Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right, first of, I'm not a fan of "what army should I collect" topics, and this is not what I'm asking for.
What I am asking for is a different perspective.

Last year or so I started a Warriors of Chaos army in the excitement of the new models and book. Sadly they didn't do it for me as they did in 5th, so I never really started to paint them (they were a party to convert tho). I might sell them, but I'm not sure yet.

So with the winter coming in, I'd like to start a different army!
I have a (almost) fully painted WE army and that one is still my favourite, but I like something new every once in a wile.

The main requirements of the army is that they can be painted to look nice without to much effort (I know I know, blasphemy, but I just don't have much time and I want results fast so that I stay excited).
I really want to give this "dipping" a try.

I wanted a skaven army but gave up due to the unholy amount of painting hours I'd have to spend to get it halfway decent. So I looked further, and came to Lizardmen, the army that lends itself to dipping pour sang.

Then I started to thing further, I saw a BEAUTIFUL DE dipped army on a tourny last year, so DE are also an option.

Daemons, could work, but they don't leave much room for individuality (I read this sentence on the forum 5 mins ago and it sums up my "feeling" about the army perfectly).

VC would work also, Oh did I mention I'd like to be able to field a somewhat competitive army? Not that I always want to win, but I want to do decent on tournaments sometimes.

This brings me back to Lizardmen, I really love the models, except for all saurus models.
I can't begin to describe how much I thing GW failed there. So I would go skink heavy and pick all the cool models, probably a Slann (I can live with 1 regiment of TG, they've got them big ol' helmets to cover up most of the models.
I was considering going combat heavy with a Old-blood on Carnosaur (beautiful model), but when I typed that last sentence I answered my own question and realised I shouldn't do that (to many Sauruses).

To summarise:
Would a skink heavy Lizarmen army be feasible? without reeking like Limburger.
Can you give me a reason not to?
Does a Saurus free army pack enough punch to survive the combat phase?

·
Registered
16 Posts
The list I run the most doesn't have any saurus in it, except for an Oldblood. That list is here: http://www.librarium-online.com/forums/lizardmen-army-lists/182118-2250-hulk-smash-list.html

You have to be careful when running a saurus-free army, as you don't really have an anchor in the middle. When I play, I have to mostly rely on either trying to outshoot the enemy with the bolt throwers on my stegadons to kill chariots until they get close enough, with my skinks and razordons doing mop up. Or, you rely on the entire army having M6 (save the Scar -Vet) and try to out-maneuver the enemy, which works pretty well given I'm not playing against Wood Elves.

I do run saurus in my Slann list however, and if you could paint them up in a scheme you like, or mod them a bit to your liking to get over your distaste, they almost always win in combat against other troops.

Except Chaos warriors.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I think that playing an all skink army is definitely feasible. They have some good options for hard hitters in the form of stegadons. An all skink army with an oldblood on a carnosaur as the general is what I play at most tournaments, and I usually get nice results. I am working on converting the rider into a skink rider. I will use the oldbloods stats and just call him a skink warlord or something.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Would a skink heavy Lizarmen army be feasible? without reeking like Limburger.

Well, there are certainly other ways to compensate for the lack of Saurus in other aspects, to be sure. I think you would almost now HAVE to have at least 1 Saurus Temple Guard regiment, in order to protect the Slann that you should have anyway.

Can you give me a reason not to?

No, I think you need at least the Temple Guard but I think you can make do without any other Saurus Units.

Does a Saurus free army pack enough punch to survive the combat phase?

Remember that your Skink Chiefs and Shamans have access to some pretty good magic items that will improve a units performance.

And don't forget to put Kroxigors in every unit that you can.

Back them up with a powerful mage priest; Steggies/Ancient Steggies; Salamanders or Razordons and you can totally do this.

·
Registered
555 Posts
yeah mostly skink armies can work really well. In my tourny army I have slann, 2 skink priests on engines 3 units of 10 skinks ( these really are awesome) 16 temple guard and 3 salamanders ( don't underestimate these alot of opponents do until they get charged in the flank by a unit strenght 18 2 s5 attacks killing machine)

An army without saurus wouldn't work in my opinion. You need atleast one unit of saurus ( or temple guard). Skink only lists work up till you reach 1250 points. Good luck.:beer:

·
Registered
691 Posts
I would not go with any more then 10 temple gaurd, a very small unit is all you need to protect your Slann.

A Skink Chief with that one magical spear, it grants the powers of a lance to the Skink Chief on the charge AND bumps up the Steggies impact hits from 1d6+1 to 2D6+2....a substantial increase when you look at it and the spear only costs something like 40 points....quite a bargain IMHO.

I would go with Slann/lots of magic items and diciplines/magical BSB

2 Skink Shamans on EOTGs
1 Skink Chief on Steggie with that spear I list above.

yeah that is a lot of points, but 3 steggs in the army will more then compensate for no saurus.

Give your Skink units kroxigors to bump up their own strength.

I think this army list would work really well. With two Ancient Steggies you won't be able to have any salamanders or razordons. But with a skink heavy army with their poisoned weapons, and with the equivelant of a level 4 slann and two level 3 (for all intents and purposes) Skink Priests on the Engine with the powers of the EOTG, and you will have plenty of medium range firepower.

This army would have to move towards the enemy, you can't sit back with it. You would deploy skink skirmishes in front of all lines of this army, followed by Skink/Krox combinations. Following them should be the Steggs with the Slann on the move as well.

Magic, magic Magic and the skins can totally do this.

·
4,361 Posts
I would not go with any more then 10 temple gaurd, a very small unit is all you need to protect your Slann.
Personally, I would go any lower than 14. This lets you start 6 wide with 3 ranks.

A Skink Chief with that one magical spear, it grants the powers of a lance to the Skink Chief on the charge AND bumps up the Steggies impact hits from 1d6+1 to 2D6+2....a substantial increase when you look at it and the spear only costs something like 40 points....quite a bargain IMHO.
It actually does 2D6+1 impact hits, and does take up all his magic points.

I would go with Slann/lots of magic items and diciplines/magical BSB
I usually don't top out the magic items as I want to keep his points somewhat contained.

2 Skink Shamans on EOTGs
I little OTT I think, unless you are in a highly competitive area.

1 Skink Chief on Steggie with that spear I list above.
I am starting to get off this guy. Looked great at the start, but if you don't get the charge at something meaty, he just doesn't help out enough.
Also being a wood elf player, I think lizardmen are a nice second army. But I would advise against the all skink force, or mainly skink force. You end up with an army with a bunch of fragile models (sound familiar), running around trying to out maneuver your enemy (been there). Go for the saurus heavy list, with stegadons. You get block troops (that is different than the wood elves), with armour saves (yoohoo), toughness (excellent), and can have a strong magic phase (love that).

I got them so I could get as far away from the wood elf style of play as possible. I think you will find that more enjoyable. And it helps you develop tactics you don't normally use, which will benefit you when you play your wood elves, as you will better understand what your opponent is trying to do.

SirKently

·
Registered
555 Posts
I agree with sirkently on most parts but blocks of troops great magic and armour saves are just what he had with WOC but he is considering selling them. What you could go for is a fair mixture like a slann, scar vet, EoTG, 1 unit of 15 saurus, 2x10 units of skinks, terradons, saurus cav, temple guard and salamanders.

That is varied with good potential in all phases but not boring blocks of troops on their own repeatedly.

·
Registered
691 Posts
but he was asking for alternatives to an army that has no Saurus in it, wasn't that the original topic he was asking?

Truth is, a Slann does NOT have to have any TempleGaurd at all and you could use Skinks if you needed to, but the Slann would not have the same advantage that he would have in a Temple Guard unit.

That's why I was suggesting the 10 temple gaurd unit as it is the minimum you can buy but enough to give the Slann the advantages of having a TG protectors.

the magic item I was thinking of is the Stegadon War Spear for the Skink chief. Cost is 5o points, yes your entire allotment of magic points. Although you can still have him the Steggie howdah for protection and still give him lt armor, a shield and blowpipes as needed. But it confers the powers of a lance upon it's bearer, giving you 3 S6 attacks on the charge at WS4, AND it gives the Steg 2d6+1 damage in stead of 1 d6 damage......I think it is well worth it.

·
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks for all the replies.
I didn't mean to imply that I didn't want any saurus in the army. Just not the regular saurus warriors. I don't mind 1 unit of TG and or saurus lord/heroes. it doesnt matter how much I hate saurusses the carnosaur more that compensates for it, lol.

Regarding TG, their helmets cover the heads, and the heads are what I don't like about the current saurus models.

I've been thinking of useng bloodletters with some mild converting for saurusses, because the unit "saurus" is kick ass.

But my state of mind at the moment isn't one that feels like doing much or has energy to start let alone finish anything, so this project is on hold for the time being.

·
Registered
691 Posts
well like I said, in reality ,you COULD use skinks to put the Slann in. The rules do allow it. I would say if you are looking to do a Saurus-free army (relatively speaking) and that is what I was throwing out, was from an "OK he wants no Saurus or Cold One units in them and maybe even no temple guard" and was trying to give you the perspective from that.

From the perspective if you are not using Saurus you are going to have a lot of points to use for some really good stuff, which is what I was getting at.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.