Librarium Online Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many people are familiar with the short piece of fluff in the Necron Codex detailing the actions of an Alaitoc Farseer who was planning on destroying the Culexus Temple. He looked into the future, trying to figure what the outcome of his actions would be, and saw that the destruction of the temple would lead to the doom of Alaitoc. This leaves us with three possibilities.

1. The temple is secretly controlled by the Necrons and they would destroy the craftworld in retribution for the destruction of the temple. This is unlikely as the necrons are not exactly the kind for retribution; they are more of the kind who would either have destroyed the craftworld beforehand or would take the destruction in stride.

2. The temple is controlled by the Imperium and they would destroy the Craftworld in retribution. This is unlikely, because, as the Farseer said, the Imperium would destroy Alaitoc without a second thought if they thought that they could.

3. The Culexus Temple plays a crucial role in either denying the Necrons recruits to make Pariahs or in the eventual defeat of the C'Tan. The Pariahs are probably a critical part of the Necron's plan to defeat the powerful psychics of the Orks, Eldar, Humans and probably Tyranids as well. As a total Culexus fanboy, I would like to see them be the one way the humans have of defeating C'Tan, but merely as recruit denial is cool too.

Your thoughts?

·
Registered
857 Posts
Well, possibly the Culexus assassins are destined to assassinate someone with warp powers who could stop the C'tan. Remember, they really hate the Warp. It's the only thing that can stop them.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No no no, the fiction implied that destroying the Culexus Temple means that the Alaitoc craftworld would be destroyed. Which probably means that the Culexus temple will play some crucial role in defeating the C'Tan, not in assassinating someone who will defeat them.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I would like to see them be the one way the humans have of defeating C'Tan
Well considering that a C'Tan fears warp powers and a Culexus Assassin is a soulless individual that has no psykic powers at all I would say that this is not the case. Plus it was the C'Tan that changed human DNA a long time ago to create the Pariah Gene, so why would they have created a weapon to harm themselves.

I'd go for the fact that either its because the Assassins are a bane to chaos, so without them maybe a Chaos attack on the Craftworld happens .... when if the assassin temple had still been around this would not happen. Or a second one is that the Deceiver has a lot of Pariahs, so he might not like the Eldar destroying a world full of his creations.

Also its not really a good thing to say that it would deny the C'Tan of Pariah Gene people to use .... if you read the Daemonhunters codex you will come across a story in whick Inquisitor Quixos creates soulguard. Now these are basically the same as Pariahs/Culexus. Also the Emperors personal bodyguard are soulless.

Sput

·
Registered
342 Posts
Well I've heard that just as psykers use warp energy, Culexus assassins use 'Anti-warp' energy which is very harmful to psykers and deamons, I don't know of its affect on C'tan though.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Well.... As long as the evil dudes are wiped out, it doesnt matter much about Alaitoc (AHHH!!! i have shunned my name as an Eldar Commander :sob:)....

·
Registered
857 Posts
Eldrad is dead, by the way. Did you hear? He got sucked into a corrupted Talisman of Vaul.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Well maybe the 4th c'tan, the outsider, is in bondage inside the assassin's temple? We have no definate proof of where the outsider is, so he might be being held there. Still in his tomb which the Culexus assassins found long ago, before the actual start, discovering this 'paraih gene' and out of dire need, curiousness, or hate for pyskers, they adapted it to there cause, keeping the tomb dormant beneath there newly built temple. The destruction of it would wake the outsider, and being the twisted pyschotic freak he supposdly is, he might just be the person who revviles in vengance. And since his captives are now dead, he wishes to destroy those that destroyed his captives.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Well, the temple is definatly controlled by the Imperium. The loss of one of the six (i think) temples to necron corruption would be quite a major event, and would not be overlooked by the master assassin lord of terra. Unless he doesn't know...

I'm not sure if the pariah gene is a result of c'tan intervention or human mutation, but it sure is a useful tool to the necrons. The c'tan have no power in the warp at all (hence why the outsider is trapped in the webway (if the rumours are true) as he can not do anything about it, he is powerless) and thus, a unit of troops who are warp nulls would be very useful against the phychic races. (eldar, chaos, humans)

Quite how the destruction of the temple would lead to the destruction of Alaitoc eludes me, unless its destruction sparks human retaliation or prevents the stopping of a chaos assault. But the removal of pariahs would greatly weaken the necrons. hmmm...

·
Registered
593 Posts
Actually, thinking about it, TheSlayer's idea makes more and more sense the more I think about it. "Pariah" means someone who is an outcast. Outcast = outsider? Could the pariah gene be a direct result of the outsider's manipulation? Could the clexus temple be under the secret rule of the outsider, or are they it's captors? Could the c'tan corruption include the temples of assassins as well as the priesthood of mars? So many questions, so few answers. But then, isn't that always the way with GW?

·
Registered
372 Posts
The outsider is inside the Dark Eldar home world and the final c'tan is the machine god...........make of this what you will.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, i suppose that it is possible that the pariah gene was created by one of the C'Tan, but IIRC the assassin temples (the first six anyway, the fluff says their were others, but they are never mentioned) were created by six individuals who were among the greatest (natural) human warriors around the time of the great crusade. They admired the emperor and what he was trying to do, but knew that they could best serve him from the shadows, and it is implied that they somehow felt unworthy or something about revealing themselves to him. When they finally did, and they revealed how they had helped to bring about his rise to power, the emperor was very impressed and started the assassin temples to help enforce his rule. The temples were Callidus, Culexus, Eversor, Vanus, Venenum, and Vindicare. (I know that the Venenum assassins are extremely stealthy and use poison, definitely not a battlefield kind of assassin, but I still have no clue about the Vanus. Any info would be appreciated)

Since the Emperor was able to wield both positive and negative warp energy, i get the feeling that it would be difficult for Culexus to deceive him. But of course we still don't know; its possible that the Emperor himself was hoodwinked by someone like the Deceiver or the Dragon.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I don't have the codexes to hand at the moment but I would assume that the culexis temples Ld drain ability works on C'Tan as well as any one else. Suddenly having one's Ld reduced to 7 is going to put a crimp in anything short of a gretchins day.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah, being around a culexus assassin with his helmet off is supposed to drive most things insane (demons included) so maybe the C'Tan don't like it either. This is kinda strange considering the fact that they make pariahs anyway, but whatever.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Nah, the clexus temple isn't on mars. Its on some small, isolated, unasuming planet somewhere. It took the eldar a long time to find it, so it must be well hidden.

·
Registered
19 Posts
According to the story the culexus homeworld is a planet that has detatched from it's star system and is wandering through interstellar space, so it would be an ultimate bugger to find.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.