Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Master of the Crab Women
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright folks. I think most of us can agree that the swordmaster models are anything from bad to disgusting.

As a conversion idea, I propose taking executioners and filing down the spiky bits. The draichs pose a problem and I do not know where to find suitable replacements.

Any ideas or other methods?

·
Registered
365 Posts
Personally, I really like the swordmaster models. I think they fit the fluff image quite nicely.

Executioner models on the other hand, I dislike. I don't like how they are holding their weapons.

Of course, it's completely personal so I can understand how you might feel differently about this.

I also feel that the executioner models have too much 'chainmail' armour on them to fit in with the rest of the high elf models. But then again, I don't know the models all too well, so this might not be a problem in the end.

Conclusion: use whichever models you like best :D

·
Herman1004
1,266 Posts
What about greatswords? I don't know if they come with loose blades but i'm sure it wouldn't be a problem to convert.

May also try menghils' manflayers. The blades really rock.

Wardancers?

·
Rushing Jaws
1,541 Posts
I hope somebody has some good ideas, because I really don't want to pay the prices GW charge for their Swordmasters, they're far too static. If they were cheaper then maybe but I won't spend £12 for 5 ugly models.

I think the main problem if you want to convert them is the swords, because I dont remember seeing any suitably large high elf-y looking swords that you could use.I would probably make most of the rest of the SM from the Spearmen kit, but what to use for the swords (other than greenstuff) eludes me.

If I were to convert some, I would probably end up trying to gain some greenstuff skills and use the spearmen as a base, but i'm not sure how I would go about it.

·
Registered
162 Posts
~One thing I was thinking about doing, just fro the fact that they don't look bad and their really cheap. The Warriors from the Last Alliance elves with swords look decent. I'm getting a couple of boxes of the Last Alliance Warriors, mainly for their Archers. They look outstanding. The elves with the swords over their heads look very static unfortunately. They do having very excellent looking armour though.

~These are the Last Alliance Warriors:
Games Workshop US Online Store

·
Master of the Crab Women
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't think that there's any cheap way to do this. I think I might have to think of a way to "goodify" my executioners.

In the meantime I'm going to use my Phoenix Guard as a proxy. :)

The art that goes with the swordmaster entry is really nice but the models just don't live up to it.

·
Rushing Jaws
1,541 Posts
I've suddenly become really motivated to try to convert some swordmasters, however it all depends on how well I can sculpt really. What I'm considering doing is basically taking the legs, torso and helmet from the spearmen box, then adding on paperclips bent into the basic pose of the arms and sword then greenstuffing around that, and using some more to generally make them look more elite and swordmaster-y.

The only problem is I've never worked with the stuff before, so I think I'll need a lot of practice!

·
Master of the Crab Women
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
We could have a contest. We all do a single model and post it in this thread!

How does that sound? I have a spare executioner hanging around just waiting to be converted :)

·
Rushing Jaws
1,541 Posts
Why not...

If and when I get around to it, which given my current desire to sculpt me some sword arms should be fairly soon, and if it looks semi decent (which is unlikely!) I'll post pics. Actually, if I do it I might take pics through the whole process, and write a sort of guide to the process.

But far more likely is that it would look awful and nobody will ever, EVER see it...:|

Anyhow I think I'll buy some green stuff and some tools tomorrow, because even if this is a step too far, I've wanted to try sculpting for a little while.

·
Bearded Ninja
2,678 Posts

ta-da ;)

£14 for the lot without postage, not too shabby ay? non GW however, so not much use if you play at a store. they arn't much better than normal swordmasters pose wise either... but if you want a cheaper option :D

Black Tree Design

·
Consumate professional
2,863 Posts

ta-da ;)

£14 for the lot without postage, not too shabby ay? non GW however, so not much use if you play at a store. they arn't much better than normal swordmasters pose wise either... but if you want a cheaper option :D

Black Tree Design
Black Tree Designs stuff is the exact same scale as GW models, and use slotta bases too so they dont look out of place

·
Master of the Crab Women
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Why not...

If and when I get around to it, which given my current desire to sculpt me some sword arms should be fairly soon, and if it looks semi decent (which is unlikely!) I'll post pics. Actually, if I do it I might take pics through the whole process, and write a sort of guide to the process.

But far more likely is that it would look awful and nobody will ever, EVER see it...:|

Anyhow I think I'll buy some green stuff and some tools tomorrow, because even if this is a step too far, I've wanted to try sculpting for a little while.
Cool cool. I'll get home early today and get filing my executioner down.

Arklite said:
http://www.black-tree-design.com/pro...ges/fa7995.jpg

ta-da ;)

Black Tree Design
I think that they look worse than GW's models. I mean look at the zombie ogre croc thing from the same company!!! :p

·
Consumate professional
2,863 Posts
Cool cool. I'll get home early today and get filing my executioner down.

I think that they look worse than GW's models. I mean look at the zombie ogre croc thing from the same company!!! :p
They are a little bit like GW minis from around 1990!

·
Registered
137 Posts
I actually quite like the Sword Masters as they are but I have converted mine from Executioners. All I've done is added a little cloth around the waist and filled down their swords to look a little less brutal. It has made them look a little aggressive but this fits in with the theme of my army. Just on a side note I also use the DE RBT for my army as well.

I'll try and upload an image later when home.

·
Consumate professional
2,863 Posts
Exactly! and would you spend that kind of money on those models? Of course you wouldn't!
I love GW models from the early 90s! but I take your point!

Those rackham minis look great- how do they compare scale wise?

·
übertyrant
332 Posts
The rackham models are about the same scale as GW's minis. I even use some rackham models in my WE army :)
And although I do agree they're costly; they're very detailed and look good :D

1 - 20 of 57 Posts