Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Formerly C/-Rt3r
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all i just got an kewl idea for a scenery board that would make it storable and portable. The plan is to make the board in three sections. The board me and my mate are making is gonna be 4'x5' so the sections will be 2 4'x2' pieces and 1 1'x4'. The two large sections are on hinges that are attached to another board underneath so that they can fold up like a ping pong table. Then there will be another piece of wood at the top that is connected to one side with a hinge and latches on to the other. This top piece has a handle and it can be made into a miniature storage case so you can take a board an minis all at one time. The middle section will just be layed in once the table is unfolded. Your gonna have to use a light board though considering that it will be heavy. And i am only fiddling around with the middle piece because the boarc is gonna have a layer of foam on it. If you just planed to flock the board as is you could probaly just hinge the two halves together. But then it would be like a trianlge instead of a breif case type thing. Well anyway were gonna start most likely next weekend or so. I will post pics of all the stages so yall can see. I think it is a great idea. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
25 Posts
It's going to be heavy, no matter what thickness of board you use. I have a couple of suggestions that might help you:

1) Instead of a briefcase-style handle in the middle of your 'box', give some thought to a handle at either end, so two blokes can carry it comfortably together, the way you might carry a large esky (coolbox) to a barbecue.

2) Consider sliding hinges, like many kit kitchens have for the cupboard doors. These have enough play so the board can be laid flat and snugged up together, while also being able to be slid out so you can close the hinge without damaging the built-up surface of the board.

3) If you go with my first point above, and accept that it's just going to be a heavy, 2-man job to carry, consider building that third board in to the project. If you find/use the hinges I'm talking about in my second point, you can lock them on the 2' sections so that they won't move, and let them slide on the middle section, so you can always lift the ends up without having them crashing down on the centre section (this is so difficult to describe without pictures!)

4) Whatever you do, good luck!

·
Formerly C/-Rt3r
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Aye, ty for replying (LoL) It is gonna be quite heavy but all the materials we are using are quite light so it shouldnt be so bad. I have held all the wood frame pieces/ board pieces(at the store) to see how heavy it was and it was around 30lb. which isnt bad at all. The paint glue/flock/foam cant be too heavy.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Whoot! Ya ya were gonna do this homie.:w00t:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts