Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first 1500 point Necron army list that I feel works. I am a new player to 40k and Necrons alike, so I'm here to learn from others and to share my experiences, and hopefully help out someone along the way too. ;Y

I have used this list up against 'The Sisters' so far, but am quite confident it would get similar if not better results against other forces. It's definitely going to remain in my list folder - well it is my first! :D

Ok, so here it is... If anyone feels that it could be improved up on please say so! ^^

HQ:
2 x Necron Lord w/ Resurrection Orb, Veil of Darkness and Warscythe. - 420pts (It's worth it)
Both with same wargear.

Elites:
10x Immortal - 280pts

Troops:
20x Warriors - 360pts

Fast Attack:
5x Destroyers - 250pts

Heavy Support:
3x Heavy Destroyer - 195pts

Total: 1505 points - slightly over, but for friendlies it's ok :)

I know it is only 40 models - all being Necron, thus counting towards the phase out count. 10/40 and you phase - it seems tight, but the Gauss fire power in this setup is enough to keep you safe, if you keep back - hopefully :D

There are no close combat units in the army list, pure fire power - what the crons' do best! If you do get into close combat you want it to be with your lord as that's going to be your best chance.

When deploying I deploy my Immortals by each lord (5 bodyguards if you like) - these guys will be the first to deepstike into a forward aggressive position with your lord and his Veil of Darkness. They will also keep the lord safe, and him in return will be able to save them from any instant kill/power weps with his orb. You want to take out any big threats such as tanks the first round if you can, so get them in there if the opportunity is there.

Keep the other lord moving with the rest of your army for now. I deploy him within 6'' of every other unit, as even a unit that only has one model within 6'' of him can still be used to resurrect the entire squad if needs be with the orb - don't leave home without it! Move them all forward as one (warriors/immortals/lord etc) keeping them roughly in the ''orb arc'' You want to be moving the 2nd lord and his immortals for the first turn, and then planning to use you veil in the second when your about to get charged.

Get the destoryers up in front with the first lord you veiled and fire upon the big threats as these beauties have one hell of a range and 3 half decent attacks. Hopefully you'll have taken out your targets/immobilized them and will be ready to bring the rest of your army within firing distance for the second turn.

Close combat is going to get messy, but the orb is here to stop those pesky power weapons from taking out your warriors so easily! If you get into trouble, vwil them to a safer location with your lord and get ready to fire on them - remember he can leave and join units as he likes each movement turn, and as long as your within 6'' you can take whole units at a time.

Keep the gauss fire roaring and take out those key strong points... gauss weapons will destroy ANYTHING... don't bother wasting points on disruption fields.

...I don't know if that made much sense but it worked for me... any comments and suggestions on how to improve anything, please post.

Thanks all,
Sub. ^^

·
King of Librarium's Tombs
7,143 Posts
2 VoD lords!? I wouldnt even recommend one really, but 2 is just unnecessary. Drop one, and maybe a few Immortals so you can afford some more Destroyers (2 units of 4) and some Scarabs.

Split the HeavyD's into 3 units of singles.

·
LO Zealot
1,552 Posts
Oh yes sorry... I forgot to post what I thought! For your Hq choice I think you should just drop it down to one basic foot lord with just a orb; two lords at 1500 its a bit much and like Phoenix I really would'nt advise using VOD altogether unless It's very specificly needed. Elites now Immortals are actually I think a extremely underated unit which people typically only field them with a VOD lord, I myself always field atleast in 1.5k games 15 - 16 and in bigger 2500 games I always take 27 - 30. I honestly think these guys don't need VOD they're range (a effective 24 + 6 ) is more than enough and they pack a huge punch. Anyways away from ranting about my favourite unit, a unit of ten should do fine, Troops; good job there, fast attack try adding atleast 1 more destroyer in and spliting them into 2 squads of 3 and desirable making 2 squads of 4. I would say drop the heavy destroyers... theres alot of mixed feelings about these guys among necron players, check out the Heavy destroyer vs Destroyer thread to find out more about them. Definately add a Monolith into this list, I cant even begin with how helpful a 'lith is try and use it to recycle your units and take out Toughness 5 - 6 (Wraithgaurd, Grey Knights) with the partical whip. Some say that the Monolith should always be deep striked but I prefer to almost never, I've learned to hate DS'ing So with a standard res lor, 10 immortals , 20 warriors , 2 x 4 destroyers , and a monoliths thats give 85 points too play around with , my recomendation would be to add a unit of 7 scarab swarms in. But so far it looks like you've got a pretty good Idea of a effective Necron list and just take time to learn the strengths and weaknesses of our units. If you would like to go down a more close combat based army, something I know little about. Just ask around there is a few people who have CC based lists, Phoenix infact has a very solid CC list.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Lol Pheonix :C ...and I do field the 3 heavies in single units :)

Hmm, guess I overlooked the one per army thing Gauss :D I'll try and bring in the lith' and make a couple of changes then... thanks for the constructive advice, will let you know how I get on!

Sub ^^

·
LO Zealot
1,552 Posts
No problem, you don't even know how many times I got some Necron rules wrong when I first started playing them, even then I was playing the game for several years before, my previous love was tyranids. But once I started Necrons I've hardly battled with my nids .... just so addictive I have to try so hard to atleast devout one day of my weekend to not playing warhammer on average playing 18-20 hours a 2 day weekend. :rofl

·
No Life King
2,819 Posts
Ack, Gauss_Storm, horrible block of pure text! my EYES. :p

Strong for a shooty list, I'd say. ;Y you're on the right track

Suggestions only regard your lords and their equip.
1. Remove Warscythes, you shouldn't need them in a range army. Also, SoL is better anyway

2. take the 80 extra points from the removal of the warscythe and the extra VoD, buy a destroyer, split into 2 sqauds of 3.

3. drop one immortal use your spare 58 points to buy 4 scarabs, lovely little speed bumps that they are. Why use a CC only model in a range army? simple, to have them get in the way. Again think speed bump. You WILL be glad you had them

Have your second lord tromp around providing your warriors with res-orb cover, while your flying circus and destroyers do their dirty work. Throw your scarabs at the closest most threatening enemy and have them slow it down for a round so you don't have to worry about it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts