Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It looks like I'm going to be starting a Slaaneshi-themed CSM army for the holidays, and I'd like a few suggestions on creating fluff and/or naming the warband.

I think I'll be painting them up Chaos Black with pink and purple details on some parts of the armor. The trim will be gold or silver; I need to paint up some test schemes. As for the title of my force, I'm not sure what to name it. GW's "Flawless Host" has given me some inspiration, but I don't want it to be too similar. I definitely like names with "Host," "Children," or "Sons." Maybe I should choose one of those and look up some Slaaneshi-themed adjectives.

As for my fluff/backstory, I was considering making them a breakoff company from the EC, but I don't really know how practical it'd be. I'd like to tie in some other race(s) into their story if possible to give it depth and make it more interesting.

Any ideas/comments?

·
Registered
410 Posts
A few good Slaneeshi ideals and names would be "excess", "pleasure", "vice", "pain"...

It really depends on what type of Slanesshi theme you want. You can go the tried and tested "horny marines" where everything is very sex based as seems to be the prefered choice for many but Slaneesh as an entity is much more than that. He is the a god of experience and excess; taking any emotion and any eperience (good or bad, pleasurable or painful) to the upmost excess. This could be sexual, drug related, mental, physical, and so on. What I'm saying is a Slaneeshi warband could be based around the will to become proficiant in every type of hand to hand combat there is, to be the absolute best with a blade and pistol (as is the case with Lucius the Eternal) or to be able to hear every sound that was ever created and to create new ones (like the Noise Marines).

An idea I've always liked is naming characters after Literary and Historical figures who share these ideals like the Roman Emperor Calligula (if you've seen or even heard of the movie about him you'll know why he fits well), Baccus the god of wine and festivals, Oscar Wilde's Dorian Gray; a man so obsessed with staying young he makes a pact that allows him to indulge in any vice and excess and never show any negative signs while his portraite becomes aged, haggered, diseased and malformed, and the mythical figure Narcisis from which we get the term narcisistic.

I'm sure there are more charcaters like this but I can't think of them right now. Hope I've been of some help and not just rambled

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Those are some good ideas, thanks! I gave it a bit of thought and narrowed it down to a couple of choices:

-Heralds of Ecstacy
-The Host of Torments
-Sons of Excess

I thought of the first one and the other two were suggested to me on Heresy Online. I'm a bit concerned that my name sounds too much like "Angels of Ecstacy," which is featured in the Codex. I could switch "Ecstacy" with "Perfection" or "Excess" if I wanted.

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Why not go for Sons of Slaanesh? Has a nice ring to it. And if you want to tie another race into the backstory, have them focus their energies on killing as many eldar as they can and breaking open their soul stones (so that Slaanesh can feed on them). That's how they show their devotion: Slaanesh's sons try and kill their god's fathers. Even have them refer to the eldar as 'the grandfathers' and believe they are doing them a favour by giving their souls to the Dark Prince.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's a nifty idea! Unfortunatley, I don't know anyone around me who plays Eldar. :(

I thought about the fluff a bit more and came up with some ideas. I was thinking they might be some kind of "offspring," if you will, of the EC. Maybe they were part of a smaller chapter that was taken under the wing of the EC and trained in the use of sonic weaponry. As the chapter's desire for ecstacy and satisfaction grew, they went their own way to fufill their personal goals.

Or I could use the same story except instead of another chapter, a company of the EC split off under the lead of a Captian-turned Chaos Lord/DP that sought to make his own path in the galaxy.

Despite their breaking-off, I wanted the Warband to act as a sub-division or "parter in crime" to the EC, using their Gene-seed in return for their services or some kind of payment. Not sure how practical this would be, however.

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Remember that the EC don't work as a single Legion anymore. Like the World Eaters, after Skalathrax they split entirely into roving warbands fighting everyone. A lot don't even know where Fulgrim is anymore, they are searching for his planet 'of never ending pleasures.'

So it would make the most sense that your group is a subdivision of the EC.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Alright, so my warband will be a subdivision of the EC. I just have to figure out how they retain the geneseed to keep their numbers up. Perhaps they steal it from other EC warbands or make deals with them?

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
They'd preferably steal it, crazed hedonistic warriors aren't really the diplomatic type. and they would have no qualms against attacking brother Chaos Marines, as it was the EC that started all the infighting in the Eye of Terror.

Other than stealing from other EC, they would probably steal from other Chaos Marine stocks or from loyalist stocks. And of course they would harvest from their dead, like loyalists. Because the EC geneseed is relatively stable, they wouldn't need to get it from just one source (like the Blood Angels or Space Wolves).

·
Benevolent Dictator
9,222 Posts
What type of offshoot do you want to be? It's good to answer questions that explain these things. By asking yourself questions and providing answers, you will generate a very detailed piece of fluff that seems to encompass every facet of the chapter.

Why did they break from the EC, taking sonic weapons?
--they're a Rockstar type theme perhaps. They used the sonic weapons, but also focused on massive amounts of psychadelic or mind-altering drugs

Why the drugs?
--better than the stereotypical 'horny marines', and maybe they think that Fulgrim visits them in their hallucinogenic visions, guiding them to his realm. Started as a way to make the experience of Sonic Weapons more intense.

How do they Recruit?
--Just like real drug-dealers. They prey upon the downtrodden and disenchanted and promise them a chance to see a new side of the world. This could even tempt marines, who's constitutions are too strong to be swayed by 'normal' drugs, but these warpspawned 'synthetics' (eg cocaine, heroine, pcp, ecstasy, rohypnol) are strong enough to "free" them.

What are they called?
--Disciples of Fulgrim, Scourge of Adavan, Adrenomarines, The Aemytal Caballo, Hunters of Caine, Cloud Hunters, Angels Harmine, Princes of Lithius
All of these except Disciples of Fulgrim is simply alterations of street-names for various hard drugs. While most drug-terms are silly, like "Butt Darts", there are several that are actually prescription pills and have very latinesque names. Those could be used for places, characters, vehicles, squads or whatever you want.

Just keep answering each question and try to weave a coherent theme into the whole thing. This entire thought process took me about 5 minutes, not counting the time it took to find the slang terms on google, and to stop laughing at the thought of suggesting 'The Butt Darts of Fulgrim' as a name.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Okay, so I took the time to write up some formal fluff for my warband.

Name: The Rapturous Progeny
Current Leader: Chaldrion Kahlesh
Parent Legion: Emperor's Children
Brief History: Following the Horus Heresy, the Emperor's Children split into several roving warbands, including the Flawless Host and Angels of Ecstacy. One of these bands was the Rapturous Progeny. Led by the Chaos Lord Chaldrion Kahlesh, the Rapturous Progeny took to the stars in hope of reuniting with their Primarch once again.
Motive(s): The primary objective of the Rapturous Progeny is to seek out Fulgrim and inhabit his planet of untold pleasures. However, it would be unthinkable to arrive empty-handed. As an offering to Fulgrim, the warband stalks Eldar raiding parties, colonies, Exodite Worlds, and even Small Craftworlds to attain spirit stones. With these stones, Chaldrion hopes to prove the worth of himself and his legion to the Primarch and Slaanesh, hopefully attaining daemonhood once the quest is complete. The Rapturous Progeny not only fights against Eldar, but against Imperial strongholds and manufactorums. This is to ensure they have a plentiful stock of weapons, ammunition, vehicles and armor. Additionally, they need gene-seeds to keep their numbers from thinning. As well as harvesting from their dead, the Rapturous Progeny barters and steals from other warbands, and sometimes loot them from the bodies of loyalist Marines.

What do you think so far? I still have to write up about their equipment and appearance.

·
Thinks he's a big deal
1,233 Posts
Okay, so I took the time to write up some formal fluff for my warband.

Name: The Rapturous Progeny
Current Leader: Chaldrion Kahlesh
Parent Legion: Emperor's Children
Brief History: Following the Horus Heresy, the Emperor's Children split into several roving warbands, including the Flawless Host and Angels of Ecstacy. One of these bands was the Rapturous Progeny. Led by the Chaos Lord Chaldrion Kahlesh, the Rapturous Progeny took to the stars in hope of reuniting with their Primarch once again.
Motive(s): The primary objective of the Rapturous Progeny is to seek out Fulgrim and inhabit his planet of untold pleasures. However, it would be unthinkable to arrive empty-handed. As an offering to Fulgrim, the warband stalks Eldar raiding parties, colonies, Exodite Worlds, and even Small Craftworlds to attain spirit stones. With these stones, Chaldrion hopes to prove the worth of himself and his legion to the Primarch and Slaanesh, hopefully attaining daemonhood once the quest is complete. The Rapturous Progeny not only fights against Eldar, but against Imperial strongholds and manufactorums. This is to ensure they have a plentiful stock of weapons, ammunition, vehicles and armor. Additionally, they need gene-seeds to keep their numbers from thinning. As well as harvesting from their dead, the Rapturous Progeny barters and steals from other warbands, and sometimes loot them from the bodies of loyalist Marines.

What do you think so far? I still have to write up about their equipment and appearance.
Chaos Space Marines (those lunatic mon-keigh) stalking Eldar (the graceful, subtle, and as far as the mon-keigh are concerned, enigmatic and capricious psyker humanoids)? How...? Perhaps "They try and stalk the Eldar and mostly end up posing enough of a potential threat that the Eldar that the latter try to start the rhetorical 'dance' and the Rapturous Progeny try to finish it."

I like the rest, perhaps mention that Eldar are not Slaanesh's (or Fulgrim's) only indulgences...

Even better (to my holier-than-though, puritan-esque Eldar alter-ego), have them compete with Dark Eldar, directly and obtusely. They are both trying to capture dudez (and dudettez) for Slaanesh (one to honor Slaanesh, the other to buy him/her/it off), and they both strike from immaterial space. Maybe they have an arch-enemy cabal that they are always trying to one-up, and this is what brought the conflict to the attention of the Imperium (said competiton). Thus the Imperium sent its forces... the Space Marines and the Imperial Guard regiments and the Sisters of Battle and the occasional Grey Knight strike force.

This of course caught the attention of the Orks. WAAAAGH!

All this energy being tossed around threw a switch at some distant Necron tomb world...

The Tau... erm... this whole thing is on the Eastern Fringe?

The 'Nids... saw a lot of psychic power. Came to eat the individual(s) tossing around that power. And anyone nearby. Who are we kidding? They just came to eat. Tyranids aren't choosy that way.

EDIT: Zomg hi Sarathai! Long time no see. Whattup?

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Chaos Space Marines (those lunatic mon-keigh) stalking Eldar (the graceful, subtle, and as far as the mon-keigh are concerned, enigmatic and capricious psyker humanoids)? How...? Perhaps "They try and stalk the Eldar and mostly end up posing enough of a potential threat that the Eldar that the latter try to start the rhetorical 'dance' and the Rapturous Progeny try to finish it."
Eldar fanboy alert...

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hmm. I actually changed it around a bit before reading your responses. Instead of tryign to find Fulgrim's world, Chaldrion is trying to attain his own planet.

Following the Horus Heresy, the Emperor's Children split into several roving warbands, including the Flawless Host and Angels of Ecstacy. One of these bands was the Rapturous Progeny. Led by the Chaos Lord Chaldrion Kahlesh, the Rapturous Progeny took to the stars in hope of carving their own path in the universe.
A while after the Rapturous Progeny broke off from the Emperor's Children, Slaanesh infiltrated Chaldrion's dreams, appearing in the form of a Keeper of Secrets. The dark prince spoke of power, strength, pleasure, and ecstacy beyond imagination. However, in order to attain such things, Chaldrion needed to collect souls for the Dark Prince.

Chaldrion scoured the galaxy for a method for storing souls. During this search, Chaldrion led a siege on Craftworld Aul'trun in hopes of capturing and interrogating one of their Farseers. During an engagement, While scouring the corpses, Chaldrion's lieutenant and sorcerer Avahrox, detected the prized soul of an eldar trapped in a gem-like stone mounted on the chestplate of a dead guardian. These prized gems held the souls of the race, guarding them from Slaanesh's appetite. With much excitment, Avahrox revealled the discovery to Chaldrion and exclaimed that should the Progeny gather up these stones, Slaanesh could break and devour them all. Pleased, Chaldrion continued the crusade on the Craftworld, and hoarded every spirit stone he could find among the deceased.

Armed with this new knowledge, Chaldrion vowed to drive the Eldar into extinction and feed their souls to his hungry god.

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Hmm. I actually changed it around a bit before reading your responses. Instead of tryign to find Fulgrim's world, Chaldrion is trying to attain his own planet.

Following the Horus Heresy, the Emperor's Children split into several roving warbands, including the Flawless Host and Angels of Ecstacy. One of these bands was the Rapturous Progeny. Led by the Chaos Lord Chaldrion Kahlesh, the Rapturous Progeny took to the stars in hope of carving their own path in the universe.
A while after the Rapturous Progeny broke off from the Emperor's Children, Slaanesh infiltrated Chaldrion's dreams, appearing in the form of a Keeper of Secrets. The dark prince spoke of power, strength, pleasure, and ecstacy beyond imagination. However, in order to attain such things, Chaldrion needed to collect souls for the Dark Prince.

Chaldrion scoured the galaxy for a method for storing souls. During this search, Chaldrion led a siege on Craftworld Aul'trun in hopes of capturing and interrogating one of their Farseers. During an engagement, While scouring the corpses, Chaldrion's lieutenant and sorcerer Avahrox, detected the prized soul of an eldar trapped in a gem-like stone mounted on the chestplate of a dead guardian. These prized gems held the souls of the race, guarding them from Slaanesh's appetite. With much excitment, Avahrox revealled the discovery to Chaldrion and exclaimed that should the Progeny gather up these stones, Slaanesh could break and devour them all. Pleased, Chaldrion continued the crusade on the Craftworld, and hoarded every spirit stone he could find among the deceased.

Armed with this new knowledge, Chaldrion vowed to drive the Eldar into extinction and feed their souls to his hungry god.
I like it, very very good. Only thing I would modify would be to make this seige a group effort from a bunch of different warbands; only one wouldn't be near enough to take on a Craftworld (Iyanden managed to survive direct contact with half of an entire Tyranid Hive Fleet, and Kher-Ys fell only to a massive daemonic incursion).

·
Benevolent Dictator
9,222 Posts
EDIT: Zomg hi Sarathai! Long time no see. Whattup?
Not too much. I'm running lots of projects on the Fantasy end of things, but I figured that I'd come plumb the depths and help out with some 40k too. I keep trying to get back into 40k, it's so unfair: the fluff is beautiful and so much easier to work with, but the rules are too frustrating. I can never find a good footing to start winning games from.

·
Thinks he's a big deal
1,233 Posts
Not too much. I'm running lots of projects on the Fantasy end of things, but I figured that I'd come plumb the depths and help out with some 40k too. I keep trying to get back into 40k, it's so unfair: the fluff is beautiful and so much easier to work with, but the rules are too frustrating. I can never find a good footing to start winning games from.
Lol I hear that. What army?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.