Librarium Online Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Venerable Old One
1,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Note to mods: Close my other thread in Armies, please.

I'd like some advice from all you seasoned CSM players. As I've said in the other thread, I want to start a new army, and I've decided that I would really love to have a go at CSM, since they have fantastic fluff and a wide combat range of abilities.

But it is this range of possibilities that makes it damn hard to choose. I'd love to field a Khornate army, since I keep hearing of their frenzied troops smashing apart almost any and all comers, but then I hear the same of Black Legion or Iron Warrior armies doing the same but by firepower.

Which legion offers the best tactical choice?

·
850 Posts
Screw the other, weak legions. Go for Death Guard ;) They are a good army and also they can be modified to be either a shooty army, CC army, or a mixture. Also all the Death Guard models have a better toughness, so they can with stand alot of attacks and they are fearless.Also it is easy to paint them and fun to paint them :)

·
Venerable Old One
1,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
But..

The basic Nurgle squad is very expensive. I am looking for cost efficiency, as well as damn funky.

·
Registered
3,580 Posts
I'm not sure if you'd like World Eaters, you don't have a lot of control over the army. Your average CSM squad has 3 attacks on the charge, which is still quite good. With Furious Charge, and by softening the enemy up a little with firepower, they are more than a match for most troops.
Now come the standard questions: do you like close combat, or do you prefer shooting? Do you want to use Daemons? Does any of the Gods appeal to you more than the others? And also quite important, is there a legion that you like better than the others when if comes to background?

·
Registered
3,580 Posts
It would be nice if you were a little more constructive in your replies, ie don't type the name of a legion, type a reason, otherwise you don't really have to bother posting in the first place.

·
Registered
3,580 Posts
Tis a good start anyway. The point is that he's looking for reasons as to why he should pick a certain Legion, meaning he needs to know stuff about them, not just that they're liked by someone.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I would actually suggest emperors children.
They are played by too few, they have some great models and they can make a hell of a force.
With the blastmasters and sonic blasters you got yourself some nasty shooting and they aint shabby in cc either.... And its enough with 6 people in a squad to get a free asp champ (and with that the option of a power weapon :)

·
Venerable Old One
1,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Now that IS funky, but there is the whole camp colour scheme (Somehow when I think of Evil, pink is NOT the colour that comes to mind.) which I don't particularly like.

I'd like to avoid playing Black Legion, however, the Thousand Sons and the World Eaters do look interesting.

·
Registered
167 Posts
About emperors children: According to GW, paint schemes doesnt really matter as long as you can see what kind of model it is, so you could make up your own for your "emperors children". Maybe electric blue/ lich purple or something.

As for World Eaters ans 1k sons.. pretty much each others opposite here...

..World eaters basically cant do anything except charging.. the only firepower youll get is vehicles/dreads. On the other hand they are kinda nasty in cc, especially if you summon a pack of bloodletters at opponents side....

..Thousand Sons have a hard time in CC, troopers can _only_ have bolters and theyre expensive.... 24pts for a single trooper...
...on the other hand, the troopers and termies got 2W.
Magic is expensive but all characters becomes sorcerors so you could probably do some real damage with wind of chaos and bolt of change (or doombolt against lightly armoured foes).

What it comes down to is: what do you want to play? shooty,charging, fast or flexible? The models you like or the models that are good? Deamons or not?

·
Registered
122 Posts
all it boils down to really is what you are like as a person . . .

do you like mystic and lore??
if so go for Thousand Sons :w

do you like blood and gore???
if so go for Khorne :angry:

do you like fetish pleasure???
if so go for Emporers Children :p

((( no one likes nurgle )))

If all of the above apply, go for word Bearers (if you like Daemons) or Black Legion (if you like daemon engines(tanks))

If none of the above apply, go for one of the other undivided legions.
Night Lords (using terror):unsure: , Iron Warriors (schitsophrenic murderers)<_< , and look up the others

·
Registered
231 Posts
i agree with Nemesis_child whats wrong with nurgle i dont play them but i think theyre awesome but anyway i think you should play khorne because they rock in CC and their daemons are the best. Bloodletters and a blood thirster kick ass so much but its whatever you want to pick.

·
Venerable Old One
1,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Death Guard are funky, I'll give you that, but I'd have to go for usual CSM box sets to do any army for cost reasons, aside from Khorne since a box of 12 is worth £15.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
If you were to look for the most funky legion I would go for the red corsairs.
They use the standard list same as the black legion, but there is no fixed colour sheme for them.
Other than that I would go for either the alpha legion or the thousand sons.
The alpha legion purely for the cultists

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.