Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to start up a grenadier army... but I'm having troubles deciding on a HQ to lead the army. I love the Karskin models so my army will be heavy based on them (3 grenadier troops and up to 3 unites of elites ST).

What models would you recommend for HQ that would fit the theme of the army and not look out of place? how would you army them as well?

·
Registered
326 Posts
It really depends on what you're own preferences are, but Creed or Schaeffer make pretty good models if you use them as standard officers. Being metal though makes the modelling opportunities a little limited. If you are feeling creative I'd reccommend making your own and arming him with a bolter and equipping him with carapace of course! More for theme than anything else mind you..

A decent unit that would fit the grenadier theme might look like:

JO - Bolter + Carapace
1 x Vet with standard + Bolter + Carapace
3 x Vets with Carapace + Bolter

You could substitute a bolter for a storm bolter and maybe throw in a medic, but I guess the idea would be to ensure they are equipped with carapace. Veteran status could be a substitute for the 'superior training' that storm troopers have. Alternatively, use up a doctrine and buy carapace for the whole unit at 20 points.. chances are you wont have many units that will be 'forced' to buy carapace thus making this one of the few cases where the SE:carapace doctrine isn't a massive points sink. Then you could save points on bolters and vet status and just go buy some special weapons.. you could even use standard kasrkin models.. just differentiate them some how to show they still only have BS3.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I think you could easily mod the existing Kasrkin models to suit your HQ.

A friend of mine is doing just that - he's clipping off parts, adding plastic and applying some green stuff where needed to achieve exactly what you are trying to achieve.

I would recommend taking the sgt. model and giving him a green stuff beret and some medals. I did this and it looks pretty sweet. That could be your JO whatever officer you choose.

I considered using a LT head off of one of the metal booster packs, but a beret looks cooler than the officer cap so I scrapped that idea.

You could accomplish a cool looking HQ with some simple clipping and tweaking of Kasrkins - it's very doable.

Peace.

·
A 51st Century Man
1,806 Posts
I wouldnt have any heavy weapons in your HQ and focus more on morale boosters and anything that will increase your commanders stats in the fields of BS, WS, and Sv+. A vox caster might be a good idea if your troops are going to be scattered or spread out.

·
907 Posts
Ive been meaning to make a small grenadiers army for a while now, but the HQ never seems to fit so I keep putting it off. The main thing that bothers me is that the retinue will always have BS3, and thus never truly a ST HQ. I was thinking of doing something like this:

[120 pts]
SO w/ boltpistol, pw
4 Guardsmen w/ flamers
Frags, Kraks, Carapace and Drop Troops

That would basically make them STs, except theyd be 24 pts a piece for a fairly ineffective suicide squad.

If youre not as anal as me, you can always just accept their BS3 and continue with life. Dropping them in with meltas is good, or go the support route by giving em iron discipline and maybe a heavy weapon, which ST lists are usually in dire need of.

·
Watcher In The Sky
1,083 Posts
And if you want to justify the BS3 then you can simply say that thier training focuses more on the support/advisory/tactics/staff areas than in the actual combating (okay, thats a pretty shaky justification but hey....)

·
Registered
181 Posts
A thought i had for a grenadiers list would be to have a junior officer, with nothing, then attach a tooled up commissar to the suqad. The plan would be to represent the army as a Scholara Progium (or however you spell it) force, That SHOULD be led by the Com.

·
Registered
579 Posts
One "option" would be to assume that the cost of an officer is the cost of the relevant HQ squad minus 4 x basic guardsmen.

Then add carapace armour to that officer and and add back in 4 x ST with standard loadouts to get an approximated Command Squad - then add Specials weapons, standards & medics to taste.

Given that Grenadiers are somewhat oreientated as moving and shooting types (ish) you can keep all HW in HW squads - again increasing the basic cost of the guardsmen by a fiddle factor (of say 25%) to allow for the BS4, but without adding in carapace as maybe support troopers aren't considered to need it and they have enough to carry??

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.