Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Formerly C/-Rt3r
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I havent been able to find any locally and i have a few more places to try but generally how much does this stuff run for? Is it cheap or is it on the money sucking side? I am planning to start doing a terrain board that is gonna have a cut in river to it so i am gonna need to at least cover an entire 4x6 foot board in about 2 inches of foam. Not to mention large hills and rock formations.

·
Registered
830 Posts
well I would think its expensive because its usede for a house. A lot of the Time places like department stores, throw out that stuff and they have to pay for it they are happy to let you take stuff.

·
Registered
953 Posts
At Home Depot here in NJ an 8'x2'x1" pink insulation board is almost $9. I cut that into 4 2'x2' sections for my modular gaming board. Obviously you'll need at least six sections for a 4'x6' gaming table. I double mine up for each section so I can have negative terrain such as blast craters and real rivers. It has run me more money that I originally planned but the use I'll get out of a modular board outweighs the cost.

·
heretical thoughts?
948 Posts
i think i got a a piece that was 8'x2'x1 or 2" for like $16. if you need it cut for gaming table needs, then do it at the store or bring a foam cutter or saw or something, because it probably wont fit in your car.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Dont buy foam core, you find tons at any construction sight, especially homes

·
Registered
29 Posts
so just go up to the people working and ask if they have any fome that they wold be throwing out? when douring the construction would be the best time to gather up the fome? and what or how would u start that conversation with the people who are in yellow hard hats and orangevests. also i live in arizona so some times they wont even speek englesh... boy oo boy would that be odd.

·
Registered
285 Posts
No, if you see a house being constructed theres a ton of thick foam core usally lying in a pile, and I just walk up when no one ios around and take it, if they needed the foam core it would be sucured, but look for the obvious pile of trash core.

·
Formerly C/-Rt3r
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
LoL, well i checked it out and a 1/2 inch thick 8'x4' is like 13 bucks and 1 inch blue foam 8'x4' is like 9 so i am lucky compared to some of the prices i have seen posted.

·
975 Posts
Well then go to a free website translation and type in those questions. If they speek spanish there has to be one person who speeks english then ask to talk to him then ask him if there is any that they arent going to use and if he wont give it to you then make a deal and buy it dirt cheap. Then ask if they have extra plywood scraps.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Scrounging the foam will get you small pieces, but usually any piece as large as a gaming board will be used. Also, make sure you get the foamcore sheet as some insulators use the cheaper pressed stuff and that gets everywhere. You may even try talking to a local builder and see if they'll arder you some when they place their order for the job. Since the contractor buys in bulk it will most likely be cheaper than buying it from the store yourself. The problem with this is the condition. Because of the scale, even small blemishes in the foamcore may cause undesirable features. This is why I typically buy mine from the store, so I can make sure they are in perfect shape.

I buy sheets of 8'x2'x1" pink foamcore for around $9 at Home Depot here in NJ. You want either 3/4" or 1" thick for general terrain. I would always recommend checking large home improvement stores before art stores as they tend to be a good deal cheaper.

·
heretical thoughts?
948 Posts
do they even use insulation foam in arizona? I thought it was to keep things warm inside.. maybe I'm wrong tho...

·
With Oden On Our Side...
1,137 Posts
In my experiences, the 8'x4'x2" is the best for the base of a table.
I'm starting on a double layered 8'x4' table. On the top is a normal woodlands field, all terrain is movable. The base of that is two 4'x4' pieces of plywood with textured paint. Under that I'm building a large Dwarven Hall *as seen on the UK GW site*. I'm building the walls of the cave out of 8'x4'x2". However, since there is a lot getting cut out, I'm using that for terrain as well.

I perfer the 2" because it is structurally better (as it is, after all, twice as thick). If I need to, I'll thin it out, for buildings perhaps. However, it works well for making hills since you can easily shave it down to make a slope of pathway.

IIRC, the local Home Depot had it for $20 a sheet. The biggest problem you'll have is transporting and storing.:sleep:

·
Registered
953 Posts
The Doctor said:
In my experiences, the 8'x4'x2" is the best for the base of a table.
I'm starting on a double layered 8'x4' table. On the top is a normal woodlands field, all terrain is movable. The base of that is two 4'x4' pieces of plywood with textured paint. Under that I'm building a large Dwarven Hall *as seen on the UK GW site*. I'm building the walls of the cave out of 8'x4'x2". However, since there is a lot getting cut out, I'm using that for terrain as well.

I perfer the 2" because it is structurally better (as it is, after all, twice as thick). If I need to, I'll thin it out, for buildings perhaps. However, it works well for making hills since you can easily shave it down to make a slope of pathway.

IIRC, the local Home Depot had it for $20 a sheet. The biggest problem you'll have is transporting and storing.:sleep:
I use 1" and glue two layers together as my base. This allows me to have negative terrain like riverbeds and blast craters very easily. I prefer using only foam over plywood for ease of use and transportability. I currently have 11 2'x2' sections of diverse terrain that we can mix and match to form any board.

I also prefer the 1" foam as this is close to the base size classes in 40k. 1" will typically cover size 1 models like rippers and scarabs. 2 layers will cover size 2 models like normal infantry. If you use 2" foam you're limiting yourself to size 2 terrain at the minimum. Besides, 2" thic foam is much more expensive than the 1" thick stuff and typically more difficult to find.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts