Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well, I got to thinking, what could I use to convert various units.

My army is going to be a nurgle/khorne army, so I'm going to try and get as much plastic as I can. This doesn't need to be tournament legal, but i'd like to use GW models, So a list of the units.

Khorne;

Various greater Daemons-I'll probably find some toys and GS them, a bit like what lluftwaffe(sp) is doing now.

Heralds-probably convert from normal bloodletters

Bloodcrushers-Chaos Knights
Bloodletters-aready plastic

Hounds-Chaos hounds

Nurgle;

Various greater Daemons- not sure

Heralds- Zombies?

Plaguebearers-same as above.

Beast of nurgle- I'm not too sure about this one. I'm not to keen on the stats though. If i can find a cheap bloodcrusher, I won't take any...

I think that's it.

Thanks for any help guys. I greatly appreciate it :)

·
Torn ACL FTL
4,404 Posts
Bloodcrushers: Warhammer Chaos Knights. They're plastic, 5 for $25 and look suitably beefy and spiky. Add Bloodletter heads or some Daemonic flair and you're all set.

Hounds: Warhammer Chaos Hounds. 10 in a box, plastic, and plenty spiky. If you've got anybody with Ork bits lying around, the spiky shoulder pads make for good Collars of Khorne. Paint them Khorney and that's it.

Plaguebearers: Warhammer Zombies. Big box of 20, plastic and lots of bitz. Add your own 40k bitz to make them into all sorts of rotting Eldar, Tau, marines, or whatever.

Beast of Nurgle: Hock a loogie onto a base :p

·
Registered
71 Posts
Bloodletters riding Chaos Knights horses look really awesome, and you can't beat the price. For $44 + the price of some 60mm bases, you've got 5 (otherwise $35 a piece) Bloodcrushers, with parts left over to either use for 5 regular Bloodletters or even more Crushers!

Please excuse the poor phone pic, but here's mine:

I've since added bits of chain all over, and I will post that pic up here when I can take pics of them later on! These were a blast to convert.

Edit:

Here's one I pic I had on my phone of the Chaincrusher. The others mostly are just tied to the collars of the "Juggernauts."

·
Registered
74 Posts
Hehe, that is what I was going to do for my bloodcrushers! Although a few people are annoyed at how I actually don't use a lot of the daemon models.

For plaguebearers I actually use the ghouls from vampire counts. I think they are a bit more menacing than the zombies, and they have a lot of bumps and cuts that can be painted to look like diseases or infections. Plus. quite a few of them are drooling (or vomiting blood in one case), painting them green makes it look like slime, ooze, what have you, very plauge-like.

For fiends I am using cold ones, with the old fat cold one model for the fiends that have unholy might. This is probably the one that gets me a lot of bad looks, but meh. I plan to do the 'drider' conversions (top half daemonette, bottom half spider), but I needed something faster that I could have done for an upcoming tournament.

For the bloodcrushers, as said above.

Anyway, has anyone else had that problem? Where your local gaming group keeps pressuring you to buy the actual models? They don't hate my models or anything, and they love the paint jobs, they just don't think it is really, I dunno, right?

·
Registered
2,104 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Haha! Hilarious, ikbuh!

Yeah, tell them to shove it! Daemon models are too expensive. Figures the coolest units (Fiends and 'Crushers) costs 20 and 35 bucks (US) for ONE. Plus, creative plastic conversions are much more stimulating than putting together stupid metal models that take super glue as well as water mixes with oil! :laugh:

I mean there are things I like about the metals. So far I've enjoyed painting them more than plastics, and I enjoy their heftiness. But as far as modelling and conversions go (which I like more than painting, actually), plastics win.

Of course, I'm one to talk: I picked up the Spearhead set for pretty cheap on eBay! :freaked-out:

Edit:

Forgot to mention, Here's some pretty good Ghoul to Plaguebearer conversions: http://www.thehogsofwar.com/2009/08/ghouls-to-plaguebearers-finished.html

·
LO Zealot
4,014 Posts
A few of my favorite daemon conversions:

Fiends of Slaanesh- the plastic Chaos Spawn work great, and at a small fraction of the price. Tyranid Warriors can also work, as long as you have enough extra non-tyranid bits

Seekers of Slaanesh- use the torso, heads and arms of daemonettes, but instead of gluing them onto their legs, glue them to giant spider bodies, from the Orcs and Goblins Fantasy army (they're pretty cheap on ebay). For a more 'twisted' look you can use dryads instead of daemonettes (this is what I did).

Pink Horrors- use genestealers. Genestealers alone should work well, or you could do what I did and snip off the back set of arms, glue them on opposite sides facing backwards, and use greenstuff to add a small second head on its back.

Great Unclean Ones/Daemon Princes of Nurgle- take any large model from Warhammer Fantasy (like the troll from the Skull Pass set) and simply add plenty of green stuff.

Plaguebearers- as others have mentioned, zombies with greenstuff works well, but pretty much anything with greenstuff will also work.

Nurglings- ripper swarms with greenstuff. Pretty much the same principal as the plaguebearers.

The rest, others have already said. Good luck!

·
Registered
74 Posts
If they really want you to use "proper" Fiends and Bloodrcrushers, tell them they're more than welcome to drop 300+ bucks just for your Elites.

Yup pretty much what I said!
"well, if you want to buy me $360 worth of fiends, feel free, I on the other hand do not have access to such frivolous spending."

But I don't know if I would even want them, I loath the look of the fiend models.

In other news, played my first game with Daemons, and won! Sort of by luck though.

My opponent clumped his models pretty close together to limit my deepstrike space, but I got the GUO right in front of them so I didn't have to worry about slow and purposeful.

Anyway, my GUO and a tzherald pretty much killed his entire army, it was wonderful. Out of five reserve units, two came on turn 4, the rest on turn 5, which was annoying.

But didn't matter much as my tzherald blew up all the tanks and made space marine units take shooting morale checks, and my GUO shrugged off 120+ shots and however many melee attacks to wipe a unit of sternguard, a unit of five marines, a dreadnought, and by the end of the game charged a 10 man unit of marines and winning combat, they ran, but were still on the table when the game ended. He survived with 1 wound for two turns, which is why I say I had some luck.

Sorry, slight derail, was just really excited to get to use my army.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.