Librarium Online Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
grettings. This question is sort of off topic, but since i figured you all were hardened and zealous servents of the Imperium, i would ask:
I am attempting to start a 40k costuming group (with an empahsis on th Empire of man), in which myself, and any others who wish to attend, will basically meet (in costume, maybe play a few games of 40k, and hold tournaments of hand-to-hand combat using a foam weapon system. I am going to be a Interrogater Chaplain, and i was wondering if anyone had any experience in creating power armour. i would imagine that it is somewhat like Stormtrooper armour, with variations. if anyone has any advice, it would be appriciated.

Chaplain Remegius Altham

·
Registered
290 Posts
Well, I'll admit that i both have no costume experience and that i find your idea a little odd, but for some reason the idea resontes with me none the less. (and seriously, what good idea isn't at least a little odd)

My advice, not from costuming but from a multitude of hobbies un realated to each other under my belt, is to start off slower and aim a bit lower.

Making power armour, and making it good, will be tricky at best i can promise you. If i were you I'd set the power armour off until later and start off say as an imperial guard commisar, or maybe an inquisitor out of armour (or something less than power armour)

I bet scout armour would be easier to make, and if you had the figure, or lack of personal qualms (and suddenly LRSeriesIII sudders in his chemistry class for no apparent reason...), making a once-piece spandex assassin's suit with webbing belts and stuff could be good as well as amusing if done right.

But anyway if your serious i suggest putting off the power armour until you get practice and experience first, just as a rule of thumb for new things.

·
Registered
581 Posts
(and suddenly LRSeriesIII sudders in his chemistry class for no apparent reason...)
Ahem...what is that supposed to mean? :?:

For the power armor, I don't have any costume experience but I have some fabrication experience with various materials, so here's my limited advice. First of all, like rtsposer said, start out small. If you start out big you run a strong chance of failing and getting discouraged. Maybe start with scout armor something (I am steadfastly against spandex, due to the fact that it is spandex, but if it's your bag, go for it).

For the power armor, you're biggest decisions (in my opinion) is going to be what material and how much do you want it to look "correct"? Also knowing a budget is good too. PVC pipe wouldn't be too expensive and wouldn't dent easily but would be very difficult to make joints and so forth with, very heavy, and possibly very hot to wear. Sheet metal might work out, as long as you can figure a way of suspending it out away from you. The joints are going to be sticking spots, especially if you don't use metal and especially in the shoulders where they have to fit the pads properly. For gauntlets I would just go with some sort of glove with a panel on the top of your hand (believe me, you do not want to try constructing rigid fingers...). Also unless you have some experience shaping metal (or some other material), the shoulder pads are going to be...a learning experience. Not something to be worried about, just something to realize may not come out right the first time.

That's kind of all I can think of now. You could also go with card-board, but...well...I'm not sure how long that would last, especially in the joints.

Anyway, if you've got any questions please don't hesitate to ask and please keep us informed. Good luck.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Actually, i had an idea for scout armour the other day. Take a look at football (and i mean REAL football, not soccer :lol: )protective padding, especially the shoulder pading.

It strikes me that if you used that as a starting point, and then maybe hotglued some thin plastic sheeting over it to get the surface texture right, well its an idea anyway.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Also look at La Cross pads, I think they might work a little better (don't know though).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
sorry it has been so long, my computer was down. i have below my list for a Commissar:
black cop hat w/ and I.E. or skull pin/patch
greatcoat
foam sword (for combat)
Blood red pants and shirt
there is a toy gun from Kaybees that looks like a bolter when to mussle is taken off
water pistol of WWII German officer pistol
epaulets
i think that is it, please tell me any and all feedback

·
Registered
581 Posts
Perhaps a riding crop?

·
Registered
295 Posts
nah, I would suggest a pig riding a corp, with 5 scything talons and two twin-linkned lascannons on its back... FEAR THAT! ;)

·
Registered
581 Posts
Um...I ment just because sometimes you see generals and stuff with riding crops (ever seen the movie "Patton"? If not go rent it)

·
Registered
295 Posts
hmmm.. nope, not seen it.. and I doubt that film doesn't even exist here in the Swedes' minds... ;P

then tell me about it...

·
Registered
581 Posts
It's just a movie about General George Patton, a brilliant American General in WWII. When the allies were building an imaginary army on the coast of England to make the Germans think they would invade France somewhere other than Normandy (to make them think they would invade across from where the fake army was supposed to be) the Americans put Patton in charge of this imaginary army because they knew the Germans would be scared out of their pants at the prospect of him invading. He was very hard charging and aggressive and very flamboyant (and somewhat, erm...controversial).

·
Registered
581 Posts
Not that old, 1970 or so...
And are you saying it is spelled Normandie, not Normandy? Because (at least here in the US, which should be the same as teh French spelling since it is the same alphabet) I have always seen it spelled Normandy (not that it matters at all).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
i just had a great idea for a costume.
if you read Malleus by Dan Abnett, you notice on page 50 we get a discription of the Inquisitorial Guard

·
Registered
295 Posts
Originally posted by LRSeriesIII@Mar 27 2003, 21:27
And are you saying it is spelled Normandie, not Normandy?
I suppose it's spelled as: Normandie and not Normandy (that sounds english)

Read the French atlas and u'll see.. but I believe americans have translated it... =P

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.