Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys looking for some advice on best way to run corsairs in terms of unit size, weapon load out and best magical banner options

was thinking of unit of 18 with FC and hand X-Bows or same again with the 2 hand weap option and frenzy banner.............? any ideas ;)

thx,

mat

·
Registered
326 Posts
How you probably should use them:

1: small 10-12 no upgrade unit with either weapon option ~ Used for rundown rule and supporting other units

2: 12-14 with the sea serpent standard and extra hand weapons, but no command other than banner ~ useful for volume of attacks as a backfield counter charge unit (hide them behind crossbows)

3: full block, full command w/ extra hand weapons ~ useful as a res block that can survive shooting better than normal.

Of the three option, 1 is probably the best. Number two is very narrow use, but witches can do it better for cheaper. Number 3 is too expensive, corsairs cost too many points compared to warriors, and don't really do much better.

That being said, corsairs are still better than most other armies core, so if you like them, run them. Just keep in mind you probably aren't taking the most optimal unit.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the advice

anyone else do anything different, heard some mention running 2xunits of either 12 or 14 blocks down the flank with 2HW saw a mate use them quite well with 2HW and the frenzy banner with a cauldron in support giving killing blow

thanks again guys

cheers,

mat

·
Thrillseeker
548 Posts
There's a whole lot more to be done with them than that..

Pretty versatile loadout and the 4+ against ranged make them a good shielding unit.
note Ranged, not just Shooting.. :p

slap on handbows and deny marchblockers.

Corsairs are, like the rest of the army a tactical choice that must be supported unless fighting the weakest of foes.
Best used as an oblique threat

Combine charge enemies with a cav unit and then force the enemy to reroll the highest flee-die and chase them down with the cav.(stick lokhir in there for some pure evil)

Below 12 is too few to hold under any kind of pressure, 14 (7wide/2ranks) is the most economical that still can survive some limited pain and yet accomplish something Imho.

Big blocks of corsairs are more expensive than warriors, but then again, warriors are dirt cheap and not expected to do anything but add scr.
Clever use of the slaver rule and some nice SCR may redeem the big unit, dunno.

Witchelves and corsairs.. hmm, well corsairs are pretty much witchelves that traded their poison and drugs for armour, the slaver rule and a versatile loadout.

The cauldron is always useful if you can spare the points..
its just about the same cost as an unkillable lord.. (around 250), so why not.

How you equip them is dependant on the rest of your army and your playstyle ultimately, if you don't have a set role for them, proxy them with the different loadouts and try them out.

·
Premium Member
4,800 Posts
My local metagame is high-T armies (Warriors of Chaos, Ogres etc.) and my Corsairs haven't done well with paired weapons. I reinvented them to 12-man blocks of handbows, no command, and found them excellent as bait. Move in front of an enemy and shoot him up. If he charges then stand & shoot, take your wounds and die off. He is now out of position and, ideally, standing inside a trap you've laid. If he doesn't charge then have the Corsairs stay there and keep shooting; it'll be hard for him to maneuver around them and meanwhile he's taking as much damage as would be caused by paired weapon Corsairs in CC.

I feel vaguely bad for using Corsairs as throwaways but they just can't do damage to the heavies I face every game. And it works; no Druchii can argue with results.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I love the massive attacks of Corsairs with a Sea Serpent Standard. That is the main way I would run them. Depending on the points is how many guys I would use. (no less than 14).

Like arachnid already said, they have the 4+ against any ranged attacks (magic and shooting). That is huge, and with the massive 3 attacks with the SSS then you have a real threat that can cover both CC and ranged.

I normally only use them against lower stat-line teams with shooting. (Tomb Kings are just one example) Because of the massive attacks you can really whoop up on the TK in CC and hold up against the shooting.

I like the Warriors more, just because of low cost, and the fact that they have never failed me yet...(also warriors have the option for 2 attacks, the same armour save if using spears, and if using hand weapon and shield they gain one more. (That is why I prefer them...also 3 points less after shields. The ultimate decision is yours, but my choice is normally Warriors and Dark Riders for my core...

If you ever play a castle siege though I highly recommend corsairs.

Hope this helps.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.