Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok so i have had this idea fow a couple of weeks now that i wanted to do a Mechanicus themed army with its own background for a conversion project (not so much as a useable army but just something awesome looking with good fluff to back it up)

now i know there are few mechanicus codices floating around out there but i have not read them as i did not want it to influence the idea i already had set in my head.

Ok so first of the Cult Mechanicus part of the army will focus mainly on things like Skitarii and a wide variety of Servitors and other crazy mechanicus contraptions.

The Children of the Omnissiah on the other hand are...or rather were, part of the Iron Hands chapter of Space marines that craved the knowledge of anchient technology more so than the rest of their chapter and thus left to join the Adepts of Mars. This panned out well for both the Space Marines and Mechanicus as the Adepts would send the Space Marines on missions to retrieve anchient or lost Technology that would be far too dangerous for their own forces and in return the Space Marines would be granted access to sacred knowledge, better Bionic implants and even on occasion technology that was thought lost by the rest of the imperium such as Volkite weaponry. they where however sworn to secrecy and anyone caught divulging the secrets they had been told would find themselves having a fatal industrial accident or disappearing. however in such cases of mysterious disappearence it would not be long before a new Servitor arrived that looked somewhat familliar...

And thus the group of Iron Hands where then known as Children of the Omnissiah and continue to this day to perform covert and otherwise suicidal missions for the Mechanicus to retrieve the technology long forgotten by the imperium.

Now as far as structure goes the CotO will be part of the mechanicus army and not a seperate force but they will be somewhat limited as to what they have access to (dont want a copypaste of all the Space marine units.

So in each new post i will go into detail a bit more about my armies specific fluff for each of its units all of which are listed below in no specific order.

-Magos
-Tech Priest Coven
-Techmarine
-Thallax Cohort
-Electro Priests
-Skitarii
-Castellax Battle Automata
-Thunderfire Cannon
-Centurian Devestators
-Children of the Omnissiah
-Servitor unit
-Praetorian Battle Servitors
-Murder Servitors
-Corvantis Battle Servitors
-Mechanicum Seige Walker
-Malkite Pattern Ironclad Dreadnaught
-Scout walker Servitor.
-Reaver Pattern Mini Titan.

As always feel free to post your opinions (some of the unit names are WIP so if you can think of anything better then im open to suggestions ;) )

-DAMO.R

·
Premium Member
4,800 Posts
They would hardly need to split off from the Iron Hands to play with the Admech. Maybe they're an Ultramarine successor that got cozy enough with cogboys to use the same rules?

Alternatively, you could say they aren't Space Marines at all, just combat servitors bulked up on servos and hydraulics in powered armor. Mix Catachan Guard bits with Tactical squad bits, add some greenstuffed robes and extra limbs and you'll have a blast with converting. Just be sure to include some standardization for the sake of WYSIWYG.

The Children of the Omnissiah... left to join the Adepts of Mars.
The High Lords wouldn't allow this since it violates Guilliman's separation of powers in the Heresy aftermath. Marines and Admech can be best friends but must retain separate command structures... which, I suppose, is why the Iron Hands aren't already in rust-colored bathrobes.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Sounds like an awesome project,
Main problem I have with it though is the separation of power after the Horus went bonkers as Intrepid pointed out as well as the =][= having a field day when they discover this, and they undoubtedly will with a secret of this magnitude.

His idea of using 'super servitors' seems like a solid option. If you'd like them to be a tad more self sufficient maybe make them 'Super Skitari' instead as Skitari are augmented by default it isn't that hard to imagine a Magos going a bit overboard in creating a squad of Skitari that have taken the enhancement to the next level and being 50% Astartes in terms of hormone treatment, organ transplants etc.

I'm sure the Iron Hands are happy to trade their flesh for some robotics :p

·
Premium Member
1,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Sounds like an awesome project,
Main problem I have with it though is the separation of power after the Horus went bonkers as Intrepid pointed out as well as the =][= having a field day when they discover this, and they undoubtedly will with a secret of this magnitude.

His idea of using 'super servitors' seems like a solid option. If you'd like them to be a tad more self sufficient maybe make them 'Super Skitari' instead as Skitari are augmented by default it isn't that hard to imagine a Magos going a bit overboard in creating a squad of Skitari that have taken the enhancement to the next level and being 50% Astartes in terms of hormone treatment, organ transplants etc.

I'm sure the Iron Hands are happy to trade their flesh for some robotics :p
Ok you both make very valid points and for that i am gratefull (to be honest i did kinda make it up as i was typing it as my main focus had been on the varied types of Servitor that i was going to include and i dont have the greatest knowledge of the Astartes)

so the Children of the Omnissiah are a type of beefed up Skitarii that undergo a similar process to becoming space marines however it involves less gene enhancement and favours bionic implants and are outfitted with power armour and Astartes weapons and are on occasion given access to technology thought lost such as Volkite Weaponry.

now Battle Servitors and Praetorian Servitors are pretty well established fluff wise (same with Murder servitors actually) so really the only difference with them in my army will be the equiptment they will be outfitted with. for example a new type of Servo Arm called a power loader that is used for heavy lifting and maintenance that effectively doubles the strength of the user but remains quite agile despite its strength. then with Praetorian servitors, to deal with the growing number of fortifications being used on battlefields it is now quite common for them to be outfitted with Seige Drills in addition to their ranged weaponry.

Praetorian Overseers however are created with the purpose of guiding squads of Praetorians into battle and have been compared to living dreadnaughts and are in some respects better than the mechanical versions. Resembling a heavily armoured Praetorian servitor they sacrifice the ability to carry heavy weapons in favour of a pair of Power Loaders with built in support weapons, which combined with their already enhanced strength allows them to easily rip apart battle tanks or smash infantry into red paste. some are even known to have chest mounted weapons similar to those of Centurian devestators. their primary function however is recieving direct orders from their masters which are then relayed to the rest of the Praetorian unit allowing for on the go changes in their mission parameters making them terrifyingly effective killing machines.

-DAMO.R

·
Registered
718 Posts
The 'new' Children of the Omnissiah sounds reasonable, I can easily imagine the Admech implanting additional hearts, poison glands and giving the Skitarii hormonal stimuli to enhance muscle and bone growth, some things like the Sus-An Membrane and the use of actual gene-seed is out of the question I think, then again your Skitarii don't need those anyway. :p

The stuff about the different kinds of servitors sound awesome, and those Praetorians sound like a nasty bunch of..well whatever they are (super servitors? humans gone mad?).

Especially curious to those 'murder servitors', are those basically a type of acro-flaggelants?

·
Premium Member
1,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The stuff about the different kinds of servitors sound awesome, and those Praetorians sound like a nasty bunch of..well whatever they are (super servitors? humans gone mad?).

Especially curious to those 'murder servitors', are those basically a type of acro-flaggelants?
Both Praetorians and Murder Servitors are both official things (although the Praetorian Overseer is my own original thing) Praetorian Servitors are Ogryn sized killing machines (often made from mind wiped Ogryns) that commonly wield Assault Cannons or other heavy weaponry as easily as Skitarii wield Lasguns.

Murder Servitors are Hunched evil things that are smaller and faster than regular servitors. often employed by the Inquisition or kept aboard prison ships the stalk the corridors and track down any intruders or escaped convicts before mutilating their prey and dragging the lifeless corpse back to their masters. so in my mechanicus force they will be employed to swiftly slaughter an enemy leader or attack from where they least expect.

-Damo.R

·
Premium Member
1,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Its been a while but im not ready to abandon this thread just yet. just needed to refill my creative juices. (i dont have much to begin with) Anyway lets begin.

Magos Corvantis-

He became known as a prominent figure among the cult mechanicus with his creation of the "Synaptic Data Feed". A type of bionic device designed to replace the half of the brain that is unused completley as opposed to the regular enhancements that the mechanicus use. the first few trials of the device where unsuccessfull as it is a high risk procedure and left the subjects brain dead and fit only to be used as servitors. Magos Corvantis was quickly becoming a laughing stock so he had to prove that his device could work...so he used it on himself. The operation was a complete success, he could see all the blueprints the Mechanicus had floating around in his head all he needed was the parts to build things.

He found he was able to process a million new ideas at once in the space of a few seconds. It was not without its side affects however, as his personality became that of cold hard logic and seemed to look down upon those that did not posess what he deemed a sufficient ammount of bionic upgrades, including any Inquisitors that came round on routine inspections (much to their annoyance)
after a time he began asking himself questions...and his Synapse Data Feed solved them.

"Why have arms When Servo arms have far more practical applications?"

"Why have legs when a tracked platform with teleporter matrix is much more efficient?"

"Why have a nervous system when pain is such an inconveniance?"

"Why have skin when metal is much more durable?"

Eventually after several more such questions and an equal number of procedures Magos Corvantis was nothing more than Half a brain and a few vital organs encased in metal. Though some believe this to be bordering on abomination those true believers in the Omnissiah believe that he has achieved true understanding of the machine. His legs replaced with a tracked platform allowing him greater speed and a teleport matrix should the need arise to climb stairs, his arms each ending in clamps or other tools allowing him to construct new machines, preform bionic implants or deconstruct an enemy should the need arise. He often heads out onto the battlefield to oversee the field testing of his latest creations, carrying a heavy conversion beamer should the situation escalate. In these cases where he is present on the field most of the Imperial Guard and even some Inquisitors have been known to keep their distance from him as he often seems to be measuring them up for a limb replacement or an implant.

Now his main focus is on the creation and perfection of the Corvantis Battle Servitors (often nicknamed tank servitors by Imperial Guardsmen) who are the failed results of Synaptic Data Feed operations that are then converted to Servitors, grafted with a heavy weapon and given a similar type of tracked platform to Magos Corvantis and used on the battlefield as a fast moving heavy infantry and tank hunting unit that can traverse rough terrain with ease.

·
Premium Member
4,800 Posts
My only complaint is that such extensive brain augmetics are already commonplace in the AdMech. More than a few senior-level Magi have reduced themselves to overclocked brains in jars, for example Magos Korveylan in the second Grey Knights book. I like the "mad scientist" direction, though. If Corvantis uses suspect, unsourced or newly-invented technology in building his little army then I could see the AdMech complaining to the Inquisition about him and the Inqs not quite comprehending the problem... good story potential there. Or, you could flip it around and have Corvantis be the AdMech's in-house version of the Inquisition. That would totally explain an obsession with high-powered combat servitors.

·
Registered
718 Posts
If you are interested in more about the AdMech, I suggest reading Priest of Mars and its' sequel Lord of Mars, both are exceptionally well written novels from Black Library about a AdMech explorator fleet following the footsteps of some legendary Magos.
What might be interesting about it is that there's a Magos in the novel (I forgot his name, I'll look it up when I get home Monday) that seems very similar to your Magos Corvantis.
As well how the 'brain' or 'mind' of the various kinds of Magos actually work. Some interesting and fun research to do if you like to read ;)

It sounds good, only issue I have is that the 'Synaptic Data Feed' doesn't sound all that special, in the novels I mentioned I believe pretty much all the Magos have it or some form of it.

·
Premium Member
1,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Yeah its a WIP so im still working on a few of the names and minor details but the name "Magos Corvantis" has really stuck with me so i will be keeping that.

Would it be better if the device actually housed a Machine Spirit? or do they have those too?

I quite like the idea of him being the Mechanicus version of an Inquisitor though, which again would probably be a bit of an annoyance to the Inquisition as well.

The following is an example of a conversation between Corvantis and an Inquisitor (imagine Corvantis personality to be that of Spock from the Star Trek films with a mechanical tone of voice and just cold hard logic)

Inquisitor: "Please inform your superiors that i am here to make the routine inspection of your facility"

Corvantis: "That will not be nescessary as i have already performed a full and thorough inspection of the facility and filed my report with the Fabricator General. I have the relevant data if you wish to report back to your superiors. Manufactorum productivity output up 7.32%, Adamantium vat 9 empty, awaiting re-supply in 3 days, worker deaths in last month 9, No suspicious activity to repo..."

I: "Yes well now im sure thats all well and good but i have a duty to uphold and i shall be carrying out my own inspection"

C: "That is highly illogical as i have already performed a full inspection that is approximatley 93.65% more efficiant than any inspection carried out by previous members of the Inquisition"

I: "Now look here you! Im carrying out my inspection wether you like it or not! you may accompany me if that will make you feel better"

C: "That would be highly counter productive as i could perform a thousand important tasks while you dither about completing a less efficient version of an inspection that i have already completed, As for how i feel, i fail to see how that is relevant"

I: "How dare you!...I am a member of the Inquisition and it is my duty to the emperor to seek out heresy and i will not let some insolent robot stop me from doing my job!"

C: "I am fully aware of who you are and what you do ++Inquisitor Travus Grax - Ordo Hereticus++ But i fail to see how informing me of what i already know is in any way a productive endeavour. I am not trying to stop you from doing anything as i am merely informing you that it has already been done, why can you not understand this? perhaps there is a loose wire behind your bionic eye that is causing cognitive impairment, i would be happy to take a look at it if you schedule an appointment. now if you will excuse me there is a Servitor caught in the door mechanism for sector 27-Y and it requires my immediate attention. I have had this Servo Skull compile my full report for you to give to your superiors and i am sure they will find it most satisfactory. Good day Inquisitor and may the Omnissiah's blessing be upon you"

Making the model for this guy will be fun. Imagine a Tech Marine with shoulder mounted Heavy Conversion Beamer, arms replaced with Servo arms and a Cyclops Demolition Vehicle instead of legs.

Also the Battle servitors that he makes are not his own private army as the design has been approved and he is just personally overseeing the field testing of the prototypes before they go into mass production.

Priests of Mars has caught my eye but i rarely get time to read unfortunatley but i think its something i will try and pick up in the future.

-DAMO.R

·
Registered
718 Posts
I also like the name, easy to remember without being cheesy or over-used. ('Magos Bob') and the idea of an 'in-house Inquisitor' sort of Magos. It makes sense to me that they have that within the AdMech, the political tug-of-war between the Adeptus Mechanicus and The Inquisition and all that jazz.

The concept of the Machine Spirit is a bit vague to me, I believe that pretty much every device has a Machine Spirit, and the bigger usually means a 'stronger' the spirit.
You could say that every item has a personality of some sort, some Marines described feeling the blood lust of their Bolters' machine spirit and in Seventh Retribution, a Crimson Fists novel, The pilot of a Stormraven describes the machine spirit of his age old aircraft being eager, quick to respond, an apex predator and the machine spirit of another, newer, Stormraven as being more sluggish, less experienced.
Princepts of particularly large Titans are constantly in danger of having their minds overwhelmed by the power of the Machine Spirit (which seem to actually do that on purpose), literally destroying their minds. This is from Hellsreach I think.

You could, perhaps, make the device being able to capture or force a powerful Machine Spirit in a object of choosing. The possibilities with that is insane.

·
Premium Member
1,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You could, perhaps, make the device being able to capture or force a powerful Machine Spirit in a object of choosing. The possibilities with that is insane.
So a small device able to house a machine spirit that would normally be in something much bigger, something like that?

on another note i have decided that the regular Servitors in my force will be split into two groups. Gun servitors which are ALL armed with at the very least a Heavy bolter and Combat servitors specifically designed for Space Hulk missions which are all outfitted with a servo arm and either a Melta Gun or a Flamer.

·
Son of LO
4,529 Posts
Just to note, and this is oldish fluff so keep that in mind, a machine spirit can mean two things.

The "machine spirit" of a land raider or titan is physical device which functions as a kind of artificial intelligence, although since the Imperium has massive issues with inorganic computation it's strongly implied to be biomechanical in nature. They also don't really seem to have higher functions or consciousness, which is why a Titan still needs a princeps to pilot it. Without that, it would just be a mad beast with little to no tactical utility.

Generally though, when people in 40k talk about machine spirits it's just an anthropomorphism of how a machine works. If a machine stops working, jams or doesn't work very well, we'd consider it to be random chance. People in the 41st millennium would see that kind of thing as related to the state and individual personality of the device's machine spirit. In our world, you maintain devices to keep their physical components from breaking down. In the 41st millennium, you maintain devices in order to keep the machine spirit healthy and happy so that it will not fail you. The result is effectively the same, but the logic is different.

It's also the reason why innovation and alien technology is so frowned upon. According to Adeptus Mechanicus, only humanity has the spark of true genius which allows for interaction with the machine God and his spirits. Aliens, not being aware of the existence of these things, enslave and pervert machine spirits when they build their technology, as do humans when they innovate too much. Whereas we might see machines as a tool to do a job, followers of the Adeptus Mechanicus see machines as things they themselves must aspire to serve and be like.

·
Premium Member
1,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ah i see...

I shall have to think about this a bit more. On another note i actually purchased some of the models today so hopefully i will be able to get some pictures up at some point.

·
Premium Member
1,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Fear not this thread is not dead (haha...rhymes...)

I have been busy with various projects and...yeah i just forgot. but now im back and I have been thinking about a few things with regards to my Mechanicus army. First thing is im considering removing Murder Servitors as a seperate unit and having maybe a couple in a command squad type unit.

Here is an updated list of units that will currently be included in my Ad Mech army

HQ

-Magos Corvantis
-Sergeant Mandias
-Magos Dominus
-Magos Mechanicus
-Mechanicum command unit.

Units that can form a Command Unit:

-Tech Priests
-Battle Salvage Servitors
-Murder Servitors
-Medicae Servitors
-Caligraphous Servitors
-Munitorum Servitors
-Simulacra Drones
-Tech Assistant Drones
-Servo Skulls

Troops

-Combat Servitors
-Gun Servitors
-Children of the Omnissiah Grav Team (all armed with Grav Guns and Combi Grav weapons)
-Children of the Omnissiah Heavy Fire Team (come as standard with Stormbolters, up to 5 may take heavy weapons)
-Children of the Omnissiah Tech Guardians (all armed with Volkite Chargers/Calivers)
-Tech Thralls
-Thallax Cohort
-Skiitari

Elites

-Praetorian Battle Servitors
-Praetorian Combat Servitors
-Castellax Battle-Automata
-Children of the Omnissiah Volkite Devestators (all armed with Volkite Culverins)
-Children of the Omnissiah Iron Defenders (all armed with Siege Shields and Bolters with some special weapons)
-Myrmidon Secutors
-Iron Forge Dreadnaught
-Mechanicum Knight Squire

Fast Attack

-Scout Raptors
-Electro Priests
-Iron Wing Gunships
-Corvantis Battle Servitors

Heavy Support

-Sicarian Battle Tank
-Myrmidon Destructors
-Myrmidon Siege Walker
-Children of the Omnissiah Grav Destroyers (all in Centurian armour with Grav Cannons)

Super Heavy Support

-Mechanicum Knight Errant
-Mechanicum Knight Paladain
-Mechanicum Knight Crusader
-Baneblade Magnus

Just to clarify that this army is intended to be Apocalypse only hence the strange FOC placement of some of the units but i can assure you that most units are exceptionally powerfull and would be considered broken in regular 40k, for Example Gun Servitors are Troops and can be fielded in units of 10 and ALL come with Heavy Bolters as Standard with up to 3 per 5 members able to upgrade to any mixture of Lascannons, Plasma Cannons, Multi Meltas, Autocannons, Missile Launchers or Multi Lasers for varying points costs.

so as you can see they are not to be trifled with.

Will hopefully get some descent pics at some point as well as post a few experimental rules!

-DAMO.R

1 - 15 of 15 Posts