. Look at the battlefield from your models eyes, and you'll see what they see. Don't take this as an excuse to cheats, but it might solve the PROBLEMS when it comes to LoS. In the last picture, I wrote: Be their eyes! Here's the illustration for it.

Is there anything more you want to ask, be sure to check out the "Ask Nagash" thread :)

//Naggy

·
859 Posts
If those were the diagrams on the Black Pyramid I would be hella impressed :)

·
i am da Wahhchief
2,419 Posts
that blue water elemental/large target is SO going to fall over!

and then you wont have line of sight on that one either

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Great diagrams - thanks. I had a nagging doubt about putting archers directly in front of a catapult - now I'm convinced I can't do it with the hills my club has.

You really needed to write your name in wax crayon on the bottom of the pics for that authentic feel :)

·
High Priest of LO
1,928 Posts
You really needed to write your name in wax crayon on the bottom of the pics for that authentic feel :)
Ehummm :p I was convinced that I should post it as soon as I finished the pics, not putting the answer to a delay... If I would have put more effort to the whole thing, I:

1. Wouldn't have used paint. I would have painted it myself
2. Yes, write my name to the right of the bottom on the pics for that "authentic feel" - HAHAHA :D

//Nagash

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
~shrug~

Put the archers at the bottom of the hill...they're only 10, right? A unit of 20 would want to be on the hill for 2x10 shooting tastiness, but a single rank of 10? They don't need the hill! I do like the thought of the swarm as speedbump in front of the catapult, though!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts