Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Savage Orc Great Shaman: Lucky Shrunken Head; Fencer's Blades; Level 4 Wizard

Night Goblin Big Boss: Battle Standard
Night Goblin Shaman: Dispel Scroll
Savage Orc Big Boss: Sword of Striking; Obsidian Trinket
Black Orc Big Boss: Ogre Blade

37 Savage Orc Big 'Uns: additional hand weapons; Savage Orc Boss; Musician; Standard Bearer
20 Night Goblins: short bows; Netters; Night Goblin Boss; Musician; Standard Bearer
5 Goblin Wolf Riders: short bows

40 Black Orcs: War Banner; shields; Black Orc Boss; Musician; Standard Bearer

Goblin Rock Lobber
Goblin Rock Lobber
Doom Diver Catapult
Doom Diver Catapult
Mangler Squigs
Mangler Squigs

Shaman, savage boss and black orc boss go in with the savages
The BSB and goblin shaman go in with the night goblins

Basically I have two big combat block which will hopefully stay in range of my BSB incase of any leadership test I may need to and will be backed up by an orcy gun line

So what do you guys and gals think any advice

·
Fanatic
882 Posts
The black orc and goblin characters have no ward saves of any kind, they will die to being singled out. Also a bunker for a BSB? why don't you drop him and plonk the BSB on the Savage big boss, he will have T5 and a ward. I would also go for spears and shields on the wolfs, they can take a bit of damage and still hunt war machines this way. Also careful with the manglers, once they move around in a random way they could get in the way of your main units.

·
Drill Sergeant
10,215 Posts
Comments in blue!

Savage Orc Great Shaman: Lucky Shrunken Head; Fencer's Blades; Level 4 Wizard

Night Goblin Big Boss: Battle Standard
Why not grab this guy a Shield or something for a cheap 6+ Ward?

Night Goblin Shaman: Dispel Scroll

Savage Orc Big Boss: Sword of Striking; Obsidian Trinket
Black Orc Big Boss: Ogre Blade

Both of these Orc characters need some work to be honest. What do they want to achieve? The sword of striking is cool but you're only str4/5 and that doesn't really do much. The Black Orc, lets face it, you're Initiative 3 so you're going to strike last against pretty much everything. In this case, why not just keep smacking things with your free great weapon and save some points? Or, just ditch both of them in favour of adding more bodies to your units? If you want someone to protect your Shaman from a challenge then grab a Save Orc Big boss with the armour of silvered steel and a great weapon. He'll be rocking a 2+/5++ and can smack things at str6/7. The luckstone would be a good little buy as well if you have points left over.

37 Savage Orc Big 'Uns: additional hand weapons; Savage Orc Boss; Musician; Standard Bearer

Good, not sure the Boss is needed though.

20 Night Goblins: short bows; Netters; Night Goblin Boss; Musician; Standard Bearer

Why the champion? If someone challenges either of the goblin heroes, just refuse and get sent to the back? If you refuse, and you have a champion, then your opponent will simply send the champion to the back and smack your heroes.

See if you can add spears to these. I'd also grab these guys a Musician.

40 Black Orcs: War Banner; shields; Black Orc Boss; Musician; Standard Bearer

Why the War Banner? Why not the banner of discipline or the Banner of Eternal Flame or something?

Goblin Rock Lobber
Goblin Rock Lobber
Doom Diver Catapult
Doom Diver Catapult
Mangler Squigs
Mangler Squigs

The list looks fine, with no glaring weaknesses. How are you intending on running your Save Orcs? As a horde or something else?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was gonna run both units in horde
You r advice was very constructive and I shall rejigger the heroes and drop some of he pointless upgrade, a lot of the magic weapon were put in to stop ethereal units that may ruin my day

·
Drill Sergeant
10,215 Posts
Ethereal units are a complete git for us to deal with to be honest. We don't have any decent magic missiles to kill them and not units with magical attacks. So, your best bet is to grab some cheap heroes with Magic weapons. Maybe a couple of wolf rider heroes with magic weapons or something similar? Perhaps even a Giant squigg riding big boss with Magic weapon (Random movement is great for killing ethereal units who like flying over you).

Seeing as most Ethereal units are skirmisher types (like Hosts, wraiths etc) then they're unlikely to charge a block unit (they'll probably loose to SCR). Still, if you have points left over a 5/10pt magic weapon on a hero could be a safe bet.

As for running your units in a horde, hordes are dodgy to be honest. Sure, you get more attacks but you lose a lot of mobility. Add on to that you have problems getting your support units into position to help out and you open yourself up to multiple charges from your opponent. Hordes can be nasty, don't get me wrong, just keep your options open and if you think a horde is unwise, don't use one.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts