Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I recently discovered a Gamesworkshop store has popped up near where I live and it has rekindled my interest in the game. I dabbled a bit in 3rd and 4th edition, but I never really got established in the game. I'm hoping that this store will have a community that can keep me engaged. Anyways, I love walkers, and know they go through good and bad phases -- What I am wondering is how good are walkers in the current edition of the game?

1. What walkers to do you see fielded against you most often?

2. What walkers do you find yourself using or including in most list?

3. Whats is the most competitive walker in terms of points in your opinion?

4. What's the least competitive walker in terms of points in your opinion?

Thanks guys,
zero

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
Nice thread.

Dreadnoughts have become very popular in recent times due to the fact they can drop pod into the heart of the enemy. The DP assault rules have also made this rather reliable, coupled with the new options for dreads means they are seeing more and more playtime.

Sentinels in a guard army are nice but the guard have other, generally better, FA options open to them so are often left at home.

Eldar war walkers are downright dangerous, they can pump out a vast number of shots and can rip a unit apart if the conditions are right. However, they are vulnerable if taken alone and pricey to buy so most eldar players go for the other, generally seen as better options.

I am onlty speaking from personal experience of what I have seen/come up against though.

·
LO Zealot
4,014 Posts
1. Defilers and dreadnoughts

Of course, I play against a lot of marine and chaos marine opponents.

2. Killa kans and soul grinders

My personal favorites, as they add a lot of shooting power to armies that need them badly, although the cost in real $ can put people off. Of course, killa kans aren't that difficult to create out of spare parts.

3. War Walkers (outflanking) and dreadnoughts (in drop pods).

The words in parenthesies are the reason they're the most compeitive. The main problem with walkers in general are keeping them alive long enough to be effective at shooting, and then getting them close enough to the enemy to assault. Outflanking and drop pods are the best way to achieve this.

4. Penitent engines and sentinels.

They aren't necessarily 'bad', but they're both a little underpowered for their point cost, and more importantly, there are much better units in those armies to take. Taking penitent engines means you're giving up exorcists, and taking sentinels mean giving up valkyries/vendettas.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys, these are exactly the kind of answers I am looking for. Keep 'em coming!

However, it seems the general consensus is that Sentinels are not all tha great, which is too bad because those are the walkers that interest me the most. I know that in an ideal world everyone should play with models they like, but lets be honest -- people don't and I don't want to restrict myself too much. At the same time, i'm not in it just to win.

Is there anyway to ally up or induct with the current codexs and include Dreads with Sents in the same army list? Is this viable?

-zero

·
Registered
102 Posts
I just played a game today and I'd say my sentinels were men of the match. I took two of the armored sentinels and was able to get them into combat with 6 grey knight terminators that my opponent dropped off of a valkyrie in turn one. Five rounds later the battle was over and the sentinels were still in combat with those terminators and had even managed to kill one.

And this was against a unit that could actually harm them. I often see other guard players tie up marines and other units that the guardsmen couldn't handle on their own.

I have to agree though that Soul Grinders are the ultimate walkers.

·
LO Zealot
4,014 Posts
I agree with the above posters, sentinels can definitely pull their weight, and aren't 'bad', but they don't hit nearly as hard as dreadnoughts, and there are more competitive IG units that fill the same niche. If you don't care about that, and just want something that's fun and can hold its own, then sentinels are fine.

The only way to have both dreads and sentinels in the same list is to play Daemonhunters and use allied Imperial Guard (I"m pretty sure that still works, but you should double check the codex to make sure). However, that will only give you one unit of sentinels, and the dreadnoughts wouldn't have drop pods.

·
3,395 Posts
1. What walkers to do you see fielded against you most often?
Defilers, followed by war walker squadrons and SM dreads.
The defilers were always fielded as long ranged artillery pieces and never seemed to have any luck against my seraphim.

2. What walkers do you find yourself using or including in most list?
As a WH player i've only used the penitent engine in non serious games, though watching nine of them in a line plough through massed zerkers was fun.

3. Whats is the most competitive walker in terms of points in your opinion?
Regular dreads are squat (easy to cover) and well armed/armoured for their cost.
Killa kans are cheap and have useful weapon options in an orc force.
I've not faced any soul grinders yet but i've heard good things about them.

4. What's the least competitive walker in terms of points in your opinion?
Penitent engines, twice the cost of a kan and far move vulnerable to damage due to their open topped rule, massive size (you can see bits of them over landraiders!), and rage.

If they get into combat and roll well they can smash almost anything (apart from other dreads and monsterous creatures which easily shred them). But only a mistake by your opponent will get them there.

Is there anyway to ally up or induct with the current codexs and include Dreads with Sents in the same army list? Is this viable?
As mynameisgrax said up to 3 dreads and a squadron of normal or armoured sentinels can be included in a Daemonhunter list - still valid provided you take a minimum of one GK hero, two DH troops choices, and two platoons of imperial guard infantry.

·
LO Zealot
4,014 Posts
I didn't mention it, but you wanted as many walkers as possible, than your best army is the Orks. You can fit 9 Killa Kans and 2 Deff Dreads into a normal list. It's not the most competitive setup (the killa kans alone, with no deff dreads would be better) but it's the most you can fit, that I know of.

If you want competitiveness, the best walker list would be a vanilla Space Marine one, with the HQ that allows you to take Dreads as heavy and elite choices (Master of the Forge? Something like that?) and giving some or all of the dreads a drop pod with deathwind missile launchers. That'd be pretty brutal.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts